By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's Achilles heel?

Tagged games:

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Just a reminder:
PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Call of Duty: Ghosts X360 2013 Shooter Activision 5.22 2.03 0.02 0.60 7.87
2 Call of Duty: Ghosts PS3 2013 Shooter Activision 2.98 2.61 0.35 1.19 7.12
3 Call of Duty: Ghosts PS4 2013 Shooter Activision 0.91 0.58 0.00 0.14 1.63
4 Call of Duty: Ghosts XOne 2013 Shooter Activision 0.98 0.33 0.00 0.08 1.39
5 Call of Duty: Ghosts PC 2013 Shooter Activision 0.14 0.24 0.00 0.07 0.45
6 Call of Duty: Ghosts WiiU 2013 Shooter Activision 0.09 0.02 0.01 0.01 0.12

Just a reminder:

GoldenEye 007 Wii: 1.77
Goldeneye 007 PS3: 0.67
Goldeneye 007 X360: 0.44

Call of Duty 3 X360: 2.64
Call of Duty 3 Wii: 2.21
Call of Duty 3 PS3: 1.43

For future reference, a simple example of a game selling poorly does not reflect on anything other than the game itself. In this case, CoD: Ghosts Wii U was practically ignored by Activision. Their retail advertising invariably showed only the other versions. It was confirmed ahead of release that the game would not be getting DLC. And yet, they charge as much for it as for the other versions. By comparison, Goldeneye on Wii was given focus, was the best version of the game by most accounts, and sales reflected that - indeed, sales of Goldeneye were higher than for any of the CoD titles beyond World at War (all of which were ignored by Activision). CoD3 Wii was given proper attention, and even despite the lack of any form of multiplayer in the Wii version, it easily outsold the PS3 version, and almost as well as the Xbox 360 version.

The lesson here is that Nintendo gamers will buy third party, realistic, "mature" games, if they given the chance and treated with respect. On the other hand, when they're treated as second-class gamers, they usually reject third-parties. You can see it all over the place - Monster Hunter Tri sold far better than any other home console Monster Hunter. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed sold roughly as well on Wii as on PS3 or 360. Tomb Raider: Anniversary sold best on Wii. And if you drop the "realistic" requirement, you get cases like No More Heroes, which sold far better on Wii than PS3. What sets these games apart from the CoD titles after CoD3 is that the Wii versions were treated as just as important as, if not more important than, other versions, and the publisher actually pushed the title. CoD sales on Nintendo platforms have been diminishing with each title, from 2.2 million for CoD3, down to 0.7 million for Modern Warfare 3 (they didn't even release Modern Warfare 2, by the way)... and then, on Wii U, 0.23 million for Black Ops 2 and 0.13 million for Ghosts. Not surprising given the contempt that Activision and Infinity Ward have shown towards Nintendo gamers (Treyarch have shown a little more respect, but not a whole lot more, and it speaks volumes that CoD3 Wii was made by ONE person, and the Treyarch Wii team didn't grow all that much with time).

Anyway, there ends the lesson for today.

Around the Network
trixiemafia86 said:
zippy said:
BeElite said:
Do they have the hardware for that? Cartooni art style is easier to do. On realism they would get hammerd hard in comparison the ps4 or x1 quality.

X looks as good as anything ive seen on PS4/Xbox one so far. If that game turns out to be the visual fest its looking to be, then there is no reason why more realistic looking games cant make their way to Wii U. (not that ive ever seen realistic monsters and robots )

Nope. we talking about games that look like AssCreed, last of us, watchdogs, BF, TR etc.. X is more artistic than realistic. You just proved my point.

What is wrong with Nintendo developing something that looks like those games I listed? 

I dont get your point, in the OP you state that a Zelda that had the look of the tech demo would work well. That would be more artistic than realistic, so no different to me mentioning X. 

They´re their own worst enemy.

zippy said:
trixiemafia86 said:

Nope. we talking about games that look like AssCreed, last of us, watchdogs, BF, TR etc.. X is more artistic than realistic. You just proved my point.

What is wrong with Nintendo developing something that looks like those games I listed? 

I dont get your point, in the OP you state that a Zelda that had the look of the tech demo would work well. That would be more artistic than realistic, so no different to me mentioning X. 

