By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you still think WiiU can outsell Gamecube? (US: Second January, GC: 81k Vs WiiU: 49k)

Will WiiU Beat Gamecube?

Yes 190 47.98%

No 138 34.85%

Maybe / See results 66 16.67%

Total:394

No, I don't think it will beat the GC's lifetime sale. And accepting this will make me less disappointed throughout this generation. 

If I had to guess Wii U's lifetime sales it would be...
2014: 9 million
2015: 12 million
2016: 14.5 million
2017: 16 million

This is if 1. Smash Bros. and Mario Kart become the biggest selling franchise for the Wii U 2. The Wii U stays at $250 because of the Game Pad 3.  Any Redesign 

Nvm, 16 million might be too low.  If Melee sold ~7 million in 22 userbase, then SSB4 will sell 5 million in  16 million user base if we take the same attach ratio. Not sure if that's possible if Brawl sold near 11 million... And I really doubt SSB4 will have a higher attach ratio than Melee.

Around the Network
benji232 said:
MikeRox said:
benji232 said:
Somini said:
I thought it will do 30 million, but now i'm not sure if it will even reach 20 million. I've never seen sales this bad, not even Vita is THIS bad.

What NPD data have you been checking out in the past few years?

What Media Create data have you been checking out in the past few years? ;)

I'll spin it back to you, what global sales data have you been checking out? As far as i'm concerned, wiiU is selling at a faster rate (although it's still selling horribly). 

Both systems are selling at very bad paces. Although, one is completely dead in the US, horrible in Europe and bad in Japan while the other is bad in the US, horrible in Europe and Japan. 

I do think that both systems will end up selling a similar amount lifetime though, 18M.

There isn't any solid global sales data. However VGChartz has Vita above Wii U quite a lot in global sales.

Wii U got off to a faster launch, but it's not really eaten any further into Vita's lead since then. It has a rally in the holidays... but then Vita seems to level out slightly ahead for the rest of the time.

I do think Wii U has more overall selling ability with price drops and what could be much bigger hitting software.

But I don't think anyone can really claim a Wii U sales victory based on the past 12 months.

VGChartz' global year to date update puts the Vita ahead of Wii U in 2014 btw.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251509/2014-year-on-year-sales-and-market-share-update-to-february-1st/

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
benji232 said:
MikeRox said:
benji232 said:
Somini said:
I thought it will do 30 million, but now i'm not sure if it will even reach 20 million. I've never seen sales this bad, not even Vita is THIS bad.

What NPD data have you been checking out in the past few years?

What Media Create data have you been checking out in the past few years? ;)

I'll spin it back to you, what global sales data have you been checking out? As far as i'm concerned, wiiU is selling at a faster rate (although it's still selling horribly). 

Both systems are selling at very bad paces. Although, one is completely dead in the US, horrible in Europe and bad in Japan while the other is bad in the US, horrible in Europe and Japan. 

I do think that both systems will end up selling a similar amount lifetime though, 18M.

There isn't any solid global sales data. However VGChartz has Vita above Wii U quite a lot in global sales.

Wii U got off to a faster launch, but it's not really eaten any further into Vita's lead since then. It has a rally in the holidays... but then Vita seems to level out slightly ahead for the rest of the time.

I do think Wii U has more overall selling ability with price drops and what could be much bigger hitting software.

But I don't think anyone can really claim a Wii U sales victory based on the past 12 months.

Of course vita has sold more then wiiU globally to date because it's been on the market for a year longer. And wiiU is outselling it launch aligned which is what I was talking about. And I never claimed wiiU sales victory lol... I'm not some kind of wiiU fanboy who hopes that vita dies and burn and wiiU to rise and shine. I own both systems and I want both of them to succeed, however, both of them are flopping hard atm. 

And my original point was for Somini where he said that he had never seen sales that low, not even for vita when vita has indeed sold slower then wiiU.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

That's my point though. Vita is currently selling slightly better than the Wii U globally as in... for 2014. So launching earlier is irrelevant for that.

As I said, Wii U had a much better launch than the Vita (which is why it's tracking ahead). But after this it's been pretty much sales parity for both systems. For the past 12 months, there's really been barely anything in them.

I don't want either system to fail either, I have both of them too! (yay team losers! :D)  And I do still think Wii U will finish with a higher userbase than Vita at the end of the generation.

