Forums - Gaming Discussion - Single Player vs Multi Player in Games

Which one you like?

Single player experience Only 146 53.09%

Multi player experience only 6 2.18%

Single player experience ... 85 30.91%

Total:237
Cthulhu said:
kowenicki said:

So you want us to generalise? (Not surprising given your incredibly silly sig with its massive generalisation).

I pick the third option, I don't understand why anyone would pic any other option to be honest.

I'll help you. I never play multiplayer. I like SP mode and then move on to the next game (I get so many games from PS+ free games and i just cant keep up). Multiplayer is a waste of time and effort

I'm mostly like you, I'm a predominantly single player guy. But, I do like the option of playing multiplayer, if it's well done and my style. I've played a lot of multiplayer, didn't play any of them for long, except 1... Gears of war 2 multiplayer had me and my bro and a cousin hooked for about 2 years... It was a very good time. I agree with both views, but it all comes down to personall preference of course!

Around the Network

I prefer single player over multi player, because I always get trolled by somebody  when I play a game with them.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Zkuq said:
Danman27 said:

So now we're assuming all multiplayer is just tacked on? And just because someone doesn't like MP as much as single player doesn't mean he or she has the right to say "Good" whenever they hear that a game doesn't have multiplayer. I rarely hear multiplayer people say single player is a waste of time. Why is it ok for single player people to say it? I love multiplayer and single player. I don't see why people (especially single player elitists) can't just accept that both are great. 

No, we're not assuming so. You said you don't see why people don't play both SP and MP and I provided some reasons why people might not want to play MP or why people might strongly prefer SP. And yes, people do have the right to say 'good' whenever they hear a game has no MP. Whether it's actually good or not is debatable but they definitely have the right to say so. And I don't know where you've been but I've definitely heard enough dissing of SP here. Call of Duty would probably be a good example of that: "I don't see why anyone would play CoD for SP." And the fact is, 'great' is a very subjective word in this case so you can't just say that both SP and MP are great and expect people to think the same way as you do - they have the right to disagree. Of course similarly everyone has the right to not like SP and say it aloud.

You're support was people don't want to play tacked on MP. That suggests that you think all MP is tacked on. When I say people don't have the right, I'm pointing out a double standard. Whenever I see a dev announce that a game doesn't have an MP mode, many comments say "good." Or when a game does have it, people get pissed off. People, for some reason, are under the impression that every new multiplayer is just tacked on. I'm not saying tacked on multiplayer isn't stupid, I'm saying that the assumption that every new multiplayer is tacked on is even dumber. If a game said they were taking away the single player component, I don't think every comment would be like "it was just tacked on anyway" except in the case of battlefield and maybe COD. 

Danman27 said:
Zkuq said:

No, we're not assuming so. You said you don't see why people don't play both SP and MP and I provided some reasons why people might not want to play MP or why people might strongly prefer SP. And yes, people do have the right to say 'good' whenever they hear a game has no MP. Whether it's actually good or not is debatable but they definitely have the right to say so. And I don't know where you've been but I've definitely heard enough dissing of SP here. Call of Duty would probably be a good example of that: "I don't see why anyone would play CoD for SP." And the fact is, 'great' is a very subjective word in this case so you can't just say that both SP and MP are great and expect people to think the same way as you do - they have the right to disagree. Of course similarly everyone has the right to not like SP and say it aloud.

You're support was people don't want to play tacked on MP. That suggests that you think all MP is tacked on. When I say people don't have the right, I'm pointing out a double standard. Whenever I see a dev announce that a game doesn't have an MP mode, many comments say "good." Or when a game does have it, people get pissed off. People, for some reason, are under the impression that every new multiplayer is just tacked on. I'm not saying tacked on multiplayer isn't stupid, I'm saying that the assumption that every new multiplayer is tacked on is even dumber. If a game said they were taking away the single player component, I don't think every comment would be like "it was just tacked on anyway" except in the case of battlefield and maybe COD.

