By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's Achilles heel?

Tagged games:

I think it's a combination of things.

Firstly, they haven't had mass appeal as a console maker since the 5th generation. Nintendo did best when they had no competition (3rd generation) or only 1 real competitor (4th generation). Once Sony came on, Nintendo couldn't hold onto their audience. They didn't make the types of games everyone wanted or didn't know they wanted. Nintendo can do platforms games very well, and they can do some adventure games well like LOZ but other companies were able to come in and offer greater variety of games. I didn't even know I would like a Tony Hawk game until I played it, but if I only bought Nintendo consoles I'd be limited to what I could play.   The Wii's appeal and sales were due to the casual crowd, I think a one time shot.  comparing the Nintendo consoles though, it's been declining and they showed with the Wii U that the market that helped them out last generation has abandonded them.  

Secondly it's 3rd party support. Nintendo pissed a lot of 3rd parties all the way back to the NES, if you don't know there are a lot of good youtube videos and articles about how controlling Nintendo was and how they controlled the cartridge cost and manufacturing so that all risk was on the developers and they were limited to how many games they could make per year. This has carried over from generation to generation as they make the consoles they want and then expect developers to work around them, whereas Sony and MS have worked hard to foster a better enviroment where they can put out their games easier. I think it's telling that looking at 2014 for the Wii U that there are a very small amount of 3rd party support announced so far even 1 month into the year, much less exclusives from developers other than Sega.

Lastly it's their failure to really innovate their games and their milking of their franchises. There have been 6 Mario adventure titles in the last 4 years, I'm not counting other games with Mario in them, just adventure titles. They haven't made a new franchise in over a decade outside of Wii Fit/Sports which is fine for casuals but has little substance to most gamers, they are limited and not deep games, just motion controlled empty calories and not something you'd compare to great games despite their high sales due to casuals. Clearly the new Wii Fit U is not on track to do even a quarter of the sales of Wii Fit because it's come and gone and won't be something with mass appeal any longer.

Nintendo has to take risks with their games. People knock shooters but that's the thing right now, just as arcade games were, or platform games were in the past. They sell well and that's part of the business. While the games Nintendo makes still turn a profit, they have to expand on new franchises in order to get a larger market back. If you didn't buy either of the two mario games on Wii U yet than will a third one get you to? Is that what was holding you back? For the people not interested in Mario or LOZ or Metroid of Dk, they have to bring new unique experience to their platforms each generation, at least two to prevent the sequel stagnation that has been going on lately, another collect a thon Mario game or 8 dungeons of LOZ isn't going to bring in new buyers, it's only going to appease the diehard fans of those franchises who are gradually decreasing and not being replaced or increasing the sales of Nintendo biggest series.

Around the Network

Yeah, an FPS made by Nintendo is really going to lure in all those gamers who buy yearly rehashes of CoD and what not.

You also conveniently ignored the succes Nintendo had last gen. If you look at the top 20 most sold games, most of them are from Nintendo. And there are a lot of recent games in that list.

FPS is the most overrated franchise in the gaming world(in my opinion).

Nintendo's achilles heel is marketing. Most people don't even know the Wii U is Nintendo's latest console. They think the gamepad is an add-on for the Wii. Their games are not the problem. 

trixiemafia86 said:

We all know that Nintendo is known to release high quality, polished games at least according to general opinion (Right?). So why are fans not interested in the company releasing just one (not many) new IP with realistic visuals and a mature story (whatever that is :P). Since the company is known to provide high quality games, why do fans dislike the idea of Nintendo creating a new IP with these qualities.  Cell shaded/Cartoonish Art style is good and I love them but just one game with realistic graphics made by Nintendo on the Wii U would be great in my opinion for the company. It doesn't have to be bloody and whatnot, just realistic, with a compeling story.

It could be TPS, FPS or anything? Zelda would work well with this too just like the tech demo but, something more realistically looking like Ass Creed, last of US, Bioshock, FF XV or Watchdogs made by Nintendo with a good story would be a great change/surprise for the Wii U. What do you guys think?

Do you think they are scared to try this or it just doesn't fit well with the company's philosophy? and if you prefer artistic games, would it hurt to enjoy a realistic Nintendo developed game once in a while?

Your wish is already true: Disaster Day of Crisis

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

NintendoPie said:
trixiemafia86 said:

why do u think they don't need it. is it because u dont need it? 

Well, I need it. I'll get a Wii U for something realistic and high quality, exclusive to the console.

if something like last of us was exclusive to wii u, i'll own one now.

You and how many other people? (Hyper-)Realistic games haven't ever flourished on Nintendo consoles. Nintendo doesn't need a game that is like Call of Duty or AssCreed. They have games that are more mature and realistic that already take place in genres that they have made a foray into before. Like Zelda, and Metroid.

that thinking is one of the reasons why they are in their current position. Oh yes, I can't wait to play their next known franchises. There is no proff that it won't sell because they haven't tried. If they continue this way, their home consoles will become niche. don't see why the looks of their games can't be a mix of artisitic and realistic. since when is choice a bad thing. every game must not sell 5 million plus for Nintendo.

