By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Did People Even Think of the Idea That Nintendo Should Go Mobile?

Math.
Nintendo needs money
Its best assets are their Software.
Software sells best on mobile.
The End.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

The phone game market being this massive industry is a little bit of an illusion.

-The overwhelming majority of the income that companies like Rovio receive is from advertising. They reported that theirs was about 73 percent. I can't ever EVER see Nintendo covering their games in Ad's.

- It's an industry that is going to crash very hard, very fast. When you look through the reviews on most games 90 percent of them generally say that the game sucks and is laggy. One of the main reasons I really believe that Angry Birds and Candy Crush have taken off is because they are some of the only games that actually work well. It's also an industry that is completely built off of a casual market. We all have seen with the Wii U how fast the casual market can ditch.

- Nintendo making phone games would kill their own handheld market. Whether the 3DS is selling as well as the DS is irrelevent. The fact of the matter is that it is the best selling console in the industry and Nintendo has 8 games that have sold atleast 3 million each on the console. The most recent hit is Pokemon X/Y which is at 10.3 million ($400+ million). That's not struggling. It may not be DS numbers, but the DS was less then 3 million consoles away from being the best selling console in the history of gaming, that's a pretty tough comparison.

Here's my honest prediction. Nintendo will ride out the 3DS in the next 4 years or so and end up with 80+ million in console sales, and it will be a solid success. 80 million consoles sold is a success no matter how you try to spin it. Nintendo's next handheld will be something revolutionary. The Gameboy was revolutionary and then it had a successor in the Game Boy Advance. The DS was revolutionary and it had a successor in the 3DS. The pattern will continue and Nintendo will drop a bomb that will make a regular tablet seem lame. My guess would be Nintendo's own take on a tablet that is very affordable and incorporates virtual reality into it.

vivster said:
Math.
Nintendo needs money
The End.

Then why is Sony the only one constantly finding new electronics to port their games too, for their own finances?

Even Microsoft looses lots of money in video gaming, if if it were to do PS4 sells.

It seems only Nintendo is in the Black in the video game market.

The PS4 still gets outsold by the 3DS almost every week, which can't be good news in general for any systems sells.

Kaizar said:
Lawlight said:
EricFabian said:
Lawlight said:
Because making another console or handheld makes no sense.

can't wait to play all Sony games on my Lumia then

Did you miss the PS4 sales thread?

And yet, Sony still announced that they are going to go mobile.

And most recently Sony said they will bring there games to TVs as well. (even though the PS4 has been doing gangbusters)

The only conclusion I can come from Sony's statements during these times, is that no amount of good sales can make them a good enough profit.

I guess Sony doesn't know how to manage their business in the video game industry. Because they are clearly doing something wrong when they keep going the extra distants on how they will port their games after all of these good sales of the PS4 (just under 3DS sales).

Sony's software sells like crap.  There is really just no other way to spin it.  Consoles bring in zero profit and my guess is that every PS4 sold is actually being sold at a loss after marketing, shipment, and retailer costs.   Right now Sony and Microsoft are basically creating a platform for 3rd Parties to make a bunch of money on for free.     People for a while now keep screaming that Nintendo should cater to 3rd Parties, which is the exact reason why Microsoft is looking to get out of the game, and Sony is reeling, even with high PS4 sales.    Sony should have never given up Crash Bandicoot and Spyro years ago.  It was dumb then and it still is.  Crash Bandicoot was Sony's Mario and they just let it go.   Now they are trying to make new charecters and franchises which are always a big risk.  Little Big Planet Karting was a huge bomb.  Same as Playstation All-Stars.    Nintendo on the other hand can go make Smash Bros and even if the Wii U sells like crap, we all know it will do huge numbers.

Kaizar said:
vivster said:
Math.
Nintendo needs money
The End.

Then why is Sony the only one constantly finding new electronics to port their games too, for their own finances?

Even Microsoft looses lots of money in video gaming, if if it were to do PS4 sells.

The PS4 still gets outsold by the 3DS almost every week, which can't be good news in general for any systems sells.

But Nintendo isn't in the black now, and past performance doesn't matter.  They're in the red for two years, and in those two years it was still supported a fair bit by sales of DS and Wii games but those have almost run out.

It'll be interesting to see if enough 3DS & Wii U games sell this year to bring them in the black.  I don't expect it.

3DS of course is still doing pretty well, but as I mentioned it 50% of DS success, also handheld is a less lucrative business than console due to lower attach rate and lower game prices.  Overall I consider 1 console == 2 handhelds in terms of net revenue.

