By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Games With Gold doesn't bother competing with PS+...

Tagged games:

sales2099 said:

They don't understand because they stole our culture, but they will.

You subscribe because you have to, not because there are incentives. That said I do like Games for Gold better. The games are actually yours to keep and 2 games per month is more then enough....I don't want so many games that I don't know what to do with them.

Free games have multiple values to Sony/Publishers/Developers.

• Advertising of a Series, usually a few months before a new entry arrives. This was done for several titles since PS+ started the whole thing. I know that because of plus, I will assuredly buy a sequel to Sleeping Dogs if it happens, a game I would have never purchased on my own as I'm not usually into the GTA formula.
  • Encourages you to buy more games around release. This is because if Game A becomes available on Plus but you own it on disc, you can then sell that game to Gamestop and put it towards the next big game. I've done this for quite a few PS3/Vita titles. This is effectively speeding up the Buy-Trade-Buy process which lessens the hurt developers get from the used game market.
  • Developers get some kind of payment for their games being available on plus. I think they make a guestimate percentage of how many copies they would have sold regardless, this is garanteed profit in their hands right now, which works really well for indie titles that might have struggled to sell with no advertising budgets
And more good games is always better than few good games. Its not like PS+ is giving away crap stuff, these are AAA titles and hot topic indies we are getting. Owning them out right versus only as long as you are a member is irrelevant when the avg person sells their games after a month or two. You also don't have to download them all at once, you just add up a few of them that you would like to play for the time being, then delete when you are done.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
Callum_Alexander said:
cmay227 said:
Callum_Alexander said:
cmay227 said:
Callum_Alexander said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Free games apparently brings in few subscribers, even if they're stellar.

According to Sony, PS+ subscribers tripled since the launch of PS4. The PS3 and Vita have a massive userbase combined. Yet a console with a userbase around 4 million did a better job bringing in subscribers?

Its clear the real way to get subscribers is not letting people play games like CoD and BF online for free.

Yes, but the stellar, free games KEEP the subscribers. Especially when you directly compare the value proposition offered by the competition. I had an Xbox last generation and grew tired of paying to use my own internet, especially when services such as Netflix were locked behind that pay-wall. I switched to PlayStation 4 because of the value PlayStation+ offers. Looking back at Xbox now I wonder why on earth I paid so much for so little, and I would certainly never go back to doing that!

Edit: Also, I bet Xbox lost more users than PlayStation last generation because of the reasons stated above. It would be very difficult to switch from PlayStation to Xbox, especially when Bioshock Infinite and Metro: Last Light are being offered as an incentive to stay.

I'll give you Bioshock but metro is a crappy game. and PS3's online is not the greatest either. So to me...it's like leaving audi for buick because buick gives me free oil changes.

Metro: Last Light was reviewed very well so I guess it just isn't your type of game. I haven't played it myself, but the reviews say good things so I will just have to trust them.

Regarding online play I have actually had less problems playing online since switching to PlayStation, although that is probably due to the fact that I have changed internet service providers rather than the PlayStation Network being more stable.

People treat Xbox Live Gold like it is flawless, but it isn't. Party chat always used to kick people out of the party and disconnect, and people are currently having issues with The Wolf Among Us season pass. The latest PlayStation update locked some people out of the PlayStation store for a short amount of time before it was fixed. There are issues on all services.

I tried ti like metro just didn't feel it was a very well made game. I agree all online services have their issues, just had way better experience with live. I have PS+ and it has gotten better but i still prefer live over it. Maybe I'm just stuck in my ways since I've been on live for over 10 yrs. Have had PS+ for about 2 and a half. and just don't enjoy it as much.

That's fair, the familiar is always nice. I went through a period of insecurity when I realised I was switching from Xbox 360 to PlayStation 4. I didn't care about my gamerscore or if I was making the right chouce etcetera, I was just worried about it because of the unfamiliarity of the PlayStation platform. 

Felt the same way when i got my first PS3. I've gotten use to it over the years, The PS4 is better on the online front then what it was, but still find myself prefering the Xbox one. I gotta work with both and try to not to be to biased, just like the Live system better. Guess it has alot to do with interface as well.

cmay227 said:

Not even close to the experience live gave. Try again.

But it was the answer to your question. Hate the truth huh?

Hmm, pie.

Well they won't be having this problem this gen, with the superior console and superior online infrastructure, Sony is set for a new high!!!

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Sure, the OP is correct:

When it comes to milking your customers, it's way more effective to even charge for basic, essential features than only charging for more or less unnecessary, "luxury" features like great games, as Sony did last generation.

What's funny though is that certain Xbox fans actually seem to be almost proud of being milked by their favourite video console manufacturer.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
cmay227 said:

Not even close to the experience live gave. Try again.

But it was the answer to your question. Hate the truth huh?

So your comparing a dial-up ,crappy, no support driven online service in europe to Xbox live? And in the US 'sega/net' as it was know, which lasted only 11 months to Xbox live? Like i said try again!

ArnoldRimmer said:

What's funny though is that certain Xbox fans actually seem to be almost proud of being milked by their favourite video console manufacturer.

I am more than happy to be "milked" by M$ knowing when I go to play a game that is years old with a friend the servers will still be up and running because of their cloud service. I tried to play Homefront a few months back with a friend and was upset to find out the servers had been shut down. 

Make it So.

I had a big laugh at some comments on this thread.
I hope every Gold members keep being happy with the games they get for gold.
I only have 3 Months on PS+ and I had for free: Uncharted 3, Borderland 2, Gravity Rush, Uncharted Vita, Outlast, Resogun. Devil May Cry, Bioshock Infinite.
Bought both Dissidia games for less than $20.

sales2099 said:

They don't understand because they stole our culture, but they will.

You subscribe because you have to, not because there are incentives. That said I do like Games for Gold better. The games are actually yours to keep and 2 games per month is more then enough....I don't want so many games that I don't know what to do with them.

Do what with old-ass games? Oh yeah, NOTHING, since I have already played them or don't give two shits about them. And who says I may even like these miserable 2 games? What If I don't like one of them, what if I don't care for any of them? The more the merrier, in the end, it's the same for me, I need to be paying to get something, and I'm getting a lot less even if it's "permanent" with Xbox Live. I have no use for permanent crap like "DEFENSE GRID" either.

riecsou said:
I had a big laugh at some comments on this thread.
I hope every Gold members keep being happy with the games they get for gold.
I only have 3 Months on PS+ and I had for free: Uncharted 3, Borderland 2, Gravity Rush, Uncharted Vita, Outlast, Resogun. Devil May Cry, Bioshock Infinite.
Bought both Dissidia games for less than $20.

PS+ is fabulous, but they have been giving those free games to a relatively small number of subscribers. Maybe 1 or 2 million?

The games MS has been giving were available to maybe 20+ million users. You even had access to the free games if you used a Live Gold pass for a few days of access.

I'm curious to see if PS+'s larger userbase impacts the software publishers choose to make available. Also, will Sony work as hard to get so many free games given it brought in few subscribers. Hence, there is no real incentive for Sony to keep bringing great games. The masses care more about playing CoD online then getting Bioshock Infinite for "free."

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)