By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Single Player vs Multi Player in Games

Which one you like?

Single player experience Only 146 53.09%

Multi player experience only 6 2.18%

Single player experience ... 85 30.91%

Total:237

Hello everyone,

I've noticed a new trend from the gamers recently which is about the Multi player mode in games. When a new game is announced then many gamers are expecting multi player mode even though the game doesn't need due to its nature. So, old days of single player experiences are now turning into an optional mode like multi player was in old days and disappearing slowly because of social aspects which is changing gamers to give up single player over multi player. A game needs to have multi player only if the developers concept requires, but now gamers are forcing them to include multi player. So, developers trying to remove the single mode (which is happening with less content recently in many games and also Single player gamers are failing to sell well) and focusing more on muti player only.

Also everyone forgets that multi player games cannot be played forever like Single player because once the game servers are closed which will be done in average of 5-10 years(it will even less in future). So, we are not buying mutli player games at all and we are just renting them for 5-10 years unlike the old classics of single player which we can play forever. This is another one we need to worry about for future of gaming, because if this continues like this then most of the gamers gets used to multi player and we rarely get single player games to play them offline/forever in future without internet.

What do you think?

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Around the Network

Publishers should separate the games and release offline and online versions. More money for them, less pesky online features in my single player experience. Win-Win

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It´s really dissapointing what developers are doing with multiplayer games.
Local multiplayer is dying. It´s just a shame. Online multiplay will never be as fun as local.

single player.cus its no fun loosing to someone else in mp >:(

kowenicki said:

So you want us to generalise? (Not surprising given your incredibly silly sig with its massive generalisation).

I pick the third option, I don't understand why anyone would pic any other option to be honest.

I'll help you. I never play multiplayer. I like SP mode and then move on to the next game (I get so many games from PS+ free games and i just cant keep up). Multiplayer is a waste of time and effort

Around the Network

There are several things you mention here so I'm kind of confused what to answer.

First, tacked on MP. Consumers don't know what they want, so if they want MP on a game that shouldn't have it (see Mass Effect 3) developers shouldn't put it on there, it is not only a waste of time and money but it means they spent time developing some crappy MP which can take away from the single player experience. Infact with ME3 they made it worse by having it affect the story, "Didn't pay for Xbox Gold? then screw you, you aren't allowed to get the full experience of the single player game you paid for." is basically what they said here.

Second, single player that require a connection is a joke. Sorry it is. Destiny has lost it's sale from me. No net connection means you can't play. And people wonder why we all moaned at MS for their DRM crap, online only connection for a single player game IS DRM.

Third, Multiplayer games that are advertised as such and are only MP games, shouldn't be full price especially when you have to pay more to play it on consoles. It's no different to a MMO subscription which is becoming increasingly obsolete. If their servers vanish, that game is useless so any more ever spent on it is pointless and a waste.

these are my current thoughts, I have many on the way industry is screwing us.

Hmm, pie.

Coop>>>>>>>>>>>Singleplayer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Repetitive Competitive Multiplayer.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

When I buy a game I try to make sure it has a good single player experience so like you said in 5-10 years I will still be able to play and get value out of my game.

I really think its pointless and devalues a game when a developer tacks on a multiplayer mode to a game that was really only ever conceived of being a single player experience.

Local multiplayer is dying the core gaming audience now lives further apart than before and also I just in people's minds to easier to just sit home play with your friends over the internet. Nintendo tries to fight this but, it just seems that most hardcore games want to game online and not in a living room with people.

It's easy to understand. And example is God of War 3. I have it. But two of my friends simply borrowed a copy and finished the game (one of them borrowed mine). Multiplayer is a way to avoid people that simply borrow the game or sell it used, so expect most games to get an enforced multiplayer. 

Rogerioandrade said:
Local multiplayer is dying. It´s just a shame. Online multiplay will never be as fun as local.

This. Local multiplayer is so much fun. I'm not against online (you couldn't play with 30+ people in a local session), but local interation is a precious thing. At least, fighting and sports games still keep a strong local multiplayer mode. I miss more shooters with split-screen online play. And the lack os split-screen coop is a huge issue.

torok said:

It's easy to understand. And example is God of War 3. I have it. But two of my friends simply borrowed a copy and finished the game (one of them borrowed mine). Multiplayer is a way to avoid people that simply borrow the game or sell it used, so expect most games to get an enforced multiplayer. 

Rogerioandrade said:

This. Local multiplayer is so much fun. I'm not against online (you couldn't play with 30+ people in a local session), but local interation is a precious thing. At least, fighting and sports games still keep a strong local multiplayer mode. I miss more shooters with split-screen online play. And the lack os split-screen coop is a huge issue.

I think this is spot-on. I don't want to say that all tacked-on multiplayer modes are a cynical attempt by developers/publishers to increase the attach rate of their software, but I imagine many of them are just that.

And I totally agree about local multiplayer. Online multiplayer is great in that it allows us to communicate with people from all over the world and play against the best of the best. But playing with friends and family locally has a different kind of energy and satsifaction. One of the reason's I'm grateful for Nintendo is because it continues to make local multiplayer a pillar of its design philosophy.