By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Status of 3DS in 2014. Nintendo dropping the ball again?

Nintendo is always too late with their games and AFTER they realize that a system struggles, they start to make games... All the 3DS games that were started in spring/summer 2011 were released in 2012/2013.

Focussing so much on 3DS had a very negative impact on Wii U games and now it seems that they changed the direction.

They probably started several Wii U games in early 2013 that won't release before late 2014 (2015/2016 is more likely). E3 will tell.

The already announced games like X, MK8, Smash Bros., Yarn Yoshi, Bayonetta 2 or Sonic Boom are in development since 2012 and earlier.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
I predicted this would happen. Now that resources have to be shared with the WiiU, expect less games for the 3DS. Sales also peaked in 2012 which, I'm sure is worrying Nintendo enough for them to be thinking of the next platform in Ernest right now.

Wats Ernest?

Earnest but, of course, you would try to deflect from the issue at hand because you know it's true.

Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
I predicted this would happen. Now that resources have to be shared with the WiiU, expect less games for the 3DS. Sales also peaked in 2012 which, I'm sure is worrying Nintendo enough for them to be thinking of the next platform in Ernest right now.

Wats Ernest?

Earnest but, of course, you would try to deflect from the issue at hand because you know it's true.

of course you wont admit wen your wrong <(-_-<)

Lawlight said:

Who is Ernest?

Early word on Kirby Tiple Deluxe seems to indicate it's the best Kirby game to date, so I'm definitely looking forward to that one. Mario Golf games in the past have been excellent, so that should be good too. Otherwise, yeah doesn't look like too much promising games on the horizon. But I'm sure we'll get at least a few big Q4 3DS titles announced at E3, and maybe some Q3 ones as well. I'm fully expecting a Metroid game for the 3DS to be announced at e3, and possibly realesed this year. It's unreasonable to expect a system to have as great of a year as 3DS did last year every year. 2015 will probably be strong again for 3ds.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:

Wats Ernest?

When have I been wrong?

Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:

Wats Ernest?

When have I been wrong?

OM LORD.... >_>

You have never been wrong once, you are always right, ever thing you say and do is correct........ Honestly? I cant remember once -_-

tbone51 said:

OM LORD.... >_>

You have never been wrong once, you are always right, ever thing you say and do is correct........ Honestly? I cant remember once -_-

Are you talking about the Pokemon prediction? Here we are talking about facts like the 3DS peaking in 2012 and you're bringing predictions in?

Turkish said:

What the hell are you talking about? 3DS hardware picking up?? Have you seen January 3DS sales? Abysmal, its down YoY terribly. Japan is the same situation. Imagine Europe as it's Nintendos weakest region.

Well you have to take in concideration that two new consoles as now entered the market. The 3DS as perform really well over the holiday season, hardly any reason to call the sales abysmal. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Global&start_year=2011&end_year=2014&console=3DS

But a the same time in order for sales to pick up there need to be major title releases and I don't see anything in the near future.

Kirby and Mario Golf are two title that have a more niche market and never set the sales charts on fire.

Yoshi Island is a major release but it's also another platformer from Nintendo. Nintendo as overtaxed the platformer genre and should really focus on create a few new IPs.

Nintendo as pretty much revealed it's hand on 3DS for Q1 & Q2 2014. It's just seem like they don't have the internal resource to support both the 3DS and WiiU and can't avoid having a drought of software. Nintendo as seem to have lost 3rd party support for both of its console the 3DS and WiiU. 

It's impossible for one company to support 2 platforms largely on their own like this. It's hard enough to do one. Sony/MS would fare even worse in the same position.

Nintendo needs to unify their development lines a long time ago, but they kinda had no choice but to go the discreet handheld + console route after the DS and Wii were both such big successes.