By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - After seeing Bayonetta 2 and 'X' in action today...

The PS4's power seems...

Better, but not THAT much better anymore... 241 15.42%

Are you crazy?! The PS4 is GOD! 349 22.33%

The Wii U is clearly unde... 741 47.41%

The PS4 is selling better... 36 2.30%

I think I'll be buying a... 191 12.22%

Total:1,558
curl-6 said:

You're strawmanning, I never said PS4 graphics wouldn't improve over time. I said its closer to its potential than Wii U is, and I stand by that, because currently Wii U doesn't have one single game designed from the ground up to push the hardware, while PS4 does.

And you're meandering to maintain a flawed argument.

If you truly believe the PS4 software development has "pushed close to it's potential" with it's launch lineup, you're in for a really hard E3.

Around the Network

X looks really good. when there is more games like X on WiiU, it'll convince me to get one.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
lucidium said:
curl-6 said:

You're strawmanning, I never said PS4 graphics wouldn't improve over time. I said its closer to its potential than Wii U is, and I stand by that, because currently Wii U doesn't have one single game designed from the ground up to push the hardware, while PS4 does.

If you truly believe the PS4 software development has "pushed close to it's potential" with it's launch lineup, you're in for a really hard E3.

Try actually reading my post. I didn't say it had "pushed close to its potential", I said it was closer to it than Wii U.
PS4 graphics will improve with time. It just won't be anywhere near the kind of improvement we saw on PS3.

zorg1000 said:

So if sales=quality does that also mean quality=sales? What if a game/movie/book/CD is 100% liked by everyone who played/watched/read/listened to it but still didnt sell extremely well do to lack of advertising and public awareness? Would that make it a non quality product because it didnt sell well?

The lack of advertising is one thing but if the product like minecraft was able to sell so well without any spending on marketing then it just goes to show you that market demand is the determinant factor.

lets say a publisher spends $1 billion dollars on advertising a specific game, making sure there is a TV spot on every channel at least once per hour, has an ad in every major magazine, pays reviewers to give perfect scores, has the most popular celebrities hype it up and has promos at every major sporting event which causes the public awareness of the game to be through the roof. The game sells 10 million units week one but most those people realize they hate the game and sell it before they even finish it. The game sells zero untis from that point forward and is so hated that the game never gets any sequels and the publisher goes bankrupt from spending so much money on advertising.

Your example is more than ridiculous ... Like said before "Customers are not perfect either." but they really aren't that stupid to let that situation happen. Marketing and hype can only go so far to distort sales but overall customers will still determine the quality. BF4 sold less than BF3 despite having more marketing push. Hype and Marketing can not create market demand.

Compare that to a game with little to no advertising with a very small amount of people who even know the game exists. The game sells 100k in the first month and almost everybody who plays it loves it. Through word of mouth the game becomes more popular and sales begin to increase, over the course of a year it goes on to sell 3 million units and the company makes a ton of money allowing them to make multiple sequels. Which one of the these games would be considered a more quality product?

That obviously is a decent quality product seeing as how it has meaningful legs to be able to pull off decent long term sales but your last example is mostly null and void.

Or another example a game releases with a price tag of $1 and sells 30 million compare that to a game that costs $60 and sells 25 million. The $1 game costs 1/60 the price but barely outsells the other. Is it a more quality product just because it was able to sell more?

This is the console space ... It's obvious that the $60 game is of better quality but profits/revenue are also another measure to quality too but so are customers. 

zorg1000 said:
JoeTheBro said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

I said this in a different forum, mostly related to PC graphics (since I'm a PC gamer), but the PS4 is closer to its full capacity than people think.  What we'll see are optimizations and clever ways to pull off graphical tricks over the years, but if you're expecting a PS3/XBox360 level of growth in graphics, that's not going to happen this generation.  If anything, the Wii U is the one that has yet to even reach its full potential, because 3rd parties don't waste their money/time making sure its optimized (ACIV anyone?), and Nintendo even has yet to reach their own full HD stride.

Pikmin 3 was their FIRST AAA HD game, and it came out quite well.  SM3DW took it up a notch, and delivered a solid experience with very neat graphics tech flying completely under the radar (textures, shaders, not a single polygon edge in sight).  DKC:TF brings in fur tech and major on-screen physics, and Mario Kart 8, well, there's no denying that game looks amazing.  See Nintendo's fast growth there?

Look at those eyes!

He was talking about 3D World not Pikmin for the part u bolded.

I'm glad someone else noticed that.  Reading fail by multiple posters a little too keen to poo-poo the WiiU :)

Regardless, Pikmin 3 is a beautiful and quite excellent game.

Around the Network
lucidium said:
curl-6 said:

You're putting words in his mouth.  All he's saying is that the WiiU follows the more traditional route that consoles have in the past where things improve tremendously over time simply because its architecture isn't as familiar or easy to code for devs in the beginning.

The PS4 is x86, which is great, but it makes it easier to harness its potential quicker.  For example, DICE is plenty familiar with x86 architecture yet B4 still had its res lowered to 900p to ensure performance.  Was that a shoddy job by DICE?  Could it have run in 1080p with more time?  Quite possibly, but DICE are known for impressive graphics with x86 architecture so it's not like they were limited to working with exotic architecture with the PS4.

