By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does anyone still think Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros. 4/Price Cuts/etc. will save Wii U? <(o_O<)

Wii U doomed to Gamecube-like sales?

Yep, sadly... 340 49.85%

No! Believe it! 340 49.85%

Total:680
Einsam_Delphin said:
sc94597 said:
DarkD said:

most of the best games have come and gone. 

Which are? I'm still pretty sure Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart haven't been released yet. 

This is true, but they're not going to change the Wii U's sales trajectory.

That is extremely unlikely. But I will take this to mean that they will not "significantly" change the Wii U's sales trajectory. I'd argue that there is no way to know that with any degree of accuracy. There are too many factors involved and no way to make any idealized descriptive models (trajectories.) However; more games means more audiences targetted, and that means that there will be some people who buy the console who would otherwise not buy the console, or who are holding back. I still haven't got a Wii U myself, but if Zelda or Metroid were even announced, I'd buy one within the month of their announcement. Right now, I can wait, upon their announcement/release I cannot wait. I'm not saying my situation scales to the entire population, but it is just as silly to say there will be no difference as there is to say the WIi U will be "saved." All we can say is that more games will help, according to logic. How much? Nobody knows, the market is too unpredictable and too dependent on multiple factors (including externalities.) 

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
the2real4mafol said:
How much does the Wii U have to sell before it's 'saved'?

Yes, it would be nice to know what "saved" means in this case.

Even if it started beating the Xbox One somehow, Wii U would still be a flop to these people.  

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Einsam_Delphin said:
oniyide said:
for people who keep asking for the definition of saved. its right there in the OP. Being saved from GC like sales.

THANK YOU!!!

Like jeez people! If the OP and the Poll weren't enough to spell it out for yah, I even went and clarified what I meant after the first dozen people asked, but yet, you all still kept asking! xD

How much higher than GC does it need to go to be saved? Is 21.75m saved?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

sc94597 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
sc94597 said:
DarkD said:

most of the best games have come and gone. 

Which are? I'm still pretty sure Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart haven't been released yet. 

This is true, but they're not going to change the Wii U's sales trajectory.

That is extremely unlikely. But I will take this to mean that they will not "significantly" change the Wii U's sales trajectory. I'd argue that there is no way to know that with any degree of accuracy. There are too many factors involved and no way to make any idealized descriptive models (trajectories.) However; more games means more audiences targetted, and that means that there will be some people who buy the console who would otherwise not buy the console, or who are holding back. I still haven't got a Wii U myself, but if Zelda or Metroid were even announced, I'd buy one within the month of their announcement. Right now, I can wait, upon their announcement/release I cannot wait. I'm not saying my situation scales to the entire population, but it is just as silly to say there will be no difference as there is to say the WIi U will be "saved." All we can say is that more games will help, according to logic. How much? Nobody knows, the market is too unpredictable and too dependent on multiple factors (including externalities.) 

So basically you're saying we shouldn't even discuss this. I'd agree, but we're on a sales site, so yeah. :L
Besides it can be pretty entertaining!

zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
oniyide said:
for people who keep asking for the definition of saved. its right there in the OP. Being saved from GC like sales.

THANK YOU!!!

Like jeez people! If the OP and the Poll weren't enough to spell it out for yah, I even went and clarified what I meant after the first dozen people asked, but yet, you all still kept asking! xD

Has to be closer to N64 than GC, as then it's not GC-like sales, it's N64-like sales!

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
oniyide said:

THANK YOU!!!

Has to be closer to N64 than GC, as then it's not GC-like sales, it's N64-like sales!

Alrighty, but why is GC doomed but N64 saved?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
oniyide said:

THANK YOU!!!

Alrighty, but why is GC doomed but N64 saved?

Because this thread is about Wii U and how it's currently doomed to sell less than the GC in the same time frame, but if it somehow turns things around and starts selling like the N64 or any other system really, then it'll have been saved from selling like the GC.

I think the Xbox One is in more trouble. Nintendo have the biggest collection of system selling franchises in the business, Microsoft have bugger all in comparison.

archbrix said:
Bundling Mario Kart upon its release with a drop to $249 is their best bet, IMO. Same with Smash this holiday. Yes, that would cost Nintendo money, but I think that would actually sell pretty well (and more consoles sold means more games sold) and they wouldn't need another price drop for a while.

The alternative of just selling the console for $299 and having to buy the new hit game on top of that (which is what is happening with Donkey Kong) isn't going to deliver results. I don't want to see these games being sent out to die.

Next Christmas period will be interesting. The price will maybe low enough for parents to buy it for their children. The "hardcore" boys will maybe buy it for Smash Bros. Then Wii U will have Bayonetta for the hardcore boys and the promise of ZeldaU and X on the horizon. For families and casuals there will be plenty. As always Nintendo will keep the price of old games at a high level ( I wonder how they manage that) making them a profit on both old and new games. It will be yet an  interesting christmas.

snowdog said:
I think the Xbox One is in more trouble. Nintendo have the biggest collection of system selling franchises in the business, Microsoft have bugger all in comparison.

Eh, not really, as the Xbox One is currently being sold in less territorys at $200 more with a weaker library, yet it's doing better than the Wii U, who has already exhausted most of it's potential sales boosters (more games, price cuts, bundles, etc.), whereas the One has not, and while they failed to do anything for Wii U, they could tell a different story for the Xbox One.