By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Did People Even Think of the Idea That Nintendo Should Go Mobile?

ninetailschris said:
NightDragon83 said:
mii-gamer said:
NightDragon83 said:
I'll answer your question with another question... what's the difference between games like Nintendo Land or NSMB U and your average smartphone game?

The smartphone games cost $59 less.

The huge gap in quality?

Really?  I've played both... you could take all of the minigames found in Nintendo Land and put them on smartphones or tablets, and they'd work just as well if not better.

You don't need a $300 console to play an on-rails, tilt-controlled version of F-Zero or touch-heavy games like Yoshi's Fruit Cart and Ninja Castle.   And you won't need 4 extra controllers and  have to fight your friends over who gets to use the gamepad when playing the multiplayer games.

Nintendo could sell all those mini games separately for a couple bucks apiece and they'd literally rake in billions from all the mobile /tablet users out there.

And if you think a game like NSMB can't be done on mobile or tablet devices... they already put the greatest Sonic game ever on these devices.

Did you play any game you mention?

metriod blast as good on tablet?

did you play the sonic game because it sure as heck doesn't have great level design.

Yep, played both Nintendo Land and NSMBU along with Zombi U at my buddy's last year... he picked up a Wii U at launch, and it basically collected dust for most of 2013.

As I said, any of the dozen Nintendo Land minigames could be ported to mobile devices with a few minor tweaks and would be just as successful on their own.

And the Sonic game I was referring to was Sonic CD... hence the phrase "greatest Sonic game ever."

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
I'll answer your question with another question... what's the difference between games like Nintendo Land or NSMB U and your average smartphone game?

You have to be kidding me.

There isn´t a single original iOS game that is even comparable to both examples.

That is like saying the only difference between Gran Tourismo 6 and some Gameloft shovelware is the price.

unbelievable

EricFabian said:
Lawlight said:
Because making another console or handheld makes no sense.

can't wait to play all Sony games on my Lumia then

Did you miss the PS4 sales thread?

orniletter said:
NightDragon83 said:

You have to be kidding me.

There isn´t a single original iOS game that is even comparable to both examples.

That is like saying the only difference between Gran Tourismo 6 and some Gameloft shovelware is the price.

unbelievable

So now we're comparing games like Nintendo Land and NSMBU, a tech demo collection of minigames and an HD version of NSMB Wii, to AAA games that cost tens of millions of dollars and have a staff of hundreds who worked on them?  You're telling me that those games are justified being priced at $59.99 right alongside titles like GTAV and GT6?

There are plenty of iOS / Android / indie PC games that have as much value and mileage as any of the Nintendo Land games for a heckuvalot less money.  And these days you can usually find Nintendo Land right next to (or underneath) the Gameloft shovelware pile at most retailers, which says all you need to know about the game really, because when was the last time you saw a major 1st party release from Nintendo have its price slashed so quickly?

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Lawlight said:
EricFabian said:
Lawlight said:

Did you miss Vita sales thread?

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
EricFabian said:
Lawlight said:
EricFabian said:
Lawlight said:

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

EricFabian said:
Lawlight said:
EricFabian said:
Lawlight said:

And what about the Vita sales?

Lawlight said:
EricFabian said:
Lawlight said:

And yet, Sony still announced that they are going to go mobile.

And most recently Sony said they will bring there games to TVs as well. (even though the PS4 has been doing gangbusters)

The only conclusion I can come from Sony's statements during these times, is that no amount of good sales can make them a good enough profit.

I guess Sony doesn't know how to manage their business in the video game industry. Because they are clearly doing something wrong when they keep going the extra distants on how they will port their games after all of these good sales of the PS4 (just under 3DS sales).

Nintentacle said:

I don't understand why anyone thinks this is a good idea. I know Wii U is failing miserably and the 3DS has already peaked, but in 29 years, they only have 2 yearly losses. Plus, It's very hard to make a casual title a huge hit. They've proved they could do it with the "Wii" series, but the hugest hits on smartphones, like the Angry Birds games, Flappy Bird, Temple Run, etc., all appeal to casual audiences. It's easier to create hits on consoles because they can do almost any genre they want. You have Shooters, Fighters, Platformers, Action games, Adventure games, Racing games, Casual games, Open-World games, etc. being 10 million+ sellers. 

Shorter Version

It makes no sense.

I'm on the side of the argument for doing mobile games.

Reasons:

• Core business is in major contraction.  Wii U hasn't got traction and is set to do 20% of Wii sales.  3DS is set to do 50% of DS sales.  That is a major contraction, and the future is uncertain.
  • Companies like King have revenues near $2 billion from simple games like Candy Crush on Smartphone.
  • Nintendo, with it's strong IP and design sense can monetize with some new games designed for Smartphone.
  • Advertise Nintendo products inside their Smartphone games.  Unify with NNID.  Bring people in the door to core platforms.
That doesn't mean abandoning core business, but adding new business, leveraging their IP.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
Nintentacle said:

I don't understand why anyone thinks this is a good idea. I know Wii U is failing miserably and the 3DS has already peaked, but in 29 years, they only have 2 yearly losses. Plus, It's very hard to make a casual title a huge hit. They've proved they could do it with the "Wii" series, but the hugest hits on smartphones, like the Angry Birds games, Flappy Bird, Temple Run, etc., all appeal to casual audiences. It's easier to create hits on consoles because they can do almost any genre they want. You have Shooters, Fighters, Platformers, Action games, Adventure games, Racing games, Casual games, Open-World games, etc. being 10 million+ sellers. 

Shorter Version

It makes no sense.

I'm on the side of the argument for doing mobile games.

Reasons:

• Core business is in major contraction.  Wii U hasn't got traction and is set to do 20% of Wii sales.  3DS is set to do 50% of DS sales.  That is a major contraction, and the future is uncertain.
  • Companies like King have revenues near $2 billion from simple games like Candy Crush on Smartphone.
  • Nintendo, with it's strong IP and design sense can monetize with some new games designed for Smartphone.
  • Advertise Nintendo products inside their Smartphone games.  Unify with NNID.  Bring people in the door to core platforms.
That doesn't mean abandoning core business, but adding new business, leveraging their IP.

The 3DS is outselling the PS4 almost every week, and Sony has continue to make more announcements about what other electronics they will also port their PlayStation games to.

it's seems like both Sony & Nintendo don't care what anyone else thinks they should do. Sony will continue to find new thing to port their games to, and Nintendo won't move their games anywhere at all.

Thats just the way things are, no matter if anyone likes it or not.