By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's Achilles heel?

Tagged games:

Soundwave said:
lt_dan_27 said:
trixiemafia86 said:

We all know that Nintendo is known to release high quality, polished games at least according to general opinion (Right?). So why are fans not interested in the company releasing just one (not many) new IP with realistic visuals and a mature story (whatever that is :P). Since the company is known to provide high quality games, why do fans dislike the idea of Nintendo creating a new IP with these qualities.  Cell shaded/Cartoonish Art style is good and I love them but just one game with realistic graphics made by Nintendo on the Wii U would be great in my opinion for the company. It doesn't have to be bloody and whatnot, just realistic, with a compeling story.

It could be TPS, FPS or anything? Zelda would work well with this too just like the tech demo but, something more realistically looking like Ass Creed, last of US, Bioshock, FF XV or Watchdogs made by Nintendo with a good story would be a great change/surprise for the Wii U. What do you guys think?  

Do you think they are scared to try this or it just doesn't fit well with the company's philosophy? and if you prefer artistic games, would it hurt to enjoy a realistic Nintendo developed game once in a while?

They've failed miserably to adapt to what the public wants. Poeple just don't care about them anymore, that's their problem. They needed to try new IP's last gen, not this one. It's just too little too late. And they can't make a console that compares to it's competition in power. Sorry, I'm not paying 75% the price of a ps4 for a quarter of the performance. If I can get a wiiU for under 150 anytime soon, I might consider buying one. But that's it. 

People do like Nintendo games still, they just are getting tired of out of step decisions the company makes with regards to hardware primarily and a failure to broaden their software scope to more adequetly serve Western tastes. 

So basically what I said. 

Around the Network

It's been done before and is already being done now. But you don't seem to accept those games into this curriculum.

However, Nintendo doesn't really need something as "realistic" as AssCreed. Twilight Princess is well and good.

Hardcore gamers, they can't compete with their competition for hardcore gamers.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

NintendoPie said:
It's been done before and is already being done now. But you don't seem to accept those games into this curriculum.

However, Nintendo doesn't really need something as "realistic" as AssCreed. Twilight Princess is well and good.

why do u think they don't need it. is it because u dont need it? 

Well, I need it. I'll get a Wii U for something realistic and high quality, exclusive to the console.

if something like last of us was exclusive to wii u, i'll own one now.

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

trixiemafia86 said:

why do u think they don't need it. is it because u dont need it? 

Well, I need it. I'll get a Wii U for something realistic and high quality, exclusive to the console.

if something like last of us was exclusive to wii u, i'll own one now.

You and how many other people? (Hyper-)Realistic games haven't ever flourished on Nintendo consoles. Nintendo doesn't need a game that is like Call of Duty or AssCreed. They have games that are more mature and realistic that already take place in genres that they have made a foray into before. Like Zelda, and Metroid.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Their achilles heel is basically their old fashioned, stubborn Japanese management.

The studios are great, the games are great, they are held back by a management group that moves as slow as the Titanic.

If Nintendo had a great Western division to help out the Japanese side, they would be doing fine right now but they don't unfortunately. Even though Rare wasn't perfect, they were a very good sidekick that could fill in for Nintendo with a good number of games for example and Nintendo has never really replaced that lost output.

Precisely, the market has taken a turn towards Western centric development and design and Nintendo are refusing, as always, to follow the movements of the market and instead insist on trying to dictate it and breach with "unique" design and features and they refuse to attempt anything grand outside of the usual suspects for their big budget efforts. Being timid, or at the very least cautious, when it comes to business can go both ways, they are now seeing which way it's going and it was time to respond a couple of years ago and they still haven't. Being timid when it comes to creative design is not good at any one time; Nintendo's vast talent and massive experience could produce amazing games the likes of which we've never seen (let's face it; even though their games currently are amazing, we have see it all before), on the same, or similar, premises as other developers (i.e; Nintendo could beat almost anyone in their own game, in a double meaning), it frustrates me that they are still clinging to Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong like a mariner to a flotsam.

They need to be more proactive, or at the very least; immediately reactive, and join main movements as they begin, not half a decade or more after it starts, just look at them delaying almost every title due to lack of knowledge on HD development and a lack of a now globally embraced standards in dev tools and methods and look at their inferior, fledgling social integration and online components compared to the competition. I think they'll keep on desperately looking for another Wii though; a phenomenon that allows an encased environment free from outside influence and that would serve well as a platform to maintain the stubborn development paradigm they've stuck with.

X has realistic graphics I suppose. Hopefully they'll make a new Metroid for the Wii U which will also have realistic graphics. There's a good chance the next Zelda will have realistic graphics, we don't know for sure.

And Miyamoto is working on a new IP. Hopefully it isn't another Wii Music like title, but something unique like Pikmin was. Pikmin 3 has realistic graphics. It's a good looking game with the exception of some ground textures which look like a leftover from when it was supposed to be a Wii game. 

Not really sure what you're complaining about. 

Lack of 3rd party and the over saturation of Mario games

Lyrikalstylez said:
Lack of 3rd party and the over saturation of Mario games

Next time read the thread.

And how come Mario games are by far the best selling games on its console? If there really was an over saturation we'd see it in the sales. 

Metroid already exists, and it doesn't sell nearly as well as "cartoony" Nintendo franchises.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero