By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's Achilles heel?

Tagged games:

zippy said:
BeElite said:
Do they have the hardware for that? Cartooni art style is easier to do. On realism they would get hammerd hard in comparison the ps4 or x1 quality.

X looks as good as anything ive seen on PS4/Xbox one so far. If that game turns out to be the visual fest its looking to be, then there is no reason why more realistic looking games cant make their way to Wii U. (not that ive ever seen realistic monsters and robots )

Nope. we talking about games that look like AssCreed, last of us, watchdogs, BF, TR etc.. X is more artistic than realistic. You just proved my point.

What is wrong with Nintendo developing something that looks like those games I listed? 

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

Around the Network
trixiemafia86 said:

Nope. we talking about games that look like AssCreed, last of us, watchdogs, BF, TR etc.. X is more artistic than realistic. You just proved my point.

What is wrong with Nintendo developing something that looks like those games I listed? 

Lacking experience, need, ability and demand.

Yeah I don't get it. In the past when they've developed those types of games they've been really good. It seems as though they just don't like realism or simulation. I guess they find it boring.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
trixiemafia86 said:

We wouldn't know that till they try though. Who knows, if they put in effort to make something realistic with a good story, it can sell to the Nintendo crowd even more than a Zelda game if done right.
This will also attract new gamers to their system.

Imagine if the last of us was exclusive to WiiU and developed by Nintendo. that would move more consoles than wonderful 101 and pikmin combined (throw in NSMB U). IMO

Smartest nam evila

Miyamoto itself. Or at least that's what Maelstrom suggests.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
trixiemafia86 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

We wouldn't know that till they try though. Who knows, if they put in effort to make something realistic with a good story, it can sell to the Nintendo crowd even more than a Zelda game if done right.
This will also attract new gamers to their system.

Imagine if the last of us was exclusive to WiiU and developed by Nintendo. that would move more consoles than wonderful 101 and pikmin combined (throw in NSMB U). IMO

Just a reminder:

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Call of Duty: Ghosts X360 2013 Shooter Activision 5.22 2.03 0.02 0.60 7.87
2 Call of Duty: Ghosts PS3 2013 Shooter Activision 2.98 2.61 0.35 1.19 7.12
3 Call of Duty: Ghosts PS4 2013 Shooter Activision 0.91 0.58 0.00 0.14 1.63
4 Call of Duty: Ghosts XOne 2013 Shooter Activision 0.98 0.33 0.00 0.08 1.39
5 Call of Duty: Ghosts PC 2013 Shooter Activision 0.14 0.24 0.00 0.07 0.45
6 Call of Duty: Ghosts WiiU 2013 Shooter Activision 0.09 0.02 0.01 0.01 0.12

People don't buy Nintendo consoles to play realistic games, and those who buy Nintendo consoles play realistic games on other consoles. Breaking this trend would required great effort, starting with many losses. Sure, if Nintendo had their own "Uncharted" series they may attract some new buyers the same way Uncharted made Xbox users buy a Playstation and Halo made PS users buy an Xbox, but fact remains that they currently are unable to develop such a title. This gives them two options:

1) Their current route, securing deals with third party developers to get exclusive titles such as ZombiU.

2) Start a new first party studio and hire new people with the intention of making "mature" titles.

Ignoring that fact that Yamauchi strictly forbade Nintendo to develop +18 titles (after all, though extremely unlikely, this policy could change at some point in the future), the first option is by far the safest option. And in their current financial situation being safe is really the only option.

I would like to see Nintendo do something like Civilization or Age of Empires. I don't really like most first person shooters, and I don't find them very mature, they are basically first person Rambo movies in which one person kills hundreds and is barely damaged by bullets, that is why I also never found them more realistic than platformers.

sidmeiernintifan said:
I would like to see Nintendo do something like Civilization or Age of Empires. I don't really like most first person shooters, and I don't find them very mature, they are basically first person Rambo movies in which one person kills hundreds and is barely damaged by bullets, that is why I also never found them more realistic than platformers.

like i said in the op, it doesn't need to be fps.

just something different from their usual artistic games with a good story.

Smartest nam evila

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Just a reminder:

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Call of Duty: Ghosts X360 2013 Shooter Activision 5.22 2.03 0.02 0.60 7.87
2 Call of Duty: Ghosts PS3 2013 Shooter Activision 2.98 2.61 0.35 1.19 7.12
3 Call of Duty: Ghosts PS4 2013 Shooter Activision 0.91 0.58 0.00 0.14 1.63
4 Call of Duty: Ghosts XOne 2013 Shooter Activision 0.98 0.33 0.00 0.08 1.39
5 Call of Duty: Ghosts PC 2013 Shooter Activision 0.14 0.24 0.00 0.07 0.45
6 Call of Duty: Ghosts WiiU 2013 Shooter Activision 0.09 0.02 0.01 0.01 0.12

People don't buy Nintendo consoles to play realistic games, and those who buy Nintendo consoles play realistic games on other consoles. Breaking this trend would required great effort, starting with many losses. Sure, if Nintendo had their own "Uncharted" series they may attract some new buyers the same way Uncharted made Xbox users buy a Playstation and Halo made PS users buy an Xbox, but fact remains that they currently are unable to develop such a title. This gives them two options:

1) Their current route, securing deals with third party developers to get exclusive titles such as ZombiU.

2) Start a new first party studio and hire new people with the intention of making "mature" titles.

Ignoring that fact that Yamauchi strictly forbade Nintendo to develop +18 titles (after all, though extremely unlikely, this policy could change at some point in the future), the first option is by far the safest option. And in their current financial situation being safe is really the only option.

option 1 is short term. both options can be used effectively, they have cash to invest.

this will need to be done if they want to attract single platform gamers who will only game on their systems. This and third party support. but nothing much they can do about the latter till nextgen.

Smartest nam evila

trixiemafia86 said:
what did u think about the Zelda U tech demo?

I thought that it looked pretty good in terms of tech, but that it would be hard to make an actual game work right while looking like that (because of issues relating to the dynamic nature of gaming). I'd like to think that a style somewhat resembling the tech demo, but with a little more "art" injected, would work fairly well. Something that could be seen as a cross between Skyward Sword and recent Final Fantasy games would probably be just right. Fairly realistic graphics, but with just a touch of artistic unrealism, and more colour than you'd expect from regular "realistic" graphics. But I would also be OK with something closer to Wind Waker HD, as long as it worked well and felt unique.