By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Did People Even Think of the Idea That Nintendo Should Go Mobile?

Right now it would be a mistake. However, it is a fact that the market for dedicated gaming handhelds is shrinking and thus Nintendo should take steps to prepare for the time they will have to go to the mobile market.

Even if Nintendo is able to release another generation of handheld consoles, I believe is their best interest to transform into an entertainment company. Mario will be less known as smartphones and tablets take a larger piece of the market. Nintendo could use some of their cash and create theme parks, movies and TV shows to keep their IP popular. Just expand the Pokemon business model to other IPs. Nintendo is the only game company that can take the Disney's path and the should consider doing it.

Around the Network

I would like to see Nintendo release  older Pokemon games on mobiles phones. You can get a team of 7 random Pokemon right from the bat for $40, but you lose them after 5 minutes.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

NightDragon83 said:
mii-gamer said:
NightDragon83 said:
I'll answer your question with another question... what's the difference between games like Nintendo Land or NSMB U and your average smartphone game?

The smartphone games cost $59 less.

The huge gap in quality?

Really?  I've played both... you could take all of the minigames found in Nintendo Land and put them on smartphones or tablets, and they'd work just as well if not better.

You don't need a $300 console to play an on-rails, tilt-controlled version of F-Zero or touch-heavy games like Yoshi's Fruit Cart and Ninja Castle.   And you won't need 4 extra controllers and  have to fight your friends over who gets to use the gamepad when playing the multiplayer games.

Nintendo could sell all those mini games separately for a couple bucks apiece and they'd literally rake in billions from all the mobile /tablet users out there.

And if you think a game like NSMB can't be done on mobile or tablet devices... they already put the greatest Sonic game ever on these devices.

Those swipe controls, or imaginary joypad would be so much better on a Mario mobile game than those ultra tight controls we have to put up with on the console version. :p

The mobile software market is growing, and other software markets are not. Simple as that.

I'm not saying they're right.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.