By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Retrospectative trailer (spoilers)

Areym said:
Anfebious said:

I wish I could be excited but sadly FF XIII is a mediocre JRPG.

Too bad this is about the story though, it sucked so much that I stoped caring about it at the middle of the game. Final Fantasy XIII with a turn based system would be cool though!

FF XIII battle system wasn't so bad but I felt there was a lot less control. Turn based is the way to go for the Final Fantasy series.

I have to disagree. I am a huge JRPG fan and I love simply action-oriented combat. Turn based feels so inadequate. Why shouldn't I have the option to block, dodge or counter any and all damage if my skill is up to par? Why should we have to stand there and get bludgeon by some lv 3 gnome and his 5 wolves just cause "it's their turn." It just seems silly and outdated.

Granted, I can get through an RPG with turn-based combat but it pulls me out of the "immersion" when I have to wait for the enemy to beat me over the head before I can retaliate, which makes me that much more excited for FFXV taking an approach similar to Kingdom Hearts' combat.

I also like action-oriented combat in my JRPG's! But I like it when it's well done. Sadly FF XIII is not an example of that. I agree the concept of turn based combat is outdated but I can't imagine Final Fantasy not being a turn based game. Hope FF XV proves me wrong but I doubt it.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Anfebious said:
Too bad this is about the story though, it sucked so much that I stoped caring about it at the middle of the game. Final Fantasy XIII with a turn based system would be a lot more bearable though!

It's amazing how much more sense the story makes when told this way. Honestly, I platinumed both XIII and XIII-2 and couldn't give you a synopsis if my life depended on it. "Blah blah sister blah blah Fal'Cie blah blah dead."

Pffffff AHAHAHAHAHAHA xDDDD

Areym said:

Yeah, i got it now and it's all good. I don't mind being put in my place when I get something off. 

I'm glad you enjoyed it and i'm sad to hear you have lost hope on this trilogy. I was about 14 hours into FFXIII-2 and I was finally getting into the groove of it, but I had to give it back to gamefly because i have had it for liek 3 weeks and was basically pissing away money.

I have FF13-2, payed 9 bucks on PSN Plus, my PS3 HDD has 750 GB, so I used to buy every cheap game they had. But man, it is so painful to play that, the story is ridiculous, but the worst part is by far the battle system =/

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Anfebious said:
Areym said:
Anfebious said:

I wish I could be excited but sadly FF XIII is a mediocre JRPG.

Too bad this is about the story though, it sucked so much that I stoped caring about it at the middle of the game. Final Fantasy XIII with a turn based system would be cool though!

FF XIII battle system wasn't so bad but I felt there was a lot less control. Turn based is the way to go for the Final Fantasy series.

I have to disagree. I am a huge JRPG fan and I love simply action-oriented combat. Turn based feels so inadequate. Why shouldn't I have the option to block, dodge or counter any and all damage if my skill is up to par? Why should we have to stand there and get bludgeon by some lv 3 gnome and his 5 wolves just cause "it's their turn." It just seems silly and outdated.

Granted, I can get through an RPG with turn-based combat but it pulls me out of the "immersion" when I have to wait for the enemy to beat me over the head before I can retaliate, which makes me that much more excited for FFXV taking an approach similar to Kingdom Hearts' combat.

I also like action-oriented combat in my JRPG's! But I like it when it's well done. Sadly FF XIII is not an example of that. I agree the concept of turn based combat is outdated but I can't imagine Final Fantasy not being a turn based game. Hope FF XV proves me wrong but I doubt it.

Kingdom Hearts did a good job at it, although it wasn't very deep and repetitive at numerous times. I have just started Tales of Xillia and I love the combat already, it is fast paced, frantic and well executed. Ni No Kuni is a nice mix of both in a sense. 

Turn based have their place obvsiously, I don't think they should be done away with completely but I like that JRPGs are becoming more action-oriented, without losing their charm or strategy.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

WagnerPaiva said:
Areym said:

Yeah, i got it now and it's all good. I don't mind being put in my place when I get something off. 

I'm glad you enjoyed it and i'm sad to hear you have lost hope on this trilogy. I was about 14 hours into FFXIII-2 and I was finally getting into the groove of it, but I had to give it back to gamefly because i have had it for liek 3 weeks and was basically pissing away money.

I have FF13-2, payed 9 bucks on PSN Plus, my PS3 HDD has 750 GB, so I used to buy every cheap game they had. But man, it is so painful to play that, the story is ridiculous, but the worst part is by far the battle system =/

Well, it wasn't that much more of a departure from the first game so I didn't mind. I did hate the fact that you only have two party members for the entire game, besides the interchangeable monster for a 3rd member.

I like RPGs with lots of party members and personalities because chances are, you will hate some members ( like my dislike of Vanille, Serah and that FUCKING MOOGLE) but love others (Snow, Sazh and....yeah)

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
Areym said:

( like my dislike of Vanille, Serah and that FUCKING MOOGLE) but love others (Snow, Sazh and....yeah)

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

IGN uploaded this trailer in Italian

no im not joking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgI_2dy1AZg

Chevinator123 said:
IGN uploaded this trailer in Italian

no im not joking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgI_2dy1AZg

Italian...

Opera is Italian.

FFVI has an opera scene.

This trailer is 16-bit.

FFVI is 16-bit.

FFVI remake confirmed!

Tagging for later viewing. I hope this will help me make sense of the FFXIII story (which was very poorly told).

Signature goes here!

Makes me wonder if they had made an FF like this on SNES and then XIII was the remake of that game how people would respond.

Cool video by the way.