Wii + DS dream team, 100 million console units + 150 million handheld units = ~175 net revenue units.
Wii U + 3DS shit team, 6 million console units + 43 million handheld units = ~27.5 net revenue units.

It's not good dude, it's not good.  If we were looking at this and could say it's still early days for Wii U & 3DS it would be good, but the trajectories for both of them aren't good.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
Kaizar said:
vivster said:
Math.
Nintendo needs money
The End.

I can't decide if you're serious or not. Still trying to find a single kernel of a fact in your post.

Sony just sold off PC and TV lowering the number of devices.

Microsoft loses not nearly enough on the Xbox that it would affect them financially.

Nintendo is in trouble with no real hope that it will get significantly better in the future. Sony and MS on the other hand will get better as install base grows(and easily outgrows Nintendo's)

Except for december the PS4 has been outselling the 3DS every week in every region it is released and with severe supply constraint. Add to that the much higher price and you got yourself a handheld selling worse than a home console.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Kaizar said:
vivster said:
Math.
Nintendo needs money
The End.

I can't decide if you're serious or not. Still trying to find a single kernel of a fact in your post.

Microsoft loses not nearly enough on the Xbox that it would affect them financially.

Nintendo is in trouble with no real hope that it will get significantly better in the future. Sony and MS on the other hand will get better as install base grows(and easily outgrows Nintendo's)

Except for december the PS4 has been outselling the 3DS every week in every region it is released and with severe supply constraint. Add to that the much higher price and you got yourself a handheld selling worse than a home console.

You really don't understand how this business stuff works my friend.

-PS4 sold for $399.  Parts alone are about $375. Then add manufacturing costs. shipping costs. retailers cut.  It's being sold at a loss. 

-3DS XL is $199.  Nintendo has reported that they make about 20 bucks on each one sold.

You could sell Ferraris worth $100,000 for $90,000 and I could sell lemonade for 25 cents a cup, who is really making more money? Me. 

Nintendo has plenty of hope things will get better, all the money is in software sales and Nintendo has heavy duty software coming this year.   What software does Sony have coming that will make them any money at all.  Infamous Second Son?   The first 2 sold an average of 2 million each and that was with one of them being a pack in game.   Driveclub?  Hell NO.  GT6 has barely cracked 2 million.  Forza 5 just hit 1 million this week.  Driveclub is going to be a mega fail just because it is a racing game.   Sony has nothing else announced for PS4 this year (yet).  

Kaizar said:

And yet, Sony still announced that they are going to go mobile.

And most recently Sony said they will bring there games to TVs as well. (even though the PS4 has been doing gangbusters)

The only conclusion I can come from Sony's statements during these times, is that no amount of good sales can make them a good enough profit.

I guess Sony doesn't know how to manage their business in the video game industry. Because they are clearly doing something wrong when they keep going the extra distants on how they will port their games after all of these good sales of the PS4 (just under 3DS sales).

When did Sony say that? Is Naughty Dog working on a mobile? Sony Santa Monica? Any of the first party studios?

superhippy420 said:
vivster said:

You really don't understand how this business stuff works my friend.

-PS4 sold for $399.  Parts alone are about $375. Then add manufacturing costs. shipping costs. retailers cut.  It's being sold at a loss.

-3DS XL is $199.  Nintendo has reported that they make about 20 bucks on each one sold.

You could sell Ferraris worth $100,000 for $90,000 and I could sell lemonade for 25 cents a cup, who is really making more money? Me.

Nintendo has plenty of hope things will get better, all the money is in software sales and Nintendo has heavy duty software coming this year.   What software does Sony have coming that will make them any money at all.  Infamous Second Son?   The first 2 sold an average of 2 million each and that was with one of them being a pack in game.   Driveclub?  Hell NO.  GT6 has barely cracked 2 million.  Forza 5 just hit 1 million this week.  Driveclub is going to be a mega fail just because it is a racing game.   Sony has nothing else announced for PS4 this year (yet).

You need to read what other people write. No one makes money on a freshly launched console, not even Nintendo. And even after some time when they don't lose money on it anymore the profit is miniscule compared to the software sales. Tell me who will sell more software when PS4 reaches the 50 million mark while Nintendo struggles to get to the 20.

You're thinking very short term, also not at all.

You left out the Order this year and Uncharted on the horizon. And apparently 3rd party games don't make money for console manufacturers. Well they don't for Nintendo consoles but they do for everyone else.

superhippy420 said:

Sony makes most money from 3rd party licensing.  Unusual idea for Nintendo I'm sure.

My 8th gen collection