By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UH OH! WiiU Jan 2013 > Xbox One Jan 2014 in sales.

Xbox One is doomed? I suppose it's only fair that each company have at least 1 doomed thing. Ninty has the WiiU, Sony has the Vita and, well, Sony and now the Xbox One is doomed for MS.

I guess Zune was too long ago now. Need something new to be doomed.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Adding Japan's sales for the Wii U is kind of unfair, don't you think? And I'm saying this as someone who's been a huge Nintendo fan for 25 years. I Played With Power (regular, Portable, and Super), I Played It Loud, and I Changed The System. But even I realize that in a per-region case, the Wii U isn't doing well. The only place it has a chance of beating the XBO is Japan. Nintendo has once again been reduced to niche status in the home console arena. If you subtract Japanese Wii U sales, then combined Wii U sales for NA+EU in Jan. 2013 was something like 110-120k, about half of combined NA+EU sales for the XBO last month. Of course, even then most of the XBO's sales are in America, and in the U.S. it's no contest (145k for the XBO vs. 56k for the Wii U last January), and IIRC last year's Jan. was a 5-week NPD). The XBO didn't do too terribly better last month in Europe than the Wii U did in January (76k for the XBO vs. 54k for the Wii U), but this is Europe we're talking about, as historically they're PlayStation Country. But in any case, if you go by total global sales, the XBO still had a far better first January than the Wii U. I don't like it any more than you do, but the numbers don't lie: even though it's getting its butt kicked by the PS4, like, everywhere, the XBO is still performing strongly enough in the U.S. to boost global sales ahead of Wii U levels, and that's with the Xbox brand being relevant in only two of the three major regions.

This. I couldn't agree more.

brute said:

WiiU Jan 2013

Total 278,539

Xbox One Jan 2014

NPD around 145k.

And according to vgchartz, its sales in Europe are as follows(and I believe these to be overtracked aswell).

Total 274746

What do the doomsayers have to say now?

What are you comparing??

XB1 Global

Jan 4: 166,226
Jan 11: 
Jan 18: 
Jan 25: 
Feb 1: 

Wii U Global

Jan 5: 123,651
Jan 12: 
Jan 19: 
Jan 26: 
Feb 2: 

XB1: 
Wii U: 278,539

Who's behind what now?  XB1 is ahead and trending much better than Wii U.

Can people check facts before writing 10 pages of arguments?

My 8th gen collection

BeElite said:

One of them did have the benefit of costing way less and not having to go up against the almighty PS4

The other has the benefit of far more third-party support, siginificantly more power and a much better console design.

Scizor_99 said:
BeElite said:

One of them did have the benefit of costing way less and not having to go up against the almighty PS4

a much better console design.

What? It's a box.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
brute said:
BeElite said:

That's true, but still it outsold it, yet people are calling WiiU doomed and not the Xbox One.

I for one fear that the game market has shrunk A LOT.

The X1 won't go as low as the WiiU though.

Also, BeElite already said it - the WiiU had no competition.

Kresnik said:
Unfair comparison. Xbox One still has to release in Japan, its strongest region.

that's xbox one's worst region

Hello.... check facts people. XB1 sales > Wii U sales.

My 8th gen collection

megaman79 said:
Scizor_99 said:
BeElite said:

a much better console design.

What? It's a box.

I meant features, interface, and the messages those give to consumers. Sorry; should've been clearer.

ICStats said:
Hello.... check facts people. XB1 sales > Wii U sales.

If you compare week to week to make it a fair comparison yeah, but otherwise if you just go Jan to Jan Wii U>XBONE once all adjustments are made.