By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does anyone still think Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros. 4/Price Cuts/etc. will save Wii U? <(o_O<)

Wii U doomed to Gamecube-like sales?

Yep, sadly... 340 49.85%

No! Believe it! 340 49.85%

Total:680
Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:
Too much stuff

In 2014 -  MK8 & SSB with a console selling at $299 bundle price.
In 2015 -  A console that include multiple Mario games, MK8 & SSBU..... big new release of Animal Crossing U; Metroid U, Monolith's X & Zelda U for 2015 and $199-249.99 MK8 WIIU bundle. No more competition from Xbox 360 and PS3. First console version of Pokemon??

See my last response to point 2. More of the same is not gonna do anything. How many times must it be said for you to understand! The Wii U has already gotten games, already gotten price cuts, already gotten new bundles, etc, and is still selling worse than Gamecube. Speaking of which, the Gamecube also had Mario Kart, Metroid, Animal Crossing, Zelda, price cuts, bundles, etc., yet still sold worse than it's predecessor the N64, who with most of those same games still sold worse than the SNES, which sold worse than the NES! Nintendo consoles selling worse than their predecessor has always been the trend sadly.

The Wii managed to become an exception to this trend because it did something different, being Motion Controls + the Wii ___ series, though those have run their course. The only thing outside the norm you've brought up is a mainline home console Pokemon game, but the creators have said they're sticking to handhelds, which you know is true after they still didn't make one even though the GC coulda used it.

Btw, I think it'd be stupid of them not to do another price cut this year to go along with the biggest game the system will ever get, and Monolith's X is slated to release this year, not that the game will have any impact on long term HW sales, same with pretty much all games at this point really. :L

I don't think Nintendo will drop the price till September 2014. Here lies the biggest problem with the WiiU - its price. The wii sold at $249 when it was first released back in 2006, the Wii was selling not just to the hardcore gamers but the casual market. At $249 the Wii was cheap enough for an impulse buy by consumers. 

Nintendo produce the WiiU targeting the same casual market without actually having an impulse & casual friendly market price. The Wiiu is simply selling to hardcore Nintendo fans. The Gamecube was never after the casual market; Nintendo was going up against Sony and Microsoft trying to capture the hardcore gamers and failed at it. It found its niche with kid friendly games. The Xbox 360 has actualy manage to steal away some of the casual market with their $199 XBox 360 + Kinect consoles from the Wii and now the WiiU.

But, going forward as Xbox 360 and PS3 sales drop the WiiU can recapture that same casual market with a $249 WiiU bundle. When going up only against the PS4 and Xbox one the WiiU can exercise the price advantage over PS4 & Xbox One and the unique features of the WiiU will differentiate from these consoles. The WiiU is in a complete different consoles war then GC was against PS2/Xbox. The transition period of November 2012-2013 as hurt the WiiU because from a price point the system was being compared to the PS3 and Xbox 360 giving it a disadvantage, this will reverse back as an advantage in the current generation.

Around the Network

Its near impossible for two of Nintendo's best selling games to save the Wii U.The Wii U is in a very bad state and the console is not bad at all.

I think it can still win the generation..

--General reasons why it's just wrong to judge anything yet--

The generation is just startet,, and like we saw last generation.. it can shift very fast. (all 3 was best selling at some point)

The consoles is only at "20%".. There will be new models, new services and new preperials (VR and NFC comes to mind)

The "casuals" have not yet entered the generation, and we don't know yet what "casual console of the gen" will be

--Why i think wii-u will win.

The Nintendo game combo.. (the mighty ten) in HD more pretty and fast than ever..

Nintendo way of doing things

And like i said before.. wii-u are so prepared for VR.. And be sure Nintendo are working to get the headset working perfect.. (and have been for the last 20 years)

I would say there is a 50% chance that Nintendo show us a working headset at this years e3..

yvanjean said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:

I don't think Nintendo will drop the price till September 2014. Here lies the biggest problem with the WiiU - its price. The wii sold at $249 when it was first released back in 2006, the Wii was selling not just to the hardcore gamers but the casual market. At $249 the Wii was cheap enough for an impulse buy by consumers. 

Nintendo produce the WiiU targeting the same casual market without actually having an impulse & casual friendly market price. The Wiiu is simply selling to hardcore Nintendo fans. The Gamecube was never after the casual market; Nintendo was going up against Sony and Microsoft trying to capture the hardcore gamers and failed at it. It found its niche with kid friendly games. The Xbox 360 has actualy manage to steal away some of the casual market with their $199 XBox 360 + Kinect consoles from the Wii and now the WiiU.

But, going forward as Xbox 360 and PS3 sales drop the WiiU can recapture that same casual market with a $249 WiiU bundle. When going up only against the PS4 and Xbox one the WiiU can exercise the price advantage over PS4 & Xbox One and the unique features of the WiiU will differentiate from these consoles. The WiiU is in a complete different consoles war then GC was against PS2/Xbox. The transition period of November 2012-2013 as hurt the WiiU because from a price point the system was being compared to the PS3 and Xbox 360 giving it a disadvantage, this will reverse back as an advantage in the current generation.

Well you finally explained how you think atleast one thing is gonna be different the next time around! :P

So basically you're saying it'll start selling that much better once they drop the price another $50 to get to $250? Seeing how there were no long term improvements with the first price drop, I find it difficult to believe this one will do any better. Afterall, sales shouldn't only increase once you reach a certain threshold, in this case $250. They should increase whenever the price is reduced! Then again the first price cut was hardly much of one since the cheapest price remained the same, so the next one should indeed be more impactful, especially if combined with a MK8 bundle. Not sure what you're getting at with the price competition thing though. PS4/XO also compete with the PS360, probably even more so, and they're already much more expensive than Wii U, yet they're still selling better. Why would that change just because PS360 get discontinued, whenever that will be?

