By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Amazon's sub $300 console

superchunk said:

Ouya is NOT

• full android
  • full android games
  • any console games
I think you need to reread my full post.

Vizio has a device that is full Android/Android games and it hasn't set the world on fire. A number of Sony devices are full on Android for TV.

I just really don't get what makes this rumored Amazon system so desirable.

Around the Network
VitroBahllee said:

Vizio has a device that is full Android/Android games and it hasn't set the world on fire. A number of Sony devices are full on Android for TV.

Neither of those have any console games or are market any where near as well as Amazon will.

This and the rumored new apple tv with full app and games support could dent the consoles market from the big 3.. With cross compatibilty with the consumers current devices and the new chips which easily produces 360/ps3 level of graphics it could be a gamechanger.. The Barrier to get more sophisticated games by "console" developers would instantly be lowered to millions of people.. First i would expect ports from the ps3/360 generation and then developers will make more and more new games for it..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

steverhcp02 said:
superchunk said:
So much naivety from some peeps.

This is the console future. Just as I said it would be early 2013... you can search my history for the thread.

1) Nintendo failed to realize this and did not integrate with a really good wide ranging entertainment system (aka android store built into its eshop similar to amazon's store)

2) MSony both included a large multi-entertainment system. But to appease the core gamer Sony advertises is as an added value while MS focus on full entertainment correctly.

3) I specifically said Android/iOS "gaming" devices would come 2013/2014... and this does not equate to Ouya or tablets with sync'd game controllers.

This is about actual gaming devices, connected to TV that bring the full iOS/Android life to your TV PLUS the traditional console/pc games.

Amazon was first to really push Android tablets as they were smart. They waited for a real Android version intended for tablets (4.x+) and put out a good device that was available for a low-cost. Just beat Google themselves to the punch actually and its worked out well for them.

Amazon will do what Nintendo should have, however Amazon will do it a bit better. They won't have the Nintendo IPs of course, but they will have the full Android backbone plus they'll get the mass-market casual games like EA Sports, COD, etc.

This may not be big with core gaming crowd, but it very well could be massive (aka Wii) with some of that crowd and then capture all of the casual/mass consumer gamer crowd.

Im confused about how you dont equate this to OUYA then describe it as exactly what the OUYA is.

So theyll have the full android backbone? Like Clash of Clans to put on my tv for the 40 seconds I need to tell a builder to spend 7 days upgrading something? Or candy crush? Would bejewelled sell gangbusters on PSN or Live? PvZ? On PSN/Live. What other Android games would make people salivate to play from their couch on a 42 inch tv?

EA already makes android games, why would you think they will somehow carry a new android home console with limited horsepower? Andoird daming andiOS gaming are fine, theyre built upon a mobile infrastructure, to assume you can extrapolate that to the living room is silly, in my opinion. 

What streaming services will amazon offer on thsi device that arent either on every game console, TV, BD player already?

Why would I need a new device marketed as a console foremost when its either going to offer eveything on my phone/tablet and the streaming services already in my entertainment center?

It will be a console, with AAA titles and exclusives that you won't be able to play on your phone or tablet.

I can honestly see this succeeding to some degree... People love Amazon, and they generally do a pretty good job marketing, along giving you proper incentive to purchase their products.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
This and the rumored new apple tv with full app and games support could dent the consoles market from the big 3.. With cross compatibilty with the consumers current devices and the new chips which easily produces 360/ps3 level of graphics it could be a gamechanger.. The Barrier to get more sophisticated games by "console" developers would instantly be lowered to millions of people.. First i would expect ports from the ps3/360 generation and then developers will make more and more new games for it..

Why would the barrier be lower for people with a $300 device on level with 360/PS3 when you can get a 360 for cheaper? Or a Wii U for cheaper? Why is this more appealing?

Because they could stream these 360-level graphics to their phone? Conceiveably appealing, but I don't see it being easy to play console games on your phone. 

pezus said:

Only Ouya and One could lose from this imo. One is targeting the media center market as well and Ouya is an Android console (that isn't doing well at all anyway)

Yes because you cannot play music or movies, video chat, surf the web, or any other multimedia features on a PS4.......smdh granted I agree its offering to pale in comparison to one but to suggest they do not exist at all in order to suggest that the Amazon console will not hurt it is  bit of a stretch.

superchunk said:
VitroBahllee said:

Neither of those have any console games or are market any where near as well as Amazon will.

Very true. They have amazon digital and Amazon prime with 10 million subs. They have the infastructure already in place for online. While I want to see the specs I can see this going beyond Ouya. Way beyond. Amazon has everything they need but the device itself

VitroBahllee said:
NiKKoM said:

Why would the barrier be lower for people with a $300 device on level with 360/PS3 when you can get a 360 for cheaper? Or a Wii U for cheaper? Why is this more appealing?

Because they could stream these 360-level graphics to their phone? Conceiveably appealing, but I don't see it being easy to play console games on your phone. 

Mobile (smartphone and tablet) gpu's have already surpassed 360, ps3 in graphics power

Well, I for one don't think this is a brilliant idea. A sub-$100 video/music streambox, with Android games as a side benefit, I would expect to do well. A $300 game system from Amazon leveraging their Amazon Prime streaming as a side benefit? I'm not confident.

I feel like the people who are certain it's a good idea might be understanding something I do not. But also I feel like there's a chance they are seeing something that isn't there. I guess time will tell.