By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does anyone still think Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros. 4/Price Cuts/etc. will save Wii U? <(o_O<)

Wii U doomed to Gamecube-like sales?

Yep, sadly... 340 49.85%

No! Believe it! 340 49.85%

Total:680
Miyamotoo said:
Dunban67 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Depends what you mean by ''save''!?

Wii U want die like a Dreamcast, Wii U will be on the market until his successor arives, end of 2016, or probably 2017.
I am sure that Wii U will pass 30m.

What do you think Nintendo will do different for the Wi U going forward in order t get to that 30 million number (or close to it)

I bought a Wii U day 1 so I hope you are right and i am wrong but they just don t seem to care about the Wii U very much since day 1

I edit my post.

I saw your edit and agree if they make a sincere effort to do those things they can still make big improvments on console sales - if everything ent well maybe break 20 million-  may be too late to break 30 million w out some real luck to go w it

Around the Network
Lyrikalstylez said:
oniyide said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
I'm sorry but hearing the next ssb not having a story and cut scenes is lame on nintendo's part!
I'm expecting a meta score of 8.5 ..

im all for it, Subspace emmisary was a collasal waste of time and resources, time that could have been spent ensuring the online didnt suck. I love that there will be no useless story.

But from the looks of current nintendo's online situation, there won't be much of a difference in quality (could be wrong)

so why gimp out the features? People are complaining about Titanfall being online only but so is smash bros...

I hope this shit isn't the future of games, I love single player

p.s. 8.5 tops is what I predict this gets on meta!

since when has story been important in a FIGHTING game? especially one like Smash where the multiplayer portion is the bread and butter of the experience. You were playing Smash games for SP? Ok. to each his own, but i would be willing to bet you are in the minority. 

Now if we can have something akin to say, that mode in Melee, that would be all good. But the series doesnt need some overblown crap like Subspace, thats not what people play Smash for. If they cant do a good online this time around even with the help of Namco, i simply wont buy the game and it will just show how incompetent they are in that arena. Titanfall and Smash are not in the same category. not a good example

Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
yvanjean said:
8th Generation of Consoles started with the launch of PS4 and Xbox One..... Wii U as sold almost 6 million consoles to date. By the end of the year should reach 10 million consoles passing both the Saturn and Dreamcast..... all the doomed talk should end but at the same time Wii U will be a third this generation.

Mario Kart 8 if any games is a system seller. Combine Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros U during the holiday season and you will have much better numbers then 2013 holidays.

The WiiU sold less then 100k consoles in both May and June 2013, Mario Kart 8 will make for a very good May and June 2014.

This thread is talking about it beating the Gamecube, which while not as bad as Dreamcast or Saturn, was also deemed a doomed/failed/etc. console.

And again, why would Smash n Kart alter the Wii U's trajectory when they've never done so before? They were on N64, yet it still sold less than SNES. They were on GC, yet it too sold less than the previously worst selling Nintendo console. You must explain this!

Mario Kart Wii had a 1:3 attach rate..... Mario kart is a game with universal appeal, unlike the mario games that have seen to many interation in the recent years. There hasn't been a console Mario Kart since 2008. 

$249.99 is the casual friendly price and I wouldn't be surprise to see Nintendo annouce a WiiU Mario Kart bundle for $249.99 at E3 2014. The white skylander swap force WiiU as been selling for $229.99 here in Canada for the month of January and February. IT's only a matter of time till we see a new WiiU Price drop.  

Mario Kart 8 combine with a price cut will target the casual market Nintendo as suceed to sell record numbers of Wii's. I don't think you will ever see Wii numbers since the Wii U doesn't have the same mass appeal but they will surpass Gamecube numbers.

Mario Kart 8 launch windows will have no major competion on the software front from PS4 and Xbox one.

WiiU sold 564K consoles during April-Aug 2013. With the recent release of DKC:TF and Mario Kart 8 in May 2014 .... Nintendo will have no problem surpassing the 2013 numbers for the same period.

Mario Kart generally has a 20%-30% attach rate, so what is it your getting at here? That's only relevant if we're talking about much Mario Kart 8 will sell. I personally believe it'll have close to a 40%-50% attach rate and sell around 8 million lifetime, but that's a discussion for a different thread!