MikeRox said:
That's my point though. Vita is currently selling slightly better than the Wii U globally as in... for 2014.

Cmon, are we really going to argue for the first few weeks of 2014 when it's 2-3k difference in sales? We can talk about global 2013 sales because 2013 is over, and we will be able to talk about 2014 sales when the year is over. If vita was currently doubling wiiU sales, then you could of had a point, but 2-3k difference is absolutely nothing. We've seen that last year when vita outsold wiiU in most weeks of 2013, however, wiiU just destroyed it in the holidays which boosted it above vita.

We have no idea what could happen in 2014, maybe slim will revitalise Vita in the US and Europe. Maybe MK8 will indeed revitalise wiiU. We have no clue what's going to happen.

Around the Network

As bad as the Wii U is doing right now, and as much as I don't like the Wii U right now, I don't think it will sold lesser than the GC. It definitely have very great games on it. I mean, there are probably many like me who are planning to buy a Wii U much later in the future. I just don't think the Wii U right now is worth what it is.

First off im not going buy NPD anymore after reading the fine print its states it doesn't track digital distribution. Meaning someone buying online from a store, which is a nice chunk how people shopshop. Also doesn't count used Us like if someone goes to Game Stop and picks up a refurbished U. Easily skew ing numbers lower. Sorry a genuine discussion isn't just bad mouthing Nintendo every chance you get.

I still think a 100$ price cut would save it. And by save I don't mean to come close to 4/1 at all, but reach 30-40 million.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

benji232 said:
MikeRox said:
That's my point though. Vita is currently selling slightly better than the Wii U globally as in... for 2014.

Cmon, are we really going to argue for the first few weeks of 2014 when it's 2-3k difference in sales? We can talk about global 2013 sales because 2013 is over, and we will be able to talk about 2014 sales when the year is over. If vita was currently doubling wiiU sales, then you could of had a point, but 2-3k difference is absolutely nothing. We've seen that last year when vita outsold wiiU in most weeks of 2013, however, wiiU just destroyed it in the holidays which boosted it above vita.

We have no idea what could happen in 2014, maybe slim will revitalise Vita in the US and Europe. Maybe MK8 will indeed revitalise wiiU. We have no clue what's going to happen.

I tried looking for 2013 data on here, but couldn't find it (yeh I'm useless at using this site) but from what I remember, barring holiday oeriods Wii U hasn't really outsold Vita at all in the past 12 months.

But hadn't the Wii U shifted about 3.5m units by this time last year and the Vita about 5.5m? Therefore 5.7m and 7.5m as VG Chartz currently shows suggests that overall since this time last year, there's not been much of a difference. And Wii U sales grew that much in December in the US that that pretty much explains the slight closing in their gaps.

Anyone got any graphs for this?

MikeRox said:
benji232 said:
MikeRox said:

I tried looking for 2013 data on here, but couldn't find it (yeh I'm useless at using this site) but from what I remember, barring holiday oeriods Wii U hasn't really outsold Vita at all in the past 12 months.

But hadn't the Wii U shifted about 3.5m units by this time last year and the Vita about 5.5m? Therefore 5.7m and 7.5m as VG Chartz currently shows suggests that overall since this time last year, there's not been much of a difference. And Wii U sales grew that much in December in the US that that pretty much explains the slight closing in their gaps.

Anyone got any graphs for this?

Last year, wiiU sold 3,232,000 units while vita sold 3,121,000 units. You're right, vita was outselling wiiU in most weeks of 2013, however as I said, wiiU completely destroyed the vita in November December in the US and Japan which pushed it above Vita.

For the sake of the argument, vita launched in Japan in October 2011, it sold 481k units in 2011. It then launched globally in Feb 2012 and sold 3,671M units in 2012. 

WiiU on the other hand launched globally in 2012 and sold 2,2M units in 1 1/2 month and sold another 3.2M units in 2013. Basically, wiiU sold 5,4m units in it's first year and half (EDIT: I ment for it's first 13 1/2 months) while vita sold 4,1m in it's first year+2months. However, it wasn't launched globally in 2011, however, it wouldn't have changed much seeing the 1,4m gap and how the US has always been it's weakest market by a longshot and Japan (the only region that it was launched in 2012) is by far it's strongest market.