By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo talking about the Wii U successor scare me from buying one?

Ninricken said:

They started the work on the Wii U after the release of the Wii. Of course they are working on something new but if you want to play all the (good) upcoming games and the games which already released you have enough to do, not including hours of Miiverse activity.

I understand they are working on something new but you typically do not hear about it like we have heard about the Wii U successor. So in short I have nothing to worry about?

Around the Network

Thanks guys, still getting a Wii U. =)

I just want the Wii U to last me for a while before Nintendo stops supporting it

rolltide101x said:
Ninricken said:

They started the work on the Wii U after the release of the Wii. Of course they are working on something new but if you want to play all the (good) upcoming games and the games which already released you have enough to do, not including hours of Miiverse activity.

I understand they are working on something new but you typically do not hear about it like we have heard about the Wii U successor. So in short I have nothing to worry about?

Only reason why they are vaguely discussing their next system is probably to chill out their stock holders.  Constant calls from the media to go third party, exit the hardware industry, go mobile, etc made them discuss that they are not abandoning the console market.  They barely have talked about the next system except that it will be more unified which should have been a given considering they combined their home/hand held R&D division recently.  What else have they shared besides that?  They are merely discussing long term strategies instead of some quick cash in that a lot of so called analyst want which would probably hurt Nintendo in the long term.  They are releasing MK and Smash this year.  They will support the Wii U for at least 3 more years pumping out quality first party games. 

I wonder how many times we will see this subject come up.

Two for now: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=177667

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

sethnintendo said:
rolltide101x said:
Ninricken said:

Only reason why they are vaguely discussing their next system is probably to chill out their stock holders.  Constant calls from the media to go third party, exit the hardware industry, go mobile, etc made them discuss that they are not abandoning the console market.  They barely have talked about the next system except that it will be more unified which should have been a given considering they combined their home/hand held R&D division recently.  What else have they shared besides that?  They are merely discussing long term strategies instead of some quick cash in that a lot of so called analyst want which would probably hurt Nintendo in the long term.  They are releasing MK and Smash this year.  They will support the Wii U for at least 3 more years pumping out quality first party games. 

Nothing but you typically do not hear about a console until it is pretty much ready. But as I said I just wanted to ask you guys this (who are more intelligent in such matters). As I said I am still getting a Wii U soon.

Around the Network
TomaTito said:

I wonder how many times we will see this subject come up.

Two for now: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=177667

That is exactly how I felt. The fear should be squashed, it legitimately scared me to buy a Wii U

rolltide101x said:

I have heard a good bit of news lately about the 3DS and Wii U successor Should this scare me from buying one? I do not want to get a Wii U if it is not going to be Nintendo's latest home console for a few years atleast. What do you guys think?

Stuff like this is concerning me about getting a Wii U (I am just waiting for my tax refund)

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-wants-their-platforms-to-be-more-like-ios-1516045355

Is Nintendo just talking about their next consoles way to early or are they getting their replacements ready?

They talked about a making the system that is now wii u a year or two after the wii was out. It is known they start the concepts of a new system right after the one they made is released. And seriously this is 2013. A new ipad comes out every year. And Sony and Microsoft are probably going to have a slim version of the next gen consoles next year or the year after that. 

No, it should not scare you and your reasoning is rather narrow minded,

You are panicking for nothing, every company starts developing their next console a year or two after they release/launch their current console, Nintendo won't abandon Wii U and they are not Sega to begin with.

Wii U will be supported for at least another 4 years.

Expect 3DS successor in 2017 or 2018 and expect Wii U's successor in 2018 or 2019.

I think the same, it's weird they're talking about the futur as a solution when we need them now... It's like if they wanted the Wii U to be a gamecube 2.0 with short life cycle ,  i see the successor coming in 3 years

So like the gamecube, i'll wait for the biggest cut price to take a new Wii U after the successor announcement.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

siavm said:
rolltide101x said:

I have heard a good bit of news lately about the 3DS and Wii U successor Should this scare me from buying one? I do not want to get a Wii U if it is not going to be Nintendo's latest home console for a few years atleast. What do you guys think?

Stuff like this is concerning me about getting a Wii U (I am just waiting for my tax refund)

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-wants-their-platforms-to-be-more-like-ios-1516045355

Is Nintendo just talking about their next consoles way to early or are they getting their replacements ready?

They talked about a making the system that is now wii u a year or two after the wii was out. It is known they start the concepts of a new system right after the one they made is released. And seriously this is 2013. A new ipad comes out every year. And Sony and Microsoft are probably going to have a slim version of the next gen consoles next year or the year after that. 

Show me where they talked about the Wii successor pre 2009 and I will feel better.

I do not buy anything Apple and do not upgrade devices that often.

Also there is a huge difference in a company making a slim version of a console and  the replacement for that console