By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Games With Gold doesn't bother competing with PS+...

Tagged games:

The Fury said:

Are Activision, EA, Rockstar, 2K and other 3rd party developers getting money from the subscription services?

I'd say yes, it's pretty obvious they are, although the details are possibly negotiated on a per title basis. (exclusives/console exclusives get a better deal?)

Likewise, the devs behind the free games are getting money somehow, othewise they wouldn't be offering them free.

Around the Network

I didn't read anything but the OP so it might have already been mentioned but the only reason PS Plus DOES offer free games is because Sony needed some of that online subscription money and nobody would have been happy if they suddenly started charging for what was already free. If they weren't trying to compete with Live, their service (both free and paid) wouldn't have been nearly as feature packed.

The Fury said:

Are Activision, EA, Rockstar, 2K and other 3rd party developers getting money from the subscription services? Gold and PS+ require you to pay to use MS and Sony stuff but what of the game makers themselves and their servers? I remember there being an argument between Activision and MS once, Activision claimed that as they are providing a huge number of the subscribers because of Call of Duty they should get some of the money for using it as MS don't host the servers, Activision do. I never did find out how this was resolved.

I guess I'm stuck in a mentality that as part of buying a £40 game, it includes the rights to play that game whether it's single player or multiplayer, so it includes the rights to play for on their servers as well. Much to the reason I was against 'Online Pass' as I felt that the right to play online went with the game not the person, so if they sold it second hand, whoever the new owner is, also go the original owners right to play it online (I mean it's not like the original owner is on there anymore). 

The value of a £40 game isn't the same anymore. £40 in the PS1 could get you a puzzle game, IQ or Devil Dice would have been RRP, games that now people wouldn't put for more than £10 on download only probably. Like I said before, we expect more but expect to pay less.

One of my biggest gripes from last gen was Mass Effect 3. If you loved the ME series, had it one Xbox but didn't pay for Gold, you could not increase Galatic Readiness without paying more. They essentially removed an entire section of the single player game. This was a gaming sin as far as I was concerned. EA payed mind you for other things wrong with that game but that I thought was bigger than anything. Gold required to play a single player game, disgusting.

Sorry, if I've diverted your thread, I went off on one.

Activision basically said they were getting small piece of Xbox Live money. I recall Sony fans getting angry about that and saying Activision is taking money from people not playing CoD. Considering they are big reason people subscribe, it seems fair to give them a piece of Xbox Live money.

EA operates their own servers and I think we can all agree it would be best if they didn't.

Anyhow, from my understanding publishers benefit financially from not having to operate their own servers on Xbox Live. I'm not sure who else is getting money directly from MS.

I completed ME3, but I never played it online so I don't know anything about "galactic readiness." I'll just say single player and online play should be kept seperate.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Eh, at least it adds value to Xbox Live Gold.

Agreed, its still 24 free decent and great games a year. I fell in love with Dead Rising 2 thanks to Games for Gold.

Furthermore, I assume it cost a lot more for MS to offer free games because it has a much larger number of Gold subscribers than Sony has PS+ subscribers.

wow amazing point never looked at it that way

You're right that free games aren't the draw for PS+. The only way to make people pay for it is to require it for online play. Since online is free for PS3, nobody really cared even if the free games were available.

However, the only reason people are now saying that PS+ is better than XBL is because if we have to pay in order to play online, then that isn't a bullet point for why one service is better than the other. You have to look elsewhere: the games. And PS+ compensates you way better than XBL.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I didn't read anything but the OP so it might have already been mentioned but the only reason PS Plus DOES offer free games is because Sony needed some of that online subscription money and nobody would have been happy if they suddenly started charging for what was already free. If they weren't trying to compete with Live, their service (both free and paid) wouldn't have been nearly as feature packed.

Agreed, when PS+ was announced i said it was a stepping stone that would lead to paying for online play. Obviously some people were reluctant to believe it.

However, I'm surprised the amount of subscribers they had before PS4 launched was so small.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

The only reason XB Live Gold has so many subscribers is because its needed to play COD.
Face it, XBox is a COD box.
If the next COD is announced as a FREE to play game, XB Live Gold subs would drop faster than a sack of potatoes.

If Sony can get two million PS+ users before locking online behind a paywall, it means that the service is good enough for users to pay $50 a year only knowing 13 games you'd receive for free, not knowing if anything in the future is going to be worth your while or not.

Another thing is I don't know how many people I've seen ask about Playstation Plus running out are you able to keep the free games. It's not that difficult to comprehend yet you have to repeatedly explain it to people over and over again before they get it.

Those are the main reasons. Not knowing what you're getting free in the future and so many people not being able to comprehend the concept behind it all.

The thing is, with the forced PS+ due to online. Lets say some people just decide they don't want to play the online any longer, because not everyone plays CoD, etc, not everyone stays playing the same online games over and over again. If those people want to drop the service and they've been enjoying the free games offered each month, then they might keep the service for that reason alone, to make sure they keep building up their library of free games. I've known some Xbox fans to not resubscribe for a few months then pick it up later, whether it was due to financial issues, etc. You don't resubscribe for a few months on PS+ you're missing out on three games for PS4 and many for the PS3 and Vita. If it's because they don't have the money, that might get them to just pay the overpriced $10 for one month until they can get more money for a full year.

Anyways, the more people that get a PS4, the more people that will talk about the free games per month.

mutantsushi said:
The Fury said:

Are Activision, EA, Rockstar, 2K and other 3rd party developers getting money from the subscription services?

I'd say yes, it's pretty obvious they are, although the details are possibly negotiated on a per title basis. (exclusives/console exclusives get a better deal?)

Likewise, the devs behind the free games are getting money somehow, othewise they wouldn't be offering them free.

There are a lot of online games now but I understand your point, it would be hard to really tell.

The PS+ Free games are obviously compensated else they'd never let them have them so early. Borderlands 2 is currently on PS+ in the EU, their GOTY edition only just came out, sales from that would be hurt by it being on PS+, in other words it might have been as high as £2 per download or something. Who knows.

Hmm, pie.

While OP point is oddly true, do you not think that now that those subscribers have paid to be able to play their 8th gen console shooter online, that they didn't also make use of the free-games?

I mean it seems everybody on PS4 has played Resogun. Must be the most commonly played game on the system.

Anyway, do you think now the free games will be part of their value compare when comparing PSN with PS+ vs. XBL Gold?