By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft explains why it delayed Watch Dogs on Wii U

WiiU Version delayed ...

July 67 14.32%

August 29 6.20%

September 44 9.40%

October 17 3.63%

November 24 5.13%

December 6 1.28%

2015 21 4.49%

2016 10 2.14%

2090 249 53.21%

Total:467
Aerys said:
superchunk said:
Soundwave said:

It's not gonna sell like Zombi U. That game was pushed fairly heavily for the Wii U launch window and even bundled with the system for a while.

Take a good hard look at those Assassin's Creed IV sales and start counting down from there. 

I as mentioned... AC4 died accross the board. When from a 12m franchise to 7m. People largely disliked AC3 and sales of AC4 show that.

This is a new IP with a lot of hype... at least it had a lot. That will be revitalized by E3 when it is relaunched and Wii U has largely nothing else.

I think it will easily do 400k at a min and likely closer to 750k. This is assuming Wii U gets some boost from MK8 and other titles putting it well over 6m in total sales by then.

Your expectations are really too high.

They would be happy if the game can reach 100k on Wii U.

Nintendo fans here always grossly overestimate Nintendo sales, it's generally not based on logic. A lot of them were counting on a monstrous rise in Wii U sales with Mario 3D World and were swearing up and down that the 3DS would have a gigantic YoY rise because of Pokemon X/Y. 

It's generally best to take what they say and divide by 1/2 at minimum to get something more in line with what will actually happen. 

Around the Network

It's a bummer. At least it was not outright cancelled, but even so, the chances of it releasing aren't great. And of course, sales will be worse when they were already going to be bad. Nintendo should provide an incentive to get this released, as the release schedule outside of first party games is so barren this year.

Hopefully for the last time...Wii U and profitability...

Assassin Creed (the original) had a budget of $20 million back in 2006 (statement from Yves Guillemot himself). New IP from Ubisoft that was slated to be a PS3 exclusive before going multiplat. using old data the game shipped 8 million back in 2009.

Fast forward to 2012

ZombiU:

New Ubisoft IP
Exclusive to Wii U
budget...at least $20 million (going by the logic they spent the same amount in 2006 dollars for another new IP its probably more in 2012 dollars)
Sales: unknown. Ubisoft has never given any official shipment numbers for the game
Profitable: per Yves Guillemot again, no where near it.

Sales are going to suffer... at least Wii U owners still get to play the game.

cycycychris said:
At least all the Wii U owner who are willing to wait will be able to figure out if this game is a hit or a bust. But if they figure out it's a hit they maybe forced to go buy it for one of the previous gen console. I'll still wait to get it on the Wii U but not everyone will have the patience I will. Especially if this is a lengthy delay.

You don't need a delay to see if a game is going to be a hot or a bust.......

Around the Network

I am realy dissapointed. For me its clear i buy the WII U Version. But i am pissed off. But thanks Ubi for the game

People they hate in the Internet thej have all small pe.....

superchunk said:
Soundwave said:

It's not gonna sell like Zombi U. That game was pushed fairly heavily for the Wii U launch window and even bundled with the system for a while.

Take a good hard look at those Assassin's Creed IV sales and start counting down from there. 

I as mentioned... AC4 died accross the board. When from a 12m franchise to 7m. People largely disliked AC3 and sales of AC4 show that.

From 8.74m to 6.82m, if we compare the same months (November + December each) instead of 62 weeks against 10 weeks.

AC3 in Nov. + Dec. 2012: 4.33m (PS3) + 3.81m (360) + 0.51m (PC) + 0.09m (WiiU) = 8.74m

AC4 in Nov. + Dec. 2013: 2.43m (PS3) + 2.17m (360) + 1.17 (PS4) + 0.58 (XBO) + 0.35m (PC) + 0.12m (WiiU) = 6.82m

And many people who wanted the next-gen versions couldn't get their PS4 or XBO until the end of 2013... so perhaps we should wait another few months to see, if AC4 sales much worse than AC3.

And then they will moan that third party games dont sell on Wii U.

Well... yeah... you basically just told everyone who pre-ordered the Wii U version to get a different one.

Tell me Ubisoft, how did that work for you with Rayman Legends?! It boggles the mind.

This is the kind of thing that makes me feel like siding with Nintendo, cause the way they are treated by 3rd parties just isnt right. Wii U will have a bigger installed base than the X1 for sure by launch day. Why not delay that version instead?! This is not whats best for Ubi and its fans. Its what best to fit the general consensus of Nintendo hate in the industry. They are the company that everyone wants to just go down but it doesnt, and that generates alot of hate.

oh man just when you think Ubi will be the better guy they screw it up

fuck it, I will never buy another Ubi game from now on! And don't come an tell me it is Nintendo fans fault that we don't buy third party crap!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Conina said:
superchunk said:
Soundwave said:

From 8.74m to 6.82m, if we compare the same months (November + December each) instead of 62 weeks against 10 weeks.

AC3 in Nov. + Dec. 2012: 4.33m (PS3) + 3.81m (360) + 0.51m (PC) + 0.09m (WiiU) = 8.74m

AC4 in Nov. + Dec. 2013: 2.43m (PS3) + 2.17m (360) + 1.17 (PS4) + 0.58 (XBO) + 0.35m (PC) + 0.12m (WiiU) = 6.82m

And many people who wanted the next-gen versions couldn't get their PS4 or XBO until the end of 2013... so perhaps we should wait another few months to see, if AC4 sales much worse than AC3.

The Wii U version was delayed to match the launch of X1 and PS4. Another reason why the Wii U version had its legs cuts from day one, just like Rayman legends did and just how Watch dogs is now.

Why bother to launch your games on the Wii U at all if you do this kind of thing? At the moment, it would be best for Nintendo if Ubi soft didnt release anything at all on the platform. This kind of bad rep from 3rd parties just doesnt benefit anyone, especially the Wii U.