By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you still think WiiU can outsell Gamecube? (US: Second January, GC: 81k Vs WiiU: 49k)

Will WiiU Beat Gamecube?

Yes 190 47.98%

No 138 34.85%

Maybe / See results 66 16.67%

Total:394
Downanime00 said:

As bad as the Wii U is doing right now, and as much as I don't like the Wii U right now, I don't think it will sold lesser than the GC. It definitely have very great games on it. I mean, there are probably many like me who are planning to buy a Wii U much later in the future. I just don't think the Wii U right now is worth what it is.

Exactly. And there are also many many people who will buy the WiiU in the future and just don´t know it yet. Now they are happy with their PS4,Xbox etc but when the WiiU is 100$ cheaper and the games keep coming in... 

Around the Network

So 110,000 units difference in 12 months. Means Wii U sold about 9200 on average per month more than Vita last year.

While Vita has sold 10,000 more than Wii U for 1 month of 2014 which you said was negligible.

So yeah... lets just agree there's really nothing in it since Wii U's launch sales died down :) And lets hope they both outsell the GCN in lifetime sales!!!

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
So 110,000 units difference in 12 months. Means Wii U sold about 9200 on average per month more than Vita last year.

While Vita has sold 10,000 more than Wii U for 1 month of 2014 which you said was negligible.

So yeah... lets just agree there's really nothing in it since Wii U's launch sales died down :) And lets hope they both outsell the GCN in lifetime sales!!!

As a owner of both devices, I hope both of them sell much more then the GC! I want to see another console from Nintendo and I want to see another handheld from Sony. So yea, hopefully both of them see amazing upsticks in terms of sales because they both deserve it to be honnest :).

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Nintendo's released its numbers and its at 5.86 million for the total of after 2013 and its 2012 launch. This number is most accurate because once again Nintendo is publicly traded company like I keep mentioning. They were at around 210 million dollar profit for 2013 but did not cover operating costs, which is normal after first year of launch. Do you think PS4 or XBone will cover their operating costs in their first year highly unlikely due to the amount of advertising they spent. If anyone had a management job or ran your own business you would understand this.

leyendax69 said:
Maybe, but you have to take in count that Gamecube had Smash Bros almost since its launch.

That doesnt really matter.  Wii u had nsmbu from launch.  What does probably matter is the price of the launches.  Gamecube released at 200 and wii u released at 350.  

Personally, I think the wii u can outsell the gamecube IF nintendo can get the price down.  It probably needs to be at half the price of the ps4 to be somewhat competitive...

Around the Network
DolPhanTendo said:
First off im not going buy NPD anymore after reading the fine print its states it doesn't track digital distribution. Meaning someone buying online from a store, which is a nice chunk how people shopshop. Also doesn't count used Us like if someone goes to Game Stop and picks up a refurbished U. Easily skew ing numbers lower. Sorry a genuine discussion isn't just bad mouthing Nintendo every chance you get.

A refurbished wii u would count towards sales.  A used wii u wouldnt, but it also shouldnt as you would take away the wii u from one household to add it to another.

also, digital distribution refers to downloadable games instead of disc based games purchased in stores.  Web site traffic like amazon is considered in the npd.  So...you cant download the wii u hardware...so...

benji232 said:
Somini said:
I thought it will do 30 million, but now i'm not sure if it will even reach 20 million. I've never seen sales this bad, not even Vita is THIS bad.

What NPD data have you been checking out in the past few years?

Who's talking about NPD? Or are you gonna concentrate on the US sales because it's the WiiU's strongest region?

It's best games are still ahead of it, which wasn't quite the case for GC at this point in life (the only really big GC title remaining was Mario Kart: Double Dash, given Wind Waker's middling sales reception)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I would be inclined to say it's because the Gamecube already had it's own big Mario, Zelda, Smash, and few other popular ones like Luigi's Mansion to help it along. The only genuine big Wii-U exclusive to help is stand out is Pikmen 3 at the moment. I'd wait and see if bigger titles like MK8 and Smash help it sell more. If not, then the Wii-U may end up finishing as Nintendo's worst selling home console.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Somini said:
benji232 said:
Somini said:
I thought it will do 30 million, but now i'm not sure if it will even reach 20 million. I've never seen sales this bad, not even Vita is THIS bad.

What NPD data have you been checking out in the past few years?

Who's talking about NPD? Or are you gonna concentrate on the US sales because it's the WiiU's strongest region?

Look at my discussion with mike in the last 2 pages of this thread. WiiU is ahead of the vita launches aligned by quite a margin. 

I'm not disagreeing that sales of wiiU are horrible. However, Vita sales were definetly just as bad if not worst then wiiU.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M