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

Mummelmann said:

Precisely, the market has taken a turn towards Western centric development and design and Nintendo are refusing, as always, to follow the movements of the market and instead insist on trying to dictate it and breach with "unique" design and features and they refuse to attempt anything grand outside of the usual suspects for their big budget efforts. Being timid, or at the very least cautious, when it comes to business can go both ways, they are now seeing which way it's going and it was time to respond a couple of years ago and they still haven't. Being timid when it comes to creative design is not good at any one time; Nintendo's vast talent and massive experience could produce amazing games the likes of which we've never seen (let's face it; even though their games currently are amazing, we have see it all before), on the same, or similar, premises as other developers (i.e; Nintendo could beat almost anyone in their own game, in a double meaning), it frustrates me that they are still clinging to Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong like a mariner to a flotsam.

They need to be more proactive, or at the very least; immediately reactive, and join main movements as they begin, not half a decade or more after it starts, just look at them delaying almost every title due to lack of knowledge on HD development and a lack of a now globally embraced standards in dev tools and methods and look at their inferior, fledgling social integration and online components compared to the competition. I think they'll keep on desperately looking for another Wii though; a phenomenon that allows an encased environment free from outside influence and that would serve well as a platform to maintain the stubborn development paradigm they've stuck with.

Sums it up.

Smartest nam evila

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

X has realistic graphics I suppose. Hopefully they'll make a new Metroid for the Wii U which will also have realistic graphics. There's a good chance the next Zelda will have realistic graphics, we don't know for sure.

And Miyamoto is working on a new IP. Hopefully it isn't another Wii Music like title, but something unique like Pikmin was. Pikmin 3 has realistic graphics. It's a good looking game with the exception of some ground textures which look like a leftover from when it was supposed to be a Wii game. 

Not really sure what you're complaining about. 

where are realistic looking games like last of us, gears, uncharted, asscreed etc with so called 'mature' story lines developed by Nintendo. Zelda is how old now? its not creating any surprises and it doesn't really fit that description.

Smartest nam evila

F0X said:
Metroid already exists, and it doesn't sell nearly as well as "cartoony" Nintendo franchises.

the company treats it like an adopted IP that's why.

they need to take notes from Rockstar. although gta is their biggest francise, it doesn't stop them from focusing on all their titles almost equally.

Smartest nam evila

trixiemafia86 said:
F0X said:
Metroid already exists, and it doesn't sell nearly as well as "cartoony" Nintendo franchises.

the company treats it like an adopted IP that's why.

they need to take notes from Rockstar. although gta is their biggest francise, it doesn't stop them from focusing on all their titles almost equally.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "adopted" IP. Nintendo doesn't act like Metroid doesn't exist. And budget-wise, the Prime games and Other M are some of the biggest projects Nintendo has ever undertaken. Although, when compared to the golden child Zelda, I guess I see what you mean.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Samus Aran said:

Yeah, an FPS made by Nintendo is really going to lure in all those gamers who buy yearly rehashes of CoD and what not.

You also conveniently ignored the succes Nintendo had last gen. If you look at the top 20 most sold games, most of them are from Nintendo. And there are a lot of recent games in that list.

FPS is the most overrated franchise in the gaming world(in my opinion).

Nintendo's achilles heel is marketing. Most people don't even know the Wii U is Nintendo's latest console. They think the gamepad is an add-on for the Wii. Their games are not the problem. 

You talking about Wii sports/fit/party? ok

what's their sequels doing for the Wii U. 

Smartest nam evila

Mnementh said:
trixiemafia86 said:

We all know that Nintendo is known to release high quality, polished games at least according to general opinion (Right?). So why are fans not interested in the company releasing just one (not many) new IP with realistic visuals and a mature story (whatever that is :P). Since the company is known to provide high quality games, why do fans dislike the idea of Nintendo creating a new IP with these qualities.  Cell shaded/Cartoonish Art style is good and I love them but just one game with realistic graphics made by Nintendo on the Wii U would be great in my opinion for the company. It doesn't have to be bloody and whatnot, just realistic, with a compeling story.

It could be TPS, FPS or anything? Zelda would work well with this too just like the tech demo but, something more realistically looking like Ass Creed, last of US, Bioshock, FF XV or Watchdogs made by Nintendo with a good story would be a great change/surprise for the Wii U. What do you guys think?

Do you think they are scared to try this or it just doesn't fit well with the company's philosophy? and if you prefer artistic games, would it hurt to enjoy a realistic Nintendo developed game once in a while?

Your wish is already true: Disaster Day of Crisis

I'll check that out now. I've heard nothing about it yet.

Smartest nam evila