By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Did People Even Think of the Idea That Nintendo Should Go Mobile?

Lawlight said:
Because making another console or handheld makes no sense.

Another console, you may be right about that ... but another handheld is a lock. Even if 3DS "only" sells 80 million, that's more than successful enough to proceed with another portable platform. 

I think virtually any game platform that sells over 40 million units has enough of place in the market to justify a successor. 

Around the Network
MonstaTruk said:
mii-gamer said:
NightDragon83 said:
I'll answer your question with another question... what's the difference between games like Nintendo Land or NSMB U and your average smartphone game?

The smartphone games cost $59 less.

The huge gap in quality?

Do you see that?  "The smartphone games cost $59 less."  Why do you think he says that?  MAYBE because Mario, as much of a gaming landmark as he is, is for one specific audience.  Mario 2D to Mario 3D, to a lot of us, is still Mario.  They've GOT that crowd...HELL, they've had that crowd and never lost them for over 2 decades.  Don't you think it's about time to add other weapons under your belt as well, Nintendo?

Kid Icarus: Uprising & Dillon's Rolling Western & Youkai Watch & Denpa Men & Sumo-Puzzle (Pushmo & etc.) & Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon  & The Wonderful 101 (2nd Party) & Bayonetta 2 and up (2nd Party) & Lego City Undercover (2nd Party) & Sakura Samurai & Ketzal's Corridors & Wii Sports & Wii Party & Rodea the Sky Soldier (3rd Party) & King of Pirates (3rd Party) & ZombiU (3rd Party) & good Resident Evil games (3rd Party) & Monster Hunter 3 and up (3rd Party) & etc.

Soundwave said:
Lawlight said:

I think virtually any game platform that sells over 40 million units has enough of place in the market to justify a successor. 

Microsoft and Nintendo don't agree with you, and that paid off.

NightDragon83 said:
Nintentacle said:
NightDragon83 said:
I'll answer your question with another question... what's the difference between games like Nintendo Land or NSMB U and your average smartphone game?

The smartphone games cost $59 less.

I will answer you question with another question. What's the difference between games like Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, Smash Bros., and Donkey Kong Country and your average smartphone game?

Simple... your average smartphone game sells way more copies because more people out there are aware of the average smartphone game because you don't need to own one specific piece of hardware that may or may not appeal to you outside of one specific piece of software.

And lets face facts... for all this grandoise talk about Nintendo's self-righteous pursuit of the "blue ocean" strategy, is there any bigger ocean out there right now than mobile devices?

Mobile is Red Ocean now isn't it?

Nintentacle said:
Soundwave said:
Lawlight said:

Microsoft and Nintendo don't agree with you, and that paid off.

Though in hindsight, Nintendo basically just repackaged the GameCube with a new controller (so in one sense, fairly low risk). If Wii had flopped it wouldn't have hurt Nintendo too badly. 

MS has mountains of cash and always saw the first XBox as getting their foot in the door at any cost. 360 is where actual market performance started to matter. 

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Its cause people want to play Nintendo games without buying a Nintendo platform so they would rather see their games on phones than on Nintendo only platform

But people can buy PlayStation games on Smartphones & Tablets & TVs to play on them in the next year or 2.

Doesn't anyone want to play PlayStation games?

But why will anyone want to buy a PS4 now, LOL.

Long story short, does such things as Bayonetta 2 & up being a Nintendo exclusive really matter?

Does anything people say on the web about wanting things to be different then what the big 3 has told us, matter?

It stems mainly from the fact that Nintendo makes cartoony/colorful/easy to pick up and play games -- which is basically what the mobile market is dominated by -- Candy Crush, Farmville, Angry Birds, etc.

So people see mobile games making a ton of money and figure Nintendo could make a ton of money there too. Which might possibly be true, the problem for Nintendo there is it would also undermine their handheld line and touch only controls don't accomodate all of their franchises.

That and the whole Nintendo pride thing of not supporting other platforms.

Soundwave said:
Lawlight said:

Another console, you may be right about that ... but another handheld is a lock. Even if 3DS "only" sells 80 million, that's more than successful enough to proceed with another portable platform. 

True but the handheld market is dropping too fast to hold out for another generation.

I don't know why everyone asks Nintendo to do this, and not anyone else. Like really, let's assume, for a second, that Nintendo could benefit from this. If that were the case, wouldn't Sony and Microsoft benefit even MORE from it? So why does no one ask THEM to go mobile? Where the idea came from is a good question, because it truly baffles me. It makes no sense, and it's hard to imagine what train of thought got people to decide that NINTENDO SPECIFICALLY should be the ones to go into smartphone gaming. Like, really? You think Nintendo, who don't make smart phones or have any expertise in the market, should do it, but not Microsoft and Sony, who BOTH make smartphones and would have a much better chance, and could stand to make a hell of a lot more money than Nintendo could? It makes no sense to ask Nintendo to do this, but it makes even LESS sense to ask ONLY Nintendo to do it.

Kaizar said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Its cause people want to play Nintendo games without buying a Nintendo platform so they would rather see their games on phones than on Nintendo only platform

But people can buy PlayStation games on Smartphones & Tablets & TVs to play on them in the next year or 2.

Doesn't anyone want to play PlayStation games?

But why will anyone want to buy a PS4 now, LOL.

Long story short, does such things as Bayonetta 2 & up being a Nintendo exclusive really matter?

Does anything people say on the web about wanting things to be different then what the big 3 has told us, matter?

Well, if your talking about Playstation Now, those are old playstation games that people don't really care about and if people want old Nintendo titles on mobile, then I don't mind that, but its when people say Nintendo should abandon the 3ds and make mobile games instead is when it really gets me and thats what I am referring too... Sony will not put ps4 games on playstation now or else it will cripple the hardware sales of the ps4 and if Sony is not gonna do that, there is no reason for Nintendo to cripple the wiiU sales furthur as well as the 3ds... And even if Sony is dumb enough to do that, Nintendo still shouldn't do it since they are a gaming only company

And no, games like Beyonatta 2 exclusive to Nintendo doesn't matter cause its not a big seller but games like Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario and MK and etc do matter cause thats what gets people to buy the platform...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850