By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Games With Gold doesn't bother competing with PS+...

Tagged games:

Callum_Alexander said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Free games apparently brings in few subscribers, even if they're stellar.

According to Sony, PS+ subscribers tripled since the launch of PS4. The PS3 and Vita have a massive userbase combined. Yet a console with a userbase around 4 million did a better job bringing in subscribers?

Its clear the real way to get subscribers is not letting people play games like CoD and BF online for free.

Yes, but the stellar, free games KEEP the subscribers. Especially when you directly compare the value proposition offered by the competition. I had an Xbox last generation and grew tired of paying to use my own internet, especially when services such as Netflix were locked behind that pay-wall. I switched to PlayStation 4 because of the value PlayStation+ offers. Looking back at Xbox now I wonder why on earth I paid so much for so little, and I would certainly never go back to doing that!

Edit: Also, I bet Xbox lost more users than PlayStation last generation because of the reasons stated above. It would be very difficult to switch from PlayStation to Xbox, especially when Bioshock Infinite and Metro: Last Light are being offered as an incentive to stay.

I'll give you Bioshock but metro is a crappy game. and PS3's online is not the greatest either. So to me...it's like leaving audi for buick because buick gives me free oil changes.

Around the Network

They don't understand because they stole our culture, but they will.

You subscribe because you have to, not because there are incentives. That said I do like Games for Gold better. The games are actually yours to keep and 2 games per month is more then enough....I don't want so many games that I don't know what to do with them.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

cmay227 said:

Please name online gamining services like live on consoles in 2003, that didn't charge for their online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamarena

Hmm, pie.

cmay227 said:

metro is a crappy game.

GET OUT OF HERE.

cmay227 said:
Callum_Alexander said:
Mr Puggsly said:

According to Sony, PS+ subscribers tripled since the launch of PS4. The PS3 and Vita have a massive userbase combined. Yet a console with a userbase around 4 million did a better job bringing in subscribers?

Its clear the real way to get subscribers is not letting people play games like CoD and BF online for free.

Yes, but the stellar, free games KEEP the subscribers. Especially when you directly compare the value proposition offered by the competition. I had an Xbox last generation and grew tired of paying to use my own internet, especially when services such as Netflix were locked behind that pay-wall. I switched to PlayStation 4 because of the value PlayStation+ offers. Looking back at Xbox now I wonder why on earth I paid so much for so little, and I would certainly never go back to doing that!

Edit: Also, I bet Xbox lost more users than PlayStation last generation because of the reasons stated above. It would be very difficult to switch from PlayStation to Xbox, especially when Bioshock Infinite and Metro: Last Light are being offered as an incentive to stay.

I'll give you Bioshock but metro is a crappy game. and PS3's online is not the greatest either. So to me...it's like leaving audi for buick because buick gives me free oil changes.

Metro: Last Light was reviewed very well so I guess it just isn't your type of game. I haven't played it myself, but the reviews say good things so I will just have to trust them.

Regarding online play I have actually had less problems playing online since switching to PlayStation, although that is probably due to the fact that I have changed internet service providers rather than the PlayStation Network being more stable.

People treat Xbox Live Gold like it is flawless, but it isn't. Party chat always used to kick people out of the party and disconnect, and people are currently having issues with The Wolf Among Us season pass. The latest PlayStation update locked some people out of the PlayStation store for a short amount of time before it was fixed. There are issues on all services.

Around the Network

Because it can't

Callum_Alexander said:
cmay227 said:
Callum_Alexander said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Metro: Last Light was reviewed very well so I guess it just isn't your type of game. I haven't played it myself, but the reviews say good things so I will just have to trust them.

Regarding online play I have actually had less problems playing online since switching to PlayStation, although that is probably due to the fact that I have changed internet service providers rather than the PlayStation Network being more stable.

People treat Xbox Live Gold like it is flawless, but it isn't. Party chat always used to kick people out of the party and disconnect, and people are currently having issues with The Wolf Among Us season pass. The latest PlayStation update locked some people out of the PlayStation store for a short amount of time before it was fixed. There are issues on all services.

I tried ti like metro just didn't feel it was a very well made game. I agree all online services have their issues, just had way better experience with live. I have PS+ and it has gotten better but i still prefer live over it. Maybe I'm just stuck in my ways since I've been on live for over 10 yrs. Have had PS+ for about 2 and a half. and just don't enjoy it as much.

The Fury said:
cmay227 said:

Please name online gamining services like live on consoles in 2003, that didn't charge for their online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamarena

Not even close to the experience live gave. Try again.

I don't get how you are coming to that conclusion. PS+ subscribers increased 2million since PS4 launch, did you ever think that maybe many of them already have PS+, or were just re-uping their membership? From the article I read on it they don't say these were "new" subscribers, as in their first time. Rather that there simply were 2million subscribers after launch.

My PS+ always expires in November. This year I let it run completely out because there were multiple sales on Plus at the end of the month (Plus for like $30 Black Friday at Gamestop).

I'm not sure were they stand now, but last I heard Live and Plus subscribers were about equal, and this was before Plus being mandatory for online. I would say Sales and Free games do a better job at convincing people.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

cmay227 said:
Callum_Alexander said:
cmay227 said:
Callum_Alexander said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I tried ti like metro just didn't feel it was a very well made game. I agree all online services have their issues, just had way better experience with live. I have PS+ and it has gotten better but i still prefer live over it. Maybe I'm just stuck in my ways since I've been on live for over 10 yrs. Have had PS+ for about 2 and a half. and just don't enjoy it as much.

That's fair, the familiar is always nice. I went through a period of insecurity when I realised I was switching from Xbox 360 to PlayStation 4. I didn't care about my gamerscore or if I was making the right chouce etcetera, I was just worried about it because of the unfamiliarity of the PlayStation platform.