Btw the main reason I think the Wii U doesn't appeal to the casual crowd because of it's concept. The Wiimote was simple and intuitive, wheras the Gamepad is complex and intimidating. This is because they tried to also appeal to third partys by going back to to a more standard controller, but still their console is underpowered, and there's still the stigma between them and third partys *cough*EA*cough*, so they wont be getting their full support, hindering sales further as they'll have less games of less variety but more game droughts. Another factor is tablets n mobile gaming grabbing the attention of the casuals, and that they probably see no need to upgrade when their Wii Fit n Wii Sports games still work, assuming they even still play them. 

if save wiiu means not lure mainstreamers to the system then YES. Because MK8 does not fix the WiiU naming problem (is it a new console? or an addon? what is it?)

90% of the userbase of most consoles are not gamers so who cares if the Wiiu sells 30m lifetime? As long as its gamers i am happy.

I dont want my games to be streamlined because average joe needs handholding because he cant think for himself.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:

1. WiiU's competition currently is ps3; ps4; xbox 360 & Xbox one .... In 2013 the wiiu was overpriced compared to PS3 & Xbox 360 ... Consumer were unwilling to switch console or prefer the cheaper alternative. As we go forward and PS3 and Xbox 360 slowly get phased out Nintendo WiiU will position itself to Behring the cheaper alternative. 

2. The console market in 2009-2012 was around 30-40 million a year; therefore I'm expecting these numbers for 2015-2017 if Nintendo can manage to get 20-25% market share that would be like 7.5-10 million consoles a year.

3. Mario Kart is ideal game to boost console sale great family/casual game but still can grab the attention of hardcore gamers. Mario Kart and a Super smash brother are two great multiplayer and can create great word of mouth marketing for the Wiiu.

1. The Gamecube was also the cheaper alternative!

I agree with u on points 2 & 3 but theres more to It than simply price.

Not when we're strictly talking about price. He said the Wii U will soon be the cheapest option, hence I said that didn't help the gamecube, and so that's the end of that!

Yes and im saying when Gamecube was the cheapest it was only by $50 for the majority of its life, when It was $149 PS2 was $179-199 and when It was $99 PS2 was $129-179. If Wii U can reach $199-249 before PS4 gets a price cut than it will have a $150-200 price advantage which puts it in a much better position that Gamecube vs PS2.

U seem to think just because something didnt help Gamecube means it cant help Wii U and im explaining to u how its not as cut and dry as that since they are differences that ur not taking into account.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:

1. WiiU's competition currently is ps3; ps4; xbox 360 & Xbox one .... In 2013 the wiiu was overpriced compared to PS3 & Xbox 360 ... Consumer were unwilling to switch console or prefer the cheaper alternative. As we go forward and PS3 and Xbox 360 slowly get phased out Nintendo WiiU will position itself to Behring the cheaper alternative. 

2. The console market in 2009-2012 was around 30-40 million a year; therefore I'm expecting these numbers for 2015-2017 if Nintendo can manage to get 20-25% market share that would be like 7.5-10 million consoles a year.

3. Mario Kart is ideal game to boost console sale great family/casual game but still can grab the attention of hardcore gamers. Mario Kart and a Super smash brother are two great multiplayer and can create great word of mouth marketing for the Wiiu.

Not when we're strictly talking about price. He said the Wii U will soon be the cheapest option, hence I said that didn't help the gamecube, and so that's the end of that!

Yes and im saying when Gamecube was the cheapest it was only by $50 for the majority of its life, when It was $149 PS2 was $179-199 and when It was $99 PS2 was $129-179. If Wii U can reach $199-249 before PS4 gets a price cut than it will have a $150-200 price advantage which puts it in a much better position that Gamecube vs PS2.

U seem to think just because something didnt help Gamecube means it cant help Wii U and im explaining to u how its not as cut and dry as that since they are differences that ur not taking into account.

Oh I don't seem to think that. I know it as anyone would if they just looked at how Wii U is already a good $100 cheaper than PS4 plus it comes with a free game, then looked at the sales.

Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:

Oh I don't seem to think that. I know it as anyone would if they just looked at how Wii U is already a good $100 cheaper than PS4 plus it comes with a free game, then looked at the sales.

Wii U-$299 vs PS4-$399 is the equivelent of GC-$149 vs PS2-$199. Back in 2002/2003 a DVD player and better 3rd party support were worth an additional $50, here in 2014 a Blu-Ray player, 3rd party support, better online and more multimedia/social features is worth an extra $100.

If (this is a big if) Wii U can reach $199 before PS4 gets a price reduction than it is in a better position in terms of price than GC ever was against PS2. Im not saying its gauranteed to help Wii U more than It did for GC, im just saying that a $200 price advantage is not the same as a $50-100 price advantage so its not fair to simply shrug it off by saying it didnt help GC so it cant help Wii U.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Save them from complete annihilation yes, but still the damage has already been done, they will be riding 3rd this generation, games like Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros will help but they need more games not necessarily those 3rd party games like FFXV, MGS, GTA and CoD/Battlefield, as we have seen 3rd party games get ignored almost all together on wii u, what they need are more exclusives like Bayonetta and X.

Heres the draw guys, directly compared to Gamecube, Wii U is about 3 million behind in the same timespan. Thats not so bad considering by gamecubes first full year and a half on the market it already had Smash Bros, a new Zelda, Metroid, a new mario kart on the way and a bunch of third party titles. I think we should consider mk8 and smash before we make all these repetitive Wii U is DOOOOOOOMED threads