By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider Definite Edition versus PC comparison

Thanks CGI!

Im reaaaaaaaaaaaally wanting to rent this for the PS4. Looks great during gameplay.

Around the Network

It is the definitive version - it includes all the original DLC, a digital version of the Dark Horse comic, a mini art book and developer videos.

I have the PC version and it looks amazing. They should have made the definitive version $19.99

Thanks for posting some good shots, GGI-Quality. I presumed there was some cherry picking going on.

Tomb Raider was fantastic. I have no desire to play again now, but maybe down the road I'll pick it up on the X1.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

So this essentially confirms what I had tested for myself and posted about in the other forum about Tomb Raider's definitive edition. I took the highest res PS4 definitive edition videos (though obviously compressed) and compared them to the game running maxed on my PC and felt the PC version definitely looked better. Again, I recognized there's video compression versus native resolution rendering, but I was looking at details.

I think this is why there is no PC definitive version, they know that the PC version already looks better in many aspects, despite the "upgrade" to the PS4/XBox1 versions, which seem to summarize to more foliage, more rocks, and altered textures (note some of the textures just look different, but not of higher quality than the PC version).

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network

I think a fair comparison would be between PS4 and a $400 PC. Because honestly, the comparison would look like last gen vs. this gen. Right now it's PS4 vs. 'a rig that costs thousands of dollars that can max everything out'.

So, for someone who's either going next-gen or nothing this might be a worthwhile purchase. Though I will say this game should be $40 since it's not actually a new title.

CGI-Quality said:
ZyroXZ2 said:
So this essentially confirms what I had tested for myself and posted about in the other forum about Tomb Raider's definitive edition. I took the highest res PS4 definitive edition videos (though obviously compressed) and compared them to the game running maxed on my PC and felt the PC version definitely looked better. Again, I recognized there's video compression versus native resolution rendering, but I was looking at details.

I think this is why there is no PC definitive version, they know that the PC version already looks better in many aspects, despite the "upgrade" to the PS4/XBox1 versions, which seem to summarize to more foliage, more rocks, and altered textures (note some of the textures just look different, but not of higher quality than the PC version).

Except, that it doesn't. The PC version is missing many of the enhancements of the Definitive Edition. I have to wonder what many of you are seeing, but then, without playing it for yourself, you won't really understand anyway. None of the online comparisons have been very accurate, and because mine depend on a crappy Facebook uploader, many of the finer details are missing from the head-to-head.

The things missing from the PC version range from SubSurface Scattering on Lara's skin, dynamic foliage/cloth/physics, advanced lighting, and slightly sharper textures. The only areas where the PC is ahead is AA and draw distance. That's, literally, it.

From the direct native screenshots comparisons, what it amounts to is what I said earlier.  The PC version looks better in MANY aspects, not ALL of them.  And, as I mentioned, it doesn't seem it's always slightly sharper textures.  In some cases, it's just a retexture, and in other cases, the PC has the higher resolution texture.  It's great that the PS4 is showing the ability to close the gap with an older PC port (obviously, if they added all of these features to the PC version, we'd have the PC version clearly back on top), but the graphics goggles only go so far: there are enough people saying that it's just not worth playing the definitive version if you've played the game already.  Combine that with the PC having graphics that "closely match" (happy? lol) the definitive edition, and having the game much cheaper, there's definitely no reason for a PC gamer to double dip, because they're not missing out on anything.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/

Seeing Lara turn psychotic off and on there looks hilarious.

TheShape31 said:
I think a fair comparison would be between PS4 and a $400 PC. Because honestly, the comparison would look like last gen vs. this gen. Right now it's PS4 vs. 'a rig that costs thousands of dollars that can max everything out'.

So, for someone who's either going next-gen or nothing this might be a worthwhile purchase. Though I will say this game should be $40 since it's not actually a new title.

Not really. Even at maxed settings and SweetFX, the graphics were above average at best. Not jaw dropping. There's a ton posted on the screenshot thread.

Just bought this on amazon.com. It's $8.99 but I have some of those $5 vouchers which they issued before christmas when you bought digital downloads. So $3.99 or about £2.50 in my money.

My gaming rig is fairly low end. It's a AMD A10 5800K with dual graphics HD6670. Cost just over £200 and in theory sits between xbox one and ps4 in gpu performance and beats them easily for cpu power but doesn't compare to ps4 for memory bandwidth. Anyway it performs like this for Tomb Raider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTIlcodxGk

That video doesn't look particularly well setup for the game but gives you an idea of performance. I think the latest drivers achieve much more and the AMD gaming evolved app is good at getting optimised performance.

Even on my humble rig the game looks superb at 1080p with fluid animation. I did the benchmark util and I'm getting 45-50 fps at 1080p on mid-level settings. Very beautiful game and great beginning. £2.50 well spent.