I don't know this for a fact as I can't remember, but surely Nintendo also bundled Double Dash with the Gamecube, and yet, still sold worse than the N64, and just plain badly overall. It also dropped to a super low $99 at one point, yet still nothing happened. I don't know how much time there was between 64 and DD, but seeing as there's only one MK per gen, it was probably a similar number of years. So basically, everything you're saying has been the case before!

And of course it's gonna out do it's 2013, but that's not the issue here. With both Kart n Smash, 2014 is undoubtedly going to be the Wii U's peak year. That's actually a bad thing though, cause when Kart n Smash don't change anything, then you know it'll never change because the Wii U can only have worse years from there.

Mario Kart: Double Dash was the worst performing Mario Kart on a console. For good reason the game was a simple re-ashes of the Mario Kart 64 with a dumb character switching mechanic. I never bothered picking up that game when I used to own a GC. 

You can't really compare the WiiU to the Gamecube.

The gamecube was a profitable console that was plague with problem it would never overcome:

The loss of second party development - Rare
The lack of third party support which was actually worst then currently on WiiU.
The design of the Gamecube made it look like a toy that was only for little kids and was not appealing to the casual market.
The partnership that Nintendo WiiU as with Sega, Monolith soft, Platinum & Retro Studios are better than anything in the gamecube era.
The rise of eshops games and the virtual consoles will increase Nintendo's revenues as the console drop in price and the install base increase.
The gamepad which is criticize on the WiiU actually help differentiate the system from the competition unlike the gamecube never manage to get out of the shadow of the PS2 and would eventually be out performed by the Xbox.

If you think that the WiiU will peak in 2014 than your saying that this year’s sales would be around 6-8 million (2013 sales - 5.5 millions) and we can assume a life cycle of 5-6 with a decline of 1 million a year.   That would result in lifetime sales of 25-32 million consoles. This would be around Xbox or Nintendo 64 levels.

I personally think that WiiU will peak in 2015 and lifetime sales will be from 40-60 millions.

yvanjean said:

If you think that the WiiU will peak in 2014 than your saying that this year’s sales would be around 6-8 million (2013 sales - 5.5 millions) and we can assume a life cycle of 5-6 with a decline of 1 mllion a year.   

5.5 million is 2012+2013. If this is Wii U peak year that just means it will sell over 3.25 million. Why can we assume it will drop 1 million a year, is there some sort of historical data that supports this?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Miyamotoo said:
Dunban67 said:
Miyamotoo said:

I remember saying how that price cut wasn't gonna do anything cause $299 is still the cheapest price back when it was announced, but a price cut is still a price cut!

Yes a price cut is a price cut and this is not one. In order for it to be a price cut the price has to become lower and that did not happen.

Whatever you say lolz!

Around the Network
yvanjean said:
Too much stuff

Okay well your opinions on the game don't change that it is infact a Mario Kart game!

GC and Wii U are both Nintendo consoles that struggled/are struggling to outsell their predecessor, hence they are comparable. Yes there are some differences in their situations, but things don't have to be exactly the same to be compared!

And no I'm thinking it'll do around 5 million this year, and end up with around 19 million lifetime. That 5.5 million figure is from launch to end of 2013, it didn't actually sell that much in one year.

Why do ya think 2015 will be it's peak year? And 40-60 million!? How is that gonna happen!? o_O

Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Miyamotoo said:
Dunban67 said:
Miyamotoo said:

I remember saying how that price cut wasn't gonna do anything cause $299 is still the cheapest price back when it was announced, but a price cut is still a price cut!

Yes a price cut is a price cut and this is not one. In order for it to be a price cut the price has to become lower and that did not happen.

Whatever you say lolz!

Do u at least see where im coming from with this? If $299 is seen as too much for a Wii U, will adding a game and 24gb of storage really pursuade anyone?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Wii U is Dreamcast doomed. Luckily compared to Sega, Nintendo is not going to run out of capital.

My 8th gen collection

zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Miyamotoo said:
Dunban67 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Whatever you say lolz!

Do u at least see where im coming from with this? If $299 is seen as too much for a Wii U, will adding a game and 24gb of storage really pursuade anyone?

I know what ya mean, but it is still a price cut technically, officially, and literally, for reals! Certainly better than doing nothing, and at the very least it set's up the next price cut to be more impactful.

ICStats said:
Wii U is Dreamcast doomed. Luckily compared to Sega, Nintendo is not going to run out of capital.

Oh come on now! Surely it'll end up closer to GC than DC!