By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Retrospectative trailer (spoilers)

Areym said:
Nem said:
Yeah... too bad that wasnt available a few years ago. Would've saved me some wasted hours.

The combat system is leagues better on this version though.

Not really. The FFXIII was not the best but certainly better than the regular turn-based. It's a little more fast-paced and way more strategic. It gave you a chance to react to your enemies attacks and counter appropietely. I was really impressed to see a sentinel-style class on it, to have a party member that actually tanks, not just some bum with a lot more HP than the others.

FFXIII gets too much hate for being a depature from the regular FF, much like the shit that FFXII (which just so happens to be my favorite FF) but sometimes you gotta spice it up, try something new, live mas, i don't know.

Yes really.

Strategyzing with a plethora of spells, skills and summons on every fight trumps over auto-attack fest with occasional paradigm change. Definitly not more strategic. You just needed to prepare 2-3 paradigms and you were done.

You forget something interesting though. The classic games have a defend command for everyone, or a class specific for it. It was there, you probably just didnt feel the need to use it, wich is very comparable to the use the guardian had during FFXIII.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Areym said:

Your face looks 8 bit....seriously though, i think i should have left out the 8 bit, i wasn't sure which was which. If a mod could fix that for me, that would be nice.

Ooh, burn!

You can edit it if you just click "edit thread".

Neeto, thanks broski. I uh...I don't make threads.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

I wish I could be excited but sadly FF XIII is a mediocre JRPG.

Too bad this is about the story though, it sucked so much that I stoped caring about it at the middle of the game. Final Fantasy XIII with a turn based system would be cool though!

FF XIII battle system wasn't so bad but I felt there was a lot less control. Turn based is the way to go for the Final Fantasy series.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:
Too bad this is about the story though, it sucked so much that I stoped caring about it at the middle of the game. Final Fantasy XIII with a turn based system would be a lot more bearable though!

It's amazing how much more sense the story makes when told this way. Honestly, I platinumed both XIII and XIII-2 and couldn't give you a synopsis if my life depended on it. "Blah blah sister blah blah Fal'Cie blah blah dead."

Nem said:
Areym said:
Nem said:
Yeah... too bad that wasnt available a few years ago. Would've saved me some wasted hours.

The combat system is leagues better on this version though.

Not really. The FFXIII was not the best but certainly better than the regular turn-based. It's a little more fast-paced and way more strategic. It gave you a chance to react to your enemies attacks and counter appropietely. I was really impressed to see a sentinel-style class on it, to have a party member that actually tanks, not just some bum with a lot more HP than the others.

FFXIII gets too much hate for being a depature from the regular FF, much like the shit that FFXII (which just so happens to be my favorite FF) but sometimes you gotta spice it up, try something new, live mas, i don't know.

Yes really.

Strategyzing with a plethora of spells, skills and summons on every fight trumps over auto-attack fest with occasional paradigm change. Definitly not more strategic. You just needed to prepare 2-3 paradigms and you were done.

Eh, quantity doesn't always equate to quality. Sure, having a long list of spells in your arsenal sounds nice in paper but to fight regular monster or grind, you just choose an AoE spell and call it a day. Some monster have resistances to specific spells but that's pretty much present in any RPG.

I do admit that the FFXIII is pretty spammy. Low tier, grinding monsters can be taken down in seconds with a few auto attacks, but that's also true for any RPG, but it was still nice to see that the paradigms actually had their own pros and cons and there was tons of combinations to be had, like the saboteur or the synergist. It wasn't just some guy or chick with some buffs, but it was a true support class that could not deal much damage (if any in case of the synergist) that focused strictly on debuffing enemies or debuffing allies. There was a lot of options to strengten the party, not just protect and barrier.

I guess we will agree to disagree. I have grown tired of the old turn based combat of the 90's and early 00's so I welcome any and all attempts at new combat.

Around the Network
Anfebious said:

Too bad this is about the story though, it sucked so much that I stoped caring about it at the middle of the game. Final Fantasy XIII with a turn based system would be cool though!

FF XIII battle system wasn't so bad but I felt there was a lot less control. Turn based is the way to go for the Final Fantasy series.

I have to disagree. I am a huge JRPG fan and I love simply action-oriented combat. Turn based feels so inadequate. Why shouldn't I have the option to block, dodge or counter any and all damage if my skill is up to par? Why should we have to stand there and get bludgeon by some lv 3 gnome and his 5 wolves just cause "it's their turn." It just seems silly and outdated.

Granted, I can get through an RPG with turn-based combat but it pulls me out of the "immersion" when I have to wait for the enemy to beat me over the head before I can retaliate, which makes me that much more excited for FFXV taking an approach similar to Kingdom Hearts' combat.

I wish this really was FFXIII... *tear

Areym said:
WagnerPaiva said:
8 Bits my ass, this looks like FF2 and FF3 on the SNES

Your face looks 8 bit....seriously though, i think i should have left out the 8 bit, i wasn't sure which was which. If a mod could fix that for me, that would be nice. My ignorance is showing :(

In the title? Would it work to click on Edit Thread? I use it to change titles and in my threads sometimes. Also, I was only kidding, I love you =D

By the way, amazing video, althought, I remain without faith on this game, since FF13-2 was so stupid that I could not even finish, and I did finish FF13 (wich was also not good).

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:
Areym said:
WagnerPaiva said:
8 Bits my ass, this looks like FF2 and FF3 on the SNES

Your face looks 8 bit....seriously though, i think i should have left out the 8 bit, i wasn't sure which was which. If a mod could fix that for me, that would be nice. My ignorance is showing :(

In the title? Would it work to click on Edit Thread? I use it to change titles and in my threads sometimes. Also, I was only kidding, I love you =D

By the way, amazing video, althought, I remain without faith on this game, since FF13-2 was so stupid that I could not even finish, and I did finish FF13 (wich was also not good).

Yeah, i got it now and it's all good. I don't mind being put in my place when I get something off. 

I'm glad you enjoyed it and i'm sad to hear you have lost hope on this trilogy. I was about 14 hours into FFXIII-2 and I was finally getting into the groove of it, but I had to give it back to gamefly because i have had it for liek 3 weeks and was basically pissing away money.

Anfebious said:

I do not get why people talk about turn base like it is a flaw and not a feature. I LOVE TURN BASE, I played Fallout 3 like a turn base game, when I could, it ads tension and strategy to the game. It could be even more strategic for all I care, like Valkyria Chronicles even. Let the FPS crowd play their call of Duty, why everything has to be fast paced nowdays? It is all payoff and no build up whatsoever, there is no tension, no mood, it sucks.

It is like Midnight Cowboy with Jon Voight, the movie. It was so tense, so beautiful, but, if they made it today it would have guns and explosions, and dinossaurs, and helicopters...

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.