By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
weaveworld said:
On the subject matter though, I haven't had a lot of American beers except for a couple of flying dogs.

Usually I start out deciding what 'sort' of beer I am in the mood for; Blondes, Brunettes (Amber), Ale, Bok, seasonly crafted local brewery stuff...
Once I figured out my taste of the day I try out different brands starting with a low percentage of alcohol to end with the higher percentages.
If I am not done at that point, and still crave for some beer, I often end up ordering Duvel. That really hits the spot at the end of an evening.

Beer, it's an acquired taste. More diverse than wine at least.

That is something i only do when im at a tastery or special beer cafe

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

An interesting bunch of figures. It's quite odd to think though, go into a local free licence pub/bar and the lagers are all generic stuff but all 'foreign', Becks, Stella, Fosters, Staropramen whatever. Nearly all are brewed in the UK, which explains why import is quite low. It's easier and better to get the licence and brew it in the country instead of importing.

Although, nearly all ales are mostly UK breweries in the same pubs. I don't drink those much though.

Hmm, pie.

kirby007 said:
weaveworld said:
On the subject matter though, I haven't had a lot of American beers except for a couple of flying dogs.

Usually I start out deciding what 'sort' of beer I am in the mood for; Blondes, Brunettes (Amber), Ale, Bok, seasonly crafted local brewery stuff...
Once I figured out my taste of the day I try out different brands starting with a low percentage of alcohol to end with the higher percentages.
If I am not done at that point, and still crave for some beer, I often end up ordering Duvel. That really hits the spot at the end of an evening.

Beer, it's an acquired taste. More diverse than wine at least.

That is something i only do when im at a tastery or special beer cafe

Luckily there are a few of those cafe's around. That's often my night out, drinking special beers with friends and having some laughs. No more clubbing for this old man.

The beer menu's are also a good and easy way to make it through the evening. Works the same way but you don't have to chose. I often order those when there's an interesting CL soccer match. Good buzz after 4 beers.

weaveworld said:
DerNebel said:

Oettinger is definitely cheaper, but I want to at least have some standard :D

But yeah, there are cheaper beers that are alright too, I just like Sternburg and Wicküler more and they aren't that much more expensive.

Due to circumstances I am trying to figure out what cheap beer suits me best and it definitely is NOT oettinger. Yuck.

Yeah, Oettinger has its repuation of being a "Pennerbrause" (literally translated "bum-soda") for a reason, you only drink it if you really have to...

HigHurtenflurst said:
RenCutypoison said:
To add a fact to the thread :

Belgium now has more than 8700 different beers (including limited and seasonal), = 8 beers for 100 citizens.

Is that bad math, a typing error or have I just misunderstood? (8 for 100 to me is seems like a ratio, but 8700 goes into 11million over 1200 times.... so it's nearer 8 beers for 10,000 citizens

Bad math for me, probably mistyped.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
HigHurtenflurst said:
RenCutypoison said:
To add a fact to the thread :

Belgium now has more than 8700 different beers (including limited and seasonal), = 8 beers for 100 citizens.

Is that bad math, a typing error or have I just misunderstood? (8 for 100 to me is seems like a ratio, but 8700 goes into 11million over 1200 times.... so it's nearer 8 beers for 10,000 citizens

I think he may have had a few beers

Worse is that it's true =(

I actually work at a bar where we have 350 different bottled beers and 100+ taps.
Mainstream beer is crap, and that's because the mainstream buyer is cheap college kids, who don't care what the beer tastes like, as long as it helps them get laid.

for palm and grolsch one or 2 beers are great but no more then that

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Well, I'm a cheap college student but Corona isn't bad IMO. I also like me some Guinness Draught.

Samuel Adams, that is all. Don't f around.