Don't cherry pick my sentence. here "Zelda would work well with this too just like the tech demo but, something more realistically looking like Ass Creed, last of US, Bioshock, FF XV or Watchdogs made by Nintendo with a good story"

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

RolStoppable said:
trixiemafia86 said:
zippy said:

Don't cherry pick my sentence. here "Zelda would work well with this too just like the tech demo but, something more realistically looking like Ass Creed, last of US, Bioshock, FF XV or Watchdogs made by Nintendo with a good story"

Why is FF XV okay, but X is not?

i just added that because it looks like a Japanese CGI movie. like the FF vii advent children movie. 

Smartest nam evila

Around the Network
trixiemafia86 said:

We all know that Nintendo is known to release high quality, polished games at least according to general opinion (Right?). So why are fans not interested in the company releasing just one (not many) new IP with realistic visuals and a mature story (whatever that is :P). Since the company is known to provide high quality games, why do fans dislike the idea of Nintendo creating a new IP with these qualities.  Cell shaded/Cartoonish Art style is good and I love them but just one game with realistic graphics made by Nintendo on the Wii U would be great in my opinion for the company. It doesn't have to be bloody and whatnot, just realistic, with a compeling story.

It could be TPS, FPS or anything? Zelda would work well with this too just like the tech demo but, something more realistically looking like Ass Creed, last of US, Bioshock, FF XV or Watchdogs made by Nintendo with a good story would be a great change/surprise for the Wii U. What do you guys think?  

Do you think they are scared to try this or it just doesn't fit well with the company's philosophy? and if you prefer artistic games, would it hurt to enjoy a realistic Nintendo developed game once in a while?

They've failed miserably to adapt to what the public wants. Poeple just don't care about them anymore, that's their problem. They needed to try new IP's last gen, not this one. It's just too little too late. And they can't make a console that compares to it's competition in power. Sorry, I'm not paying 75% the price of a ps4 for a quarter of the performance. If I can get a wiiU for under 150 anytime soon, I might consider buying one. But that's it. 

lt_dan_27 said:
trixiemafia86 said:

We all know that Nintendo is known to release high quality, polished games at least according to general opinion (Right?). So why are fans not interested in the company releasing just one (not many) new IP with realistic visuals and a mature story (whatever that is :P). Since the company is known to provide high quality games, why do fans dislike the idea of Nintendo creating a new IP with these qualities.  Cell shaded/Cartoonish Art style is good and I love them but just one game with realistic graphics made by Nintendo on the Wii U would be great in my opinion for the company. It doesn't have to be bloody and whatnot, just realistic, with a compeling story.

It could be TPS, FPS or anything? Zelda would work well with this too just like the tech demo but, something more realistically looking like Ass Creed, last of US, Bioshock, FF XV or Watchdogs made by Nintendo with a good story would be a great change/surprise for the Wii U. What do you guys think?  

Do you think they are scared to try this or it just doesn't fit well with the company's philosophy? and if you prefer artistic games, would it hurt to enjoy a realistic Nintendo developed game once in a while?

They've failed miserably to adapt to what the public wants. Poeple just don't care about them anymore, that's their problem. They needed to try new IP's last gen, not this one. It's just too little too late. And they can't make a console that compares to it's competition in power. Sorry, I'm not paying 75% the price of a ps4 for a quarter of the performance. If I can get a wiiU for under 150 anytime soon, I might consider buying one. But that's it. 

People do like Nintendo games still, they just are getting tired of out of step decisions the company makes with regards to hardware primarily and a failure to broaden their software scope to more adequetly serve Western tastes. 

Nintendo employs many western developers, including but not limited to:

Retro Studios, Monster Games, Next Level Games, Kuju Entertainment, n-Space, etc., and used to work with several others such as Left Field, Factor 5, Argonaut and Rare.

Employing others certainly wouldn't hurt, in fact getting as many developers from anywhere in the world to make Wii U games would certainly be a good idea. But while I think you'll see plenty of "realistic" games on Wii U, you have to ask yourself just how much of an impact on the so-called "hardcore gamer" crowd that does not already like and buy Nintendo products, would it actually have for Nintendo to make "realistic/hardcore" games? To me, it might just be pandering to a crowd that is going to ignore you anyway, which from a certain point of view could just as well be considered "selling out" their traditional values for nothing.

trixiemafia86 said:
zippy said:
trixiemafia86 said:

FF XV ??? anyways I misread your post, i saw Zelda tech demo and jumped to conclusions, for that i apologize.

zippy said:
trixiemafia86 said:
zippy said:

FF XV ??? anyways I misread your post, i saw Zelda tech demo and jumped to conclusions, for that i apologize.

I added that just because it looks like Japanese CGI movies e.g FF VII advent children

Smartest nam evila