By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you still think WiiU can outsell Gamecube? (US: Second January, GC: 81k Vs WiiU: 49k)

Will WiiU Beat Gamecube?

Yes 190 47.98%

No 138 34.85%

Maybe / See results 66 16.67%

Total:394
Nintentacle said:
Somini said:
I thought it will do 30 million, but now i'm not sure if it will even reach 20 million. I've never seen sales this bad, not even Vita is THIS bad.

Vita is doing worse...

Just saying that doesn't make it true! The numbers don't back up what you're claiming.

Around the Network

My little girl sold more candy bars for her school fund-raiser than Nintendo will sell Wii U's. I'm still hoping for that one game that will hit like a bolt of lightning and reinvigorate the Wii U like Pokemon did for the 10 year old Gameboy back in 1998. It could happen but you can't manufacture a phenomenon. It has to happen on its own. Unless that miracle happens, I accept the Wii U's fate. All I can do now is enjoy it.

I don't see why it won't eventually outsell the GameCube. It has a much longer way to go in regards to price.

GameCube launched in the UK at £129.99 and dropped to £99.99. It really never had anywhere to go.

Wii U launched at £299.99 and is currently £249.99. Mainstream prices for consoles here are £199.99 (for cutting edge ones). I do think when Nintendo can get to the sub £149.99 mark they will be able to find a much broader userbase. Especially as more of their big name games will be out.

With the likes of Mario Kart etc on the market too, I do think they might be able to convince a few more Wii owners to upgrade as well. My estimate for Wii U is about 30-35m lifetime based on what we currently know and likely predictable future events (such as price drops).

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Somini said:
Nintentacle said:
Somini said:
I thought it will do 30 million, but now i'm not sure if it will even reach 20 million. I've never seen sales this bad, not even Vita is THIS bad.

Vita is doing worse...

Just saying that doesn't make it true! The numbers don't back up what you're claiming.

Well It's tracking ahead of Vita and It's doing better this year so far.

If Smash Bros. and Mario Kart can't do it, I'm pretty sure it's game over. There may be quite a few fence sitters out there like me, but honestly nothing Nintendo has been doing Wii U wise has broken through the rising drumbeat of analysts salivating over Nintendo publishing on mobile devices and other platforms. 

Around the Network

I stand by my prediction of 18 million

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

I still think the Wii U will outsell the Gamecube.

Nintentacle said:
Somini said:
Nintentacle said:
Somini said:

Vita is doing worse...

Well It's tracking ahead of Vita and It's doing better this year so far.

Didn't NDP (which covers the region where Wii U is shifting more than Vita in any meaningful quantity according to VGChartz) show that VGChartz is actually overtracking it in the US?

Better Japanese sales of Vita appear to be offsetting better US sales of Wii U. As for tracking ahead, yeah it had a much better launch, but it's completely stopped gaining ground since then that I wouldn't really say either is doing "better" than the other.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I think wiiu was released too soon. It's both a positive and a negative to be released so early before competition. If they presented a WiiU at the the time the other consoles PS4 and XB1 were released, that direct competition would have been more favorable.

I think it will, but certainly not by much. With its two biggest trump cards still under its belt, it's as if it will have another launch. I'd be happy to see 25M.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity