By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
DerNebel said:
Being a poor university student I have to mostly settle for the cheap beers I can get in the local supermarket unfortunately, of those I think Sternburg and Wicküler/Wickueler give you the most bang for your buck.

Though I probably shouldn't complain, from what I've heard beer is pretty damn cheap here, compared to other countries. :D

i would say oettinger is cheaper, or the pet beers from aldi/lidl/penny...

and they arnt so bad compared with the most midrange beer outside of germany

Around the Network
generic-user-1 said:
DerNebel said:
Being a poor university student I have to mostly settle for the cheap beers I can get in the local supermarket unfortunately, of those I think Sternburg and Wicküler/Wickueler give you the most bang for your buck.

Though I probably shouldn't complain, from what I've heard beer is pretty damn cheap here, compared to other countries. :D

Oettinger is definitely cheaper, but I want to at least have some standard :D

But yeah, there are cheaper beers that are alright too, I just like Sternburg and Wicküler more and they aren't that much more expensive.

quite cheap beer but hardly available anymore
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/baron-pils-netherlands/33122/

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I've noticed that all the mainstream beer taste terrible and that the lesser known brands are pretty amazing.

CladInShadows said:
yo_john117 said:
CladInShadows said:

There are lots of great American beers.  Just don't go looking for greatness among the mass produced popular lagers like Bud, Miller, Coors, or Canadian stuff like Molson or Labatt.  The United States are actually among the top producers of great craft beer.  And it's not hard to find anymore.  Rogue is an especially great producer of varied craft beer in the US.

Another pretty great beer maker is Leinenkugel (I think it's made in Wisconsin). Never heard of Rogue before, what are some of their best stuff?

Rogue is from Portland, Oregon, I believe.  I'm in Canada, so I don't have access to all of them, but I have personally tried the Chipotle Ale, Hazelnut Brown, Mocha Porter, Double Chocolate Stout, Voodoo Bacon/Maple, Voodoo Chocolate Peanut Butter, Morimoto Hazelnut, and Yellow Snow IPA.  The only one I didn't really like was the Chipotle Ale.

For those not familiar with the styles, none of those flavours are sweet in any way whatsoever. They have dozens of flavours I have yet to try.

http://rogue.com/beers/beers.php

Cool, thanks. I'll have to see if they sell them around here or not.

Around the Network

Reading the op makes me want to have a beer but I best go to bed sigh.

DerNebel said:
generic-user-1 said:
DerNebel said:

Oettinger is definitely cheaper, but I want to at least have some standard :D

But yeah, there are cheaper beers that are alright too, I just like Sternburg and Wicküler more and they aren't that much more expensive.

Due to circumstances I am trying to figure out what cheap beer suits me best and it definitely is NOT oettinger. Yuck.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
I just hate how terrible beer tastes the first time you drink it... It literally tastes like ass and continues to tastes like ass until the 4th or 10th drink... Its like if I were to do anal with my tongue and the chick didn't clean her ass, thats how bad a lot of them taste...

Cool little facts thread though

OH LAWD!

A very special beer I like myself is Chaams tarwe ( http://www.bierdistributie.bierboom.nl/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=315)

not sure if its available outside the netherlands tho

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

On the subject matter though, I haven't had a lot of American beers except for a couple of flying dogs.

Usually I start out deciding what 'sort' of beer I am in the mood for; Blondes, Brunettes (Amber), Ale, Bok, seasonly crafted local brewery stuff...
Once I figured out my taste of the day I try out different brands starting with a low percentage of alcohol to end with the higher percentages.
If I am not done at that point, and still crave for some beer, I often end up ordering Duvel. That really hits the spot at the end of an evening.

Beer, it's an acquired taste. More diverse than wine at least.