By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you still think WiiU can outsell Gamecube? (US: Second January, GC: 81k Vs WiiU: 49k)

Will WiiU Beat Gamecube?

Yes 190 47.98%

No 138 34.85%

Maybe / See results 66 16.67%

Total:394

I doubt it will outsell it, but I think it has a chance at matching it. The Wii U is still too expensive for what it is. It also still seems to do decently during the holiday season. So, I think once it gets down to $199, maybe $149 on BF, it will definitely be cheap enough for people to consider it as a secondary console. I know I will probably get it on BF if it ever drops that low, as it does have some exclusives that appeal to me.

Around the Network
Somini said:
I thought it will do 30 million, but now i'm not sure if it will even reach 20 million. I've never seen sales this bad, not even Vita is THIS bad.

What NPD data have you been checking out in the past few years?

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

As I predicted in some other thread, I believe that it will sell roughly 18M units lifetime. So to answer to your question, no, I don't think it will outsell GC unfortunetly. There are just too many things going against it atm.

benji232 said:
Somini said:
I thought it will do 30 million, but now i'm not sure if it will even reach 20 million. I've never seen sales this bad, not even Vita is THIS bad.

What Media Create data have you been checking out in the past few years? ;)

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I think the GC will outsell the Xbox1.

How do you like them apples Seece? :p

Around the Network

Unless they start to actually market the console to the mainstream things look bad...

MikeRox said:
benji232 said:
Somini said:

What Media Create data have you been checking out in the past few years? ;)

I'll spin it back to you, what global sales data have you been checking out? As far as i'm concerned, wiiU is selling at a faster rate (although it's still selling horribly). 

Both systems are selling at very bad paces. Although, one is completely dead in the US, horrible in Europe and bad in Japan while the other is bad in the US, horrible in Europe and Japan. 

I do think that both systems will end up selling a similar amount lifetime though, 18M.

I'm saying 20 million right now (being generous), the GCN finished at 22 mill, so that would be a no.

Basically the same thing though, it's not as if Nintendo will be happy with 23 million versus say 21 million.

Thing is even with Mario Kart and Smash it's unlikely the Wii U will match the GameCube's 2003 (same equivalent year) because that was the GCN's best year with the $99.99 price cut and Mario Kart: Double Dash. So that leaves 2015 for the Wii U to have to start making up ground ... it's just too late. GCN basically outsold the Wii U at launch and all of last year (2013 vs. 2002). 

Wii U could very well be the first Nintendo console to not pass 20 million (unless you count Virtual Boy).

All I see is Wii U continuing to lose momentum. Unfortunately, I don't think it will ever reach 20M.

Seece said:
leyendax69 said:
Maybe, but you have to take in count that Gamecube had Smash Bros almost since its launch.

No I don't, that didn't push 3.3m systems.

Good to know that you possess some of the data showing who of the 7million people that bought the game actually bought the system with it, may you share it with us?