Every console will improve over time.  From what I've seen, I already think Infamous looks better than any of the PS4 launch games and I'm expecting Uncharted 4 to look even better.  And the WiiU will never be able to hold a candle graphics-wise to most PS4 games from a technical standpoint.  But what WiiU could do is show the most graphical improvement over its lifetime from launch to discontinuation compared to the PS4/XB1 which might hit their peak quicker.

archbrix said:

You're putting words in his mouth.  All he's saying is that the WiiU follows the more traditional route that consoles have in the past where things improve tremendously over time simply because its architecture isn't as familiar or easy to code for devs in the beginning.

The PS4 is x86, which is great, but it makes it easier to harness its potential quicker.  For example, DICE is plenty familiar with x86 architecture yet B4 still had its res lowered to 900p to ensure performance.  Was that a shoddy job by DICE?  Could it have run in 1080p with more time?  Quite possibly, but DICE are known for impressive graphics with x86 architecture so it's not like they were limited to working with exotic architecture with the PS4.

Every console will improve over time.  From what I've seen, I already think Infamous looks better than any of the PS4 launch games and I'm expecting Uncharted 4 to look even better.  And the WiiU will never be able to hold a candle graphics-wise to most PS4 games from a technical standpoint.  But what WiiU could do is show the most graphical improvement over its lifetime from launch to discontinuation compared to the PS4/XB1 which might hit their peak quicker.

He is saying that the leap in quality between launch titles on the ps4 and games late in its life will not share the same advancements in quality,  as previous consoles or the WiiU, his only basis for this is that killzone was built from the ground up for the PS4, that basis is a loose and inaccurate representation, I've been a developer for various games studios for well over a decade and I am seeing strides made in PS4 development just as impressive and shocking as advancements in all of the other platforms I have worked on.

The WiiU will indeed see advancements over its lifetime, but that is entirely my point (read my first post in this thread), I state, clearly, that comparing games much later in to the development cycle of a console to launch titles is a biased and skewed way to approach it, which is when Curl piped up.

Again, reality is that all of the consoles are seeing major improvements in all areas as developers spend more time with the consoles, ease of development is a double edged sword in terms of quality, you could argue that its easier for developers to push the hardware, but i would argue, and point to a large portion of the WiiU's third party offerings, the point that familiarity and ease of development breeds lazyness as much as it breeds innovation, so having exotic hardware or straight forward hardware has its own caveats over the course of the platforms life.

But I degress, it's completely pointless to bring my experience to the table because he is simply going to believe that the WiiU will make larger advancements than the PlayStation 4, because it's more beneficial to his opinion and preference to do so.

hsrob said:
zorg1000 said:
JoeTheBro said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

I said this in a different forum, mostly related to PC graphics (since I'm a PC gamer), but the PS4 is closer to its full capacity than people think.  What we'll see are optimizations and clever ways to pull off graphical tricks over the years, but if you're expecting a PS3/XBox360 level of growth in graphics, that's not going to happen this generation.  If anything, the Wii U is the one that has yet to even reach its full potential, because 3rd parties don't waste their money/time making sure its optimized (ACIV anyone?), and Nintendo even has yet to reach their own full HD stride.

Pikmin 3 was their FIRST AAA HD game, and it came out quite well.  SM3DW took it up a notch, and delivered a solid experience with very neat graphics tech flying completely under the radar (textures, shaders, not a single polygon edge in sight).  DKC:TF brings in fur tech and major on-screen physics, and Mario Kart 8, well, there's no denying that game looks amazing.  See Nintendo's fast growth there?

Look at those eyes!

He was talking about 3D World not Pikmin for the part u bolded.

I'm glad someone else noticed that.  Reading fail by multiple posters a little too keen to poo-poo the WiiU :)

Regardless, Pikmin 3 is a beautiful and quite excellent game.

The weird part is that ZyroXZ2 didnt correct him and went along with it lol

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Bayonetta running on reqaltime 60fps is really something impressive, still i think WiiU HW is very young, and we should see things much better than this.

lucidium said:
archbrix said:

He is saying that the leap in quality between launch titles on the ps4 and games late in its life will not share the same advancements in quality,  as previous consoles or the WiiU, his only basis for this is that killzone was built from the ground up for the PS4, that basis is a loose and inaccurate representation, I've been a developer for various games studios for well over a decade and I am seeing strides made in PS4 development just as impressive and shocking as advancements in all of the other platforms I have worked on.

The WiiU will indeed see advancements over its lifetime, but that is entirely my point (read my first post in this thread), I state, clearly, that comparing games much later in to the development cycle of a console to launch titles is a biased and skewed way to approach it, which is when Curl piped up.

Again, reality is that all of the consoles are seeing major improvements in all areas as developers spend more time with the consoles, ease of development is a double edged sword in terms of quality, you could argue that its easier for developers to push the hardware, but i would argue, and point to a large portion of the WiiU's third party offerings, the point that familiarity and ease of development breeds lazyness as much as it breeds innovation, so having exotic hardware or straight forward hardware has its own caveats over the course of the platforms life.

But I degress, it's completely pointless to bring my experience to the table because he is simply going to believe that the WiiU will make larger advancements than the PlayStation 4, because it's more beneficial to his opinion and preference to do so.

Time is one factor; money, resources, manpower, and talent are others, and the PS4 has already had far more of these poured into pushing its hardware in its 3 months of life than the Wii U has in its 15 months.