By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you still think WiiU can outsell Gamecube? (US: Second January, GC: 81k Vs WiiU: 49k)

Will WiiU Beat Gamecube?

Yes 190 47.98%

No 138 34.85%

Maybe / See results 66 16.67%

Total:394

need a tip section had no idea what exactly GC sold

its possible that wiiu can pass 21.7M i can only see wiiU selling 3-4M yearly with a max of 5M. wiiu is in its 2nd full year right now i only see the console being available at its max meaningful sales per year for another 3-4 yrs. we are at 5.6M yrs now plus 3-4M a year for 4yrs and you get 17.6-21.6M my range is certainly close and as i stated its possible.

i think will know for sure around this time next year once a few more big SW releases drop and price cuts but if the next couple of SW fail to give any significant sales boost than it may not make it to 22M and end up closer to my 17M estimate

Play Me

Around the Network

The Gamecube launched at $199. By this time in its life it was $149 and its (notable exclusive) software linep already consisted of Smash Bros, Metroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, Rogue Leader, Waverace, Luigi's Mansion, Resident Evil Remake, Eternal Darkness, Starfox Adventures and Animal Crossing. Wind Waker was about a month away from release and by the end of this year aligned, the Cube would have Mario Kart, F-Zero, and retail for $99.

It was an injustice that the Gamecube didn't sell better. The PS2 already had a commanding lead and was the darling of the industry before Nintendo and Microsoft's offerings even arrived.

WiiU launched at $349 ($299 basic) and is now $299 flat. Its (notable exclusive) software lineup consists of NSMBU, Luigi U, Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Nintendoland, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, Lego City and soon to be Donkey Kong. Wind Waker HD is fantastic, but just a port (not a full remake like RE on the Cube), Wii Sports Club is a pretty gimped cash-in and Wonderful 101 was sent out to die.

WiiU hasn't even had close to the performance from a quality standpoint that the Cube did by this point - and at a much higher price point to boot. It has some fine games, but making direct comparisons is flawed because WiiU still has big cards to play and big price drops to come. That is, if Nintendo gets their sh!t together and does something about it.

Let's get down to brass tacks. Nintendo needs to release an SKU without the Gamepad. It sucks that it has come to this, but a $199 WiiU w/Wiimote & nunchuck would provide way more positives than negatives at this point. I love the GP and I'm glad I have one, but Ninty did nothing to make it an industry standard and now they have to adapt. A $199 WiiU with games on the way like MK, Smash, probably Wii Sports 3, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Starfox, F-Zero, Mario Party and eventually Zelda U (throw in games like Bayo 2, X and Yoshi) would indeed go on to outsell the Cube, IMO. Nintendo fans holding out would jump in instantly and WiiU's "second system" status would rise immensely for many other gamers.

Seece said:
Aerys said:
GC could have sold more than 21M, same for Wii U, it will surely do much less in the same time but could do much more if they keep it alive longer than GC

Really? How? It was cut to $99 pretty quickly. That's pretty much the biggest thing they could do ....

Since when did Nintendo (this last decade or so) support systems for more than 5 years? And WiiU isn't doing well as it is ... if it's doing 49k this January, what is it going to be doing in 2 januarys from now???

It's unrelistic to expect WiiU to be selling in 2017.

I can say the same with the PS4 and Xbox One with that logic.

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD

Zelhawks37 said:
Seece said:
Aerys said:
GC could have sold more than 21M, same for Wii U, it will surely do much less in the same time but could do much more if they keep it alive longer than GC

Really? How? It was cut to $99 pretty quickly. That's pretty much the biggest thing they could do ....

Since when did Nintendo (this last decade or so) support systems for more than 5 years? And WiiU isn't doing well as it is ... if it's doing 49k this January, what is it going to be doing in 2 januarys from now???

It's unrelistic to expect WiiU to be selling in 2017.

I can say the same with the PS4 and Xbox One with that logic.

No you can't. Gamecube got killed early, Xbox did because of reasons (Nvidia dispute ect), PS2 kept going. Wii died the fastest, PS360 are still going. Nintendo just don't sell systems for a long time these days.

I mean, PS360 had 8 year+ lifespans selling 5m+, you really expect PS4 and XB1 to only have 4 succesful year?

I'm going to say that the Wii U will sell 21 Million. So, if you want to take my exact number, no. It'll be off by 700k. But, I'm not sure about the extra 100k the Wii U will sell.

Maybe, but only maybe, the Wii U will sell 22/23 Million. That depends if Mario Kart 8, SSB4, and the next Zelda really push the Wii U up. If they don't work out well, then it'll settle behind the GameCube.

Around the Network

I love Nintendo, but at this point the Wii U deserves to do badly. Gamers these days expect a major game release at least every two months or so and Nintendo has failed miserably at delivering that. It looks like they'll continue to fail this gen as well.

you should do a week by week or month sales comparison chart.

Folks seem to be ignoring one very simple fact.

Gamecube had fairly strong third party support, and in it's first two years, I'm not sure there was a single month where at least ONE (usually more) retail titles came out for it. Nintendo's support in the first two years was also very strong. But that third party support filling out the release slate was a WAY different situation than Wii U is facing.

Having said that, yes, I do believe Wii U can and will outsell GC and even N64, based on the fact that franchises like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, etc., have much more mainstream popularity now compared to then. And Nintendo knowing the position their console is in, they will no doubt "pull out all the stops", as much as they can, to make sure the system levels out and does well sales-wise. Keep in mind that Nintendo also has a lot more money to potentially throw around than they did in the GC era, thanks to the massive success of DS and Wii.

Regardless, this thread is just another in the millions of various NIntendoom threads posted every month around here. SOS.

Read my detailed estimates here

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=178368&page=1#
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=178341&page=1#

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

DevilRising said:

Regardless, this thread is just another in the millions of various NIntendoom threads posted every month around here. SOS.

what are you overly sensetive ?

its in no way a doom thread, get over it.