By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does anyone still think Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros. 4/Price Cuts/etc. will save Wii U? <(o_O<)

Wii U doomed to Gamecube-like sales?

Yep, sadly... 340 49.85%

No! Believe it! 340 49.85%

Total:680
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:

Not when we're strictly talking about price. He said the Wii U will soon be the cheapest option, hence I said that didn't help the gamecube, and so that's the end of that!

Yes and im saying when Gamecube was the cheapest it was only by $50 for the majority of its life, when It was $149 PS2 was $179-199 and when It was $99 PS2 was $129-179. If Wii U can reach $199-249 before PS4 gets a price cut than it will have a $150-200 price advantage which puts it in a much better position that Gamecube vs PS2.

U seem to think just because something didnt help Gamecube means it cant help Wii U and im explaining to u how its not as cut and dry as that since they are differences that ur not taking into account.

Oh I don't seem to think that. I know it as anyone would if they just looked at how Wii U is already a good $100 cheaper than PS4 plus it comes with a free game, then looked at the sales.

Wii U-$299 vs PS4-$399 is the equivelent of GC-$149 vs PS2-$199. Back in 2002/2003 a DVD player and better 3rd party support were worth an additional $50, here in 2014 a Blu-Ray player, 3rd party support, better online and more multimedia/social features is worth an extra $100.

If (this is a big if) Wii U can reach $199 before PS4 gets a price reduction than it is in a better position in terms of price than GC ever was against PS2. Im not saying its gauranteed to help Wii U more than It did for GC, im just saying that a $200 price advantage is not the same as a $50-100 price advantage so its not fair to simply shrug it off by saying it didnt help GC so it cant help Wii U.

I don't even need the Gamecube as an example, as the current sales tell all! Cheaper price is doing zilch for Wii U. It's even being outsold by a console that's $200 more expensive, $250 if you count it's lack of a pack in game. And let's not forget how it was selling just as badly even when the PS4/XO didn't exist yet!

Around the Network
EldergooseIV said:
Heres the draw guys, directly compared to Gamecube, Wii U is about 3 million behind in the same timespan. Thats not so bad considering by gamecubes first full year and a half on the market it already had Smash Bros, a new Zelda, Metroid, a new mario kart on the way and a bunch of third party titles. I think we should consider mk8 and smash before we make all these repetitive Wii U is DOOOOOOOMED threads

I think you should consider actually reading what this thread about! I mean how could you have even come in here without atleast reading the title, which should tell you that MK8 n SSB4 have infact been taken into consideration.

Einsam_Delphin said:

I don't even need the Gamecube as an example, as the current sales tell all! Cheaper price is doing zilch for Wii U. It's even being outsold by a console that's $200 more expensive, $250 if you count it's lack of a pack in game. And let's not forget how it was selling just as badly even when the PS4/XO didn't exist yet!

So if u think being cheaper is doing zilch for Wii U than u believe it would be selling the same amount it currently is even if it was the same price as PS4/One.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

So if u think being cheaper is doing zilch for Wii U than u believe it would be selling the same amount it currently is even if it was the same price as PS4/One.

Good sir you clearly have no idea what idea I believe in!

Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

U just said it, zilch means nothing. if being cheaper is doing nothing for Wii U that means it would be selling at its current pace even if it wasnt cheaper.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

U just said it, zilch means nothing. if being cheaper is doing nothing for Wii U that means it would be selling at its current pace even if it wasnt cheaper.

Nope, nowhere did I say "Wii U would sell the same if priced the same PS4/XO," and zilch was an obvious exaggeration and I'm sure you knew what I ment, but you're just nitpicking so you have something to go on about.

Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Nope, nowhere did I say "Wii U would sell the same if priced the same PS4/XO," and zilch was an obvious exaggeration and I'm sure you knew what I ment, but you're just nitpicking so you have something to go on about.

I was hoping u would say that. So if zilch was an exaggeration than u believe that being cheaper is helping Wii U to a certain extent. So if being $100 cheaper is somewhat helping Wii U than why wouldnt being $200 cheaper help it even more?

zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

I was hoping u would say that. So if zilch was an exaggeration than u believe that being cheaper is helping Wii U to a certain extent. So if being $100 cheaper is somewhat helping Wii U than why wouldnt being $200 cheaper help it even more?

You were hoping I'd see through your ruse? Well I did, so needless to say I'm not gonna keep on with you and your 20 questions on a topic so miniscule n irrelevant just so you can keep talking! This thread isn't about can anything help Wii U sell more in general, it's about it outselling the GC. If you were trying to say price cuts are somehow gonna change it's trajectory, then all I need say is they've never done so for any Nintendo home console in the past. Nothing from the usual console cycle (more games, price cuts, etc.) is gonna do anything (in terms of outselling GC) at this point. We've already seen evidence of this after SM3DW + other games + price cut + new bundles + advertising + holidays had no long term effects (again, in terms of changing trajectory and outselling GC).