By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Games With Gold doesn't bother competing with PS+...

Tagged games:

The sad thing is you're right, but why would you want to be? Don't you like getting great games with PS+? I do. That's the reason I subscribed over a year ago. It sucks that the free games weren't incentive enough for people to subscribe, so Sony had to start charging for online play to make money.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

Free games apparently brings in few subscribers, even if they're stellar.

According to Sony, PS+ subscribers tripled since the launch of PS4. The PS3 and Vita have a massive userbase combined. Yet a console with a userbase around 4 million did a better job bringing in subscribers?

Its clear the real way to get subscribers is not letting people play games like CoD and BF online for free.

And this is why we love competition but some people just wanna take sides.

Main reason why I pay for neither: pay to play online.

Sad, but I am poor and have been playing League of Legends since last April and still have not spent a penny.

I have been happy with games with gold. The games have been good and I enjoy everyone I have downloaded.

Fusioncode said:
The sad thing is you're right, but why would you want to be?

MS has been heavily criticized for not bringing "free games" at par with PS+. Anytime new games are announced for Games With Gold, an avalanche of people shit on them.

So why hasn't MS really attempted to compete? Because they always knew free games doesen't bring in a significant number of subscribers. Atleast it hasn't yet.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

this month I got Outlast on P.S.4 and metro list light + bioshock infinite on P.S.3, it's clearly obvious plus is worth it if your a gamer!!!

online pay wall. well I guess people have no choice but to say simple as cut at least there's free games to play each month

the only reason people paid for live is because there was no other choice but to do so, had simple online play been free subs would dwindle

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Mr Puggsly said:

I'm curious to see if PS+'s larger userbase impacts the software publishers choose to make available. Also, will Sony work as hard to get so many free games given it brought in few subscribers. Hence, there is no real incentive for Sony to keep bringing great games. The masses care more about playing CoD online then getting Bioshock Infinite for "free."

That is a good point. They can record downloads so can do it that way but it must be a case of per download you get a certain amount of the users subscription. 50p or something over the year per download, they know who's downloaded it too, so can't just keep downloading and deleting.

At the moment it is extra money for the developer/publisher. If there are/were only 2 million subscribers this might not have been much but extra sales on like DLC would help. 

Now lets say that there are 20 million subscribers in 4 years time. DMC 2 is released on it 12 months after it was out in the shops so sales have slumped, consumers are more interested in FFXV or KH3 (this is optimistic :P). It's only there for a month but it may well be a potential extra £10million. Potential £10 million is not much on the overall figures Sony will be bringing in, so offsetting some of the subscription fee for these games can easily be done but it also means the developer might get extra income to keep them afloat.

Did that make sense? Basically, whatever deal Sony currently have, whether 2 million subs or 20 million, the more subs the better for the games on offer. Of course this is based on how they do the deals with publishers/developers.

Hmm, pie.

Having more subs will not weaken sony's bargaining position, it'll just scale up nicely.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

Skeeuk said:

the only reason people paid for live is because there was no other choice but to do so, had simple online play been free subs would dwindle

Yeah, nobody is arguing otherwise. Now that Sony fans are put in the same situation, they're paying as well and likely with little or no interest in the free games.

The average consumer was likely unaware of the new pay wall. Sony made no effort to let people know about it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

A forced service is bigger than an optional service. Shocking.

Plus, when you argue that Sony is able to offer more and better games because it has to pay little for a small amount of subscribers, don't you think that with the increased amount of subscribers the money that comes in will be bigger as well? Nothing will change. You can do better than this.