By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Sony responsible for the PS4's great sales, or are Nintendo/Microsoft?

After how badly Ninty and MS fucked up, Sony pretty much had to show up to win, haha.

Around the Network

well xbox & nintendo have given playstation a place in the usa back,which is nice of them

wii/360 both over 40m PS3 25m..........WiiU/ONE/PS4 .>2m

pricepoint is certainly important,microsoft & nintendo will still sell well enough in the USA as price falls imo,many of us say its mainly the battle of the loyalists i think the tablets & phones are just so good these days its effecting current strategies but i don't see why our gaming will die just be like it ever was,PC & consoles have their uses & devs/publishers need to make games they can sell at a profit and not be dissapoint when it sells 4m

also sony is going under soon so ms & ninty are just waiting for a bit this gen

Above & Beyond

I'd say both reasons. I'd hate to see a video game crash happen so it's good that PS4 is doing well.

All three of them are. Sony did some good things, while ms and ninty stayed in their boardrooms.

Both. I honestly feel that Sony's competitors are really just not showing up to the game in any serious capacity this gen. 500$ is MS committing PS3 like arrogance. The number of Wii U games released from Nintendo isn't pretty.

I will give Sony credit for 3 things though:

1. They are doing well by not funding so many B & A sized projects just to have them fail as they have in the past. As costs for B titles rise in the long run that will pay off when they capture and polish some indie studios worth a damn.

2. Making it easier to program for was a nice gesture. I am of the belief that most inflated costs of development has to do with too much management and mismanagement so I doubt that much money will be saved.

3. They did manage to communicate very well that they aren't the anti consumer company this time around but those are about the only things I can give them credit for.

Around the Network

look at how well the ps3 sold with its huge price and huge game drought at the begining. Sony corrected a couple things now the ps4 is selling what the ps3 would have if Sony didnt have those mishaps. Obviously the credit should go to Sony.

I guess a combination of both. Just because Microsoft and Nintendo screwed up doesn't make Sony an automatic winner. They could have screwed up too and then the console industry would be truly fucked.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Here's the difference between this gen and last gen in this regard. Sony was arrogant and though they'd win, they launched a year later at a higher price tag with only moderately better performance. Sony assumed that they'd mop up again because they killed with the last two gens. But let's be honest, the 360 wasn't a very good console, especially at launch. It fricking ATE DISCS, and everyone that I knew who owned a 360 also had a broken 360. All of this leads me to the conclusion that sony's arrogance is the only reason the 360 won out the gate.
A lot of similarities can be drawn between MS's attitude about the xbox one to sony's arrogance about the ps3. There's one major difference... microsoft's arrogance is completely unwarranted. Who knows, the 360 gen might have just been a fluke. Why would you gloat about a more power hungry, bigger, more expensive, and weaker console than its competitor? The ps4 is winning both because it's good AND the competition isn't. Sony came out with cheaper hardware and is more powerful. The 360 won out the gate because of circumstance, but the ps4 is winning out the gate because it's clearly better, and it's competition is being stupid.

Both.

Sony.
Sony is also responsible for xb1's success.
Before the way they mocked it and forced MS to 180, their original vision for XB1 was destined for failure.