No, my main point wasn't that people don't want to play tacked-on MP. It was a big thing because most MP experiences these days offer nothing special so it obviously kills a lot of MP possibilities for people. In a way, there's relatively few proper MP modes these days. But I also provided other reasons! For example, people might simply not like the competitive aspect of MP, and that aspect is often present even in co-op MP.

People say 'good' when it's announced that a game doesn't have MP because it means the devs can fully focus their resources on making better SP when they think the MP mode would have been tacked on anyway. For the same reason people might want to say the same thing about SP, which did indeed happen quite a bit with the Battlefield games. The thing is, though, that SP is usually a safer and easier choice when developing a game. It's easier to create the rules for the game when you don't constantly have to worry about balance (and thus you can express your creativity more freely), and it's safer in the sense that multiplayer games have a tendency to die after a while so unless you can create a huge hit, the game's not going to give you a lot of money for long. I suspect that's a big reason why SP mode is still the main mode for many games even though online features have gained popularity in the recent years.

I prefer single-player but play multiplayer if i think it fits the game well and it's just a tack-on. Tomb Raider really didn't need it. I really enjoy co-op too.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

Single-player, always.

I don't care for multiplayer, it just isn't fun to me usually. It's less immersive and gameplay is never as streamlined. Online multiplayer is completely wasted on me as I never touch it. There's very few games I 'multi-play' and if I actually do play a game multiplayer it's always local (and on PC).

Zkuq said:
Danman27 said:
Zkuq said:

No, my main point wasn't that people don't want to play tacked-on MP. It was a big thing because most MP experiences these days offer nothing special so it obviously kills a lot of MP possibilities for people. In a way, there's relatively few proper MP modes these days. But I also provided other reasons! For example, people might simply not like the competitive aspect of MP, and that aspect is often present even in co-op MP.

People say 'good' when it's announced that a game doesn't have MP because it means the devs can fully focus their resources on making better SP when they think the MP mode would have been tacked on anyway. For the same reason people might want to say the same thing about SP, which did indeed happen quite a bit with the Battlefield games. The thing is, though, that SP is usually a safer and easier choice when developing a game. It's easier to create the rules for the game when you don't constantly have to worry about balance (and thus you can express your creativity more freely), and it's safer in the sense that multiplayer games have a tendency to die after a while so unless you can create a huge hit, the game's not going to give you a lot of money for long. I suspect that's a big reason why SP mode is still the main mode for many games even though online features have gained popularity in the recent years.

TLOU, Uncharted,  MGS, and assassin's creed had modes and theirs single players weren't at all compromised. I think there's a problem where people immediately assume a game will be worse if it has multiplayer. It's just annoying. If you like single player only, dont be a dick about people that like multiplayer only. Can we just both enjoy it? 

It all depends on the type of game. If it's an FPS it's obviously all about the MP first of all but most everything else is for single player.

the2real4mafol said:
I prefer single-player but play multiplayer if i think it fits the game well and it's just a tack-on. Tomb Raider really didn't need it. I really enjoy co-op too.

I've lost faith in online co-op as well. Last I played was FC3 co-op. If I can't play couch co-op, I rather play with dumb but patient AI companions than people that either get everyone killed, quit out at the first hickup, or curse constantly. What a shitty experience that was.

SvennoJ said:
the2real4mafol said:

I've lost faith in online co-op as well. Last I played was FC3 co-op. If I can't play couch co-op, I rather play with dumb but patient AI companions than people that either get everyone killed, quit out at the first hickup, or curse constantly. What a shitty experience that was.

Yeah Far Cry 3 wasn't the best co-op experience but i had to do it for the Platinum trophy (no multiplayer trophies luckily). I had lots of disconnections in that, very frustrating.

Other games did it well though. Call of Duty for Zombies/ Extinction is good and so is Red Dead Redemption. Although i'm not sure if many people play that masterpiece anymore. 

I mainly do singleplayer these days anyway. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018