By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Irrational Games are "winding down"; all but 15 staff laid off [edit: Gamasutra - Bioshock Infinite didn't sell enough]

Tagged games:

kumagawa said:

And yet the key people are staying while the rest go and remember the CoD studio's get a game out every two years while Irrational took 6 years for a single game and it's not exactly a GTA or Elder Scrolls in size to justify that development time.

This is the easiest way to clear out what is obviously a lot of dead wood.

So, you agree with me that it's shutting down because the game failed to achieve.

Around the Network

So much for Vita Bioshock.

wolfofthepack said:
is it me or this guy is full of shit?

It certainly isn't just you.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Holy carp, the conjecture runs deep in this thread.

While I feel sad for people that were let go, it's actually great news...Ken always had to give something different, so I'm quite happy to see him pursuing that instead of settling down for the safe approach.

Also, great news that Take-Two has their backs, nice to see them supporting non-mainstream experiments.

Around the Network

What a sad day in gaming :( Bioshock is the only FPS game series that I actually play due to its narrative (I hate FPS in general, Bioshock was the only exception.)
What will happen next to Bioshock? 2K are capable of making another one (Bioshock 2) but it won't feel the same without the original developer, and that showed in the 2nd one where it was "more of the same."

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

The way I see it, and I'm sure their is probably more to it than my simplistic way of view, is that alot of talented ppl lost their jobs so that Ken Levine can go make the kind of games HE wants to make, which are digital only narative-driven crap that he could of probably do with Irational if only he was willing to adjust his vision.

He is a douche in my book.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Soleron said:
I think he is lying by omission.

Sure, Ken wants to leave. Fine. But Ken does not own Irrational. Take-Two does. By their own admission, Irrational are some of the best devs in the world, and seemingly financially successful.

Why are Take-Two shutting down Irrational?

My hypothesis: Infinite flopped and they can't keep it open.

Infinite sold between 3 and 4 million copies. How can this be unprofitable? Did they get SquareEnix execs to make the budget-planning?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

My mom is my witness I saw that coming. Because making expensive conceptual single player first person shooters isn't profitable in long run.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Russia is cheating in Sochi 2014.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.