By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UH OH! WiiU Jan 2013 > Xbox One Jan 2014 in sales.

Kresnik said:
Unfair comparison. Xbox One still has to release in Japan, its strongest region.

This made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

Around the Network

Whether or not the numbers in OP are completely correct is beside the point because it would be close enough. I've said multiple times now that the XBox One is going to end up in WiiU territory, the 'ballpark' if you will, with both battling for second place far behind the PS4. Seems like I'm going to be right on this one, I'm better than Pachter.

Hurrah? Huzzah?

Let's break this down a bit.

1. Post holiday is traditionally the weakest time of the year for game and hardware sales. No one really wants to release premier games in Jan/Feb and for good reason.

2. The Wii U isn't suffering from the inevitable post launch software drought. It has a year plus back catalog to support hardware sales.

3. There is currently nothing to spur sales of the XB1 until Titanfall releases. This is the most debatable statement, but the key thing that moves new hardware in the absence of new or killer app software is consumer perceptions of limited supply relative to demand. The XB1 does not have this going for it no matter how much MS PR guys would like to spin it. The XB1 is available everywhere they are sold.

Essentially, the XB1 is suffering from almost the exact same problems as the PS3 back in Jan/Feb '07. Overpriced, relative to the competition, with not enough compelling software to currently justify the added cost.

One thing has panned out for the post launch assessment; it's clear the PS4 has taken the initiative. Many, including myself said "wait and see until Q2 '14 to see how the initial sales trends pan out to make a first assessment of how the 8th gen is shaping up." The next major marker will be holiday season '14 to see what, if anything has changed or if there is some sort of unexpected parity shift that occurs due to unforeseen events (price drop, killer app release, major announcement, etc.).

So, now is really not the time for any doomsaying or Uh Oh! statements or assessments. The XB1 should see some upticks in hardware sales with the release of major titles leading up to the holiday season. Titanfall is a big marker. If it doesn't move a significant amount of hardware, that's something to note.

XbOne adjusted down in Europe by 8k, can anyone tell me how to check the "others" sales, I thought they are included in EU or it has changed?

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Fusioncode said:
POE said:
The game market is crashing and nobody accept it.

The PS4 is doing just fine. 

But Sony, the company that makes it, isn't.

It would be supremely ironic that Sony has to sell off/ spin off Sony Entertainment Division, while MS win by default since their company has more liquid assets.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
brute said:

I for one fear that the game market has shrunk A LOT.

Or everybody wants the PS4 but the stock is too low...

Listen up Xbox fans. Some advice from a Nintendo fan who has seen and said a few stupid things in defense my console of choice.

If you have to defend something, you're already losing.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

double post

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

torok said:
brute said:

I for one fear that the game market has shrunk A LOT.

Or everybody wants the PS4 but the stock is too low...

Or there arn't actually enough new incentives for millions of people to go out and buy the new console systems yet.

Wait? What? Using VGChartz numbers:

WiiU 2013: 279,851

Xbox One 2014: 301,214

Wait? Is VGChartz overtracking the Xbox One in the U.S?

VG: 183,682
NPD: 145Kish?

if so than that makes sense...and is awful for the Xbox One.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.