By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Amazon's sub $300 console

Yikes, this will be a failure for Amazon especially at that price!

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

No chance in hell it will compete with PS4/X1. For that it needs potent hardware and exclusives. It will have neither.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

So much naivety from some peeps.

This is the console future. Just as I said it would be early 2013... you can search my history for the thread.

1) Nintendo failed to realize this and did not integrate with a really good wide ranging entertainment system (aka android store built into its eshop similar to amazon's store)

2) MSony both included a large multi-entertainment system. But to appease the core gamer Sony advertises is as an added value while MS focus on full entertainment correctly.

3) I specifically said Android/iOS "gaming" devices would come 2013/2014... and this does not equate to Ouya or tablets with sync'd game controllers.

This is about actual gaming devices, connected to TV that bring the full iOS/Android life to your TV PLUS the traditional console/pc games.

Amazon was first to really push Android tablets as they were smart. They waited for a real Android version intended for tablets (4.x+) and put out a good device that was available for a low-cost. Just beat Google themselves to the punch actually and its worked out well for them.

Amazon will do what Nintendo should have, however Amazon will do it a bit better. They won't have the Nintendo IPs of course, but they will have the full Android backbone plus they'll get the mass-market casual games like EA Sports, COD, etc.

This may not be big with core gaming crowd, but it very well could be massive (aka Wii) with some of that crowd and then capture all of the casual/mass consumer gamer crowd.

Maybe Amazon is going to release a Steam Machines console with both Steam OS and Amazon integrated into it?

kirby007 said:
We have a dutch saying: Schoenmaker blijf bij je leest.

which means we should stick to what we are good at

We have exactly the same in Germany

Around the Network

I guess its hard to imagine this working for me because I have never played a game on ios or android where I felt I could sit on my couch and enjoy more. I suppose if the games are there this could work but I just dont see the infrastructure being there for this type of thing. We already have indie devs publishing on Xbone and PS4 what would be similar games if not identicle games without a prebuilt infrastructure.

If the industry was booming I could see it but there simply isnt a surplus of devs to devote enough time and exclusive material for a console like this. they are already makng PSN, Live games.....why devote time and limited resources to a fledgling device with lack of focus.

I mean we really have 3 different and quality consoles to choose from already for home console use. When MSFT jumped in with Xbox, Sega was drowning/dead, Nintendo drowning in home console market and Sony was the only real big kid on the block, it made sense at the time to offer something fresh and new. I would have thought the failure of OUYA would be a lesson about not trying capture a niche within a niche.

Just seems like a bad idea.

Hopefully will join the slew of other succesfull Android consoles...

superchunk said:
So much naivety from some peeps.

This is the console future. Just as I said it would be early 2013... you can search my history for the thread.

1) Nintendo failed to realize this and did not integrate with a really good wide ranging entertainment system (aka android store built into its eshop similar to amazon's store)

2) MSony both included a large multi-entertainment system. But to appease the core gamer Sony advertises is as an added value while MS focus on full entertainment correctly.

3) I specifically said Android/iOS "gaming" devices would come 2013/2014... and this does not equate to Ouya or tablets with sync'd game controllers.

This is about actual gaming devices, connected to TV that bring the full iOS/Android life to your TV PLUS the traditional console/pc games.

Amazon was first to really push Android tablets as they were smart. They waited for a real Android version intended for tablets (4.x+) and put out a good device that was available for a low-cost. Just beat Google themselves to the punch actually and its worked out well for them.

Amazon will do what Nintendo should have, however Amazon will do it a bit better. They won't have the Nintendo IPs of course, but they will have the full Android backbone plus they'll get the mass-market casual games like EA Sports, COD, etc.

This may not be big with core gaming crowd, but it very well could be massive (aka Wii) with some of that crowd and then capture all of the casual/mass consumer gamer crowd.

Im confused about how you dont equate this to OUYA then describe it as exactly what the OUYA is.

So theyll have the full android backbone? Like Clash of Clans to put on my tv for the 40 seconds I need to tell a builder to spend 7 days upgrading something? Or candy crush? Would bejewelled sell gangbusters on PSN or Live? PvZ? On PSN/Live. What other Android games would make people salivate to play from their couch on a 42 inch tv?

EA already makes android games, why would you think they will somehow carry a new android home console with limited horsepower? Andoird daming andiOS gaming are fine, theyre built upon a mobile infrastructure, to assume you can extrapolate that to the living room is silly, in my opinion. 

What streaming services will amazon offer on thsi device that arent either on every game console, TV, BD player already?

Why would I need a new device marketed as a console foremost when its either going to offer eveything on my phone/tablet and the streaming services already in my entertainment center?

I currently lack the vision to imagine why this would be a good idea. You could buy a Chromecast and a Wii U for that price, or a Chromecast, an Ouya, and a bluray player. Or a Chromecast and six Xbox One/PS4 games. Or... thirty full priced Kindle books.

steverhcp02 said:

Im confused about how you dont equate this to OUYA then describe it as exactly what the OUYA is.

So theyll have the full android backbone? Like Clash of Clans to put on my tv for the 40 seconds I need to tell a builder to spend 7 days upgrading something? Or candy crush? Would bejewelled sell gangbusters on PSN or Live? PvZ? On PSN/Live. What other Android games would make people salivate to play from their couch on a 42 inch tv?

EA already makes android games, why would you think they will somehow carry a new android home console with limited horsepower? Andoird daming andiOS gaming are fine, theyre built upon a mobile infrastructure, to assume you can extrapolate that to the living room is silly, in my opinion. 

What streaming services will amazon offer on thsi device that arent either on every game console, TV, BD player already?

Why would I need a new device marketed as a console foremost when its either going to offer eveything on my phone/tablet and the streaming services already in my entertainment center?

Ouya is NOT

• full android
  • full android games
  • any console games
I think you need to reread my full post.