By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider Definite Edition versus PC comparison

Nsanity said:

Saw this over on NeoGaf

the definite version on this one is some serious nightmare fuel XD

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Guess duty calls...............again (just when I was ready to leave, too)!

In my case I was playing the game on my now underpowered gaming laptop. When I set it to max I was lucky to 30 fps.

Never did finish that game.

CGI-Quality said:
ZyroXZ2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
ZyroXZ2 said:
So this essentially confirms what I had tested for myself and posted about in the other forum about Tomb Raider's definitive edition. I took the highest res PS4 definitive edition videos (though obviously compressed) and compared them to the game running maxed on my PC and felt the PC version definitely looked better. Again, I recognized there's video compression versus native resolution rendering, but I was looking at details.

I think this is why there is no PC definitive version, they know that the PC version already looks better in many aspects, despite the "upgrade" to the PS4/XBox1 versions, which seem to summarize to more foliage, more rocks, and altered textures (note some of the textures just look different, but not of higher quality than the PC version).

Except, that it doesn't. The PC version is missing many of the enhancements of the Definitive Edition. I have to wonder what many of you are seeing, but then, without playing it for yourself, you won't really understand anyway. None of the online comparisons have been very accurate, and because mine depend on a crappy Facebook uploader, many of the finer details are missing from the head-to-head.

The things missing from the PC version range from SubSurface Scattering on Lara's skin, dynamic foliage/cloth/physics, advanced lighting, and slightly sharper textures. The only areas where the PC is ahead is AA and draw distance. That's, literally, it.

From the direct native screenshots comparisons, what it amounts to is what I said earlier.  The PC version looks better in MANY aspects, not ALL of them.  And, as I mentioned, it doesn't seem it's always slightly sharper textures.  In some cases, it's just a retexture, and in other cases, the PC has the higher resolution texture.  It's great that the PS4 is showing the ability to close the gap with an older PC port (obviously, if they added all of these features to the PC version, we'd have the PC version clearly back on top), but the graphics goggles only go so far: there are enough people saying that it's just not worth playing the definitive version if you've played the game already.  Combine that with the PC having graphics that "closely match" (happy? lol) the definitive edition, and having the game much cheaper, there's definitely no reason for a PC gamer to double dip, because they're not missing out on anything.

And you'd still be wrong, from the developer's words and my own playtime. You've not played it yet, so your opinion isn't based on anything factually measurable. In fact, name me the "many things" that the PC version has the edge on. I'll gladly tackle it.

Also, being "worth it" is moot in a technical discussion. I'm not arguing value, I'm just telling you that it is, indisputably, a step above the PC version, maxed out or otherwise.

From the sounds of it, my argument will be exactly the same.  I'm playing it at a solid 1080@60 fps maxed out right in front of me on my PC.  TressFX admittedly turns my GPU's fans to overdrive, but until you're playing it maxed out on a PC, you have to go by the comparisons shown online just the same as I do.

Being "worth it" is a major factor when we're talking about a game that was released 10 months ago.  Sure, some people didn't get to play it, but like the Wind Waker HD debate, is there enough of a "technical upgrade" to be worth it?  In a technical discussion in this case, it does belong when the the whole point of the definitive version is essentially a technical upgrade...

Either way, you and I are never going to see eye-to-eye.  You love your PS4, I get it, you see the value, I don't, let's just agree to disagree.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/

Now see the truth:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/01/24/tomb-raider-face-off-pc-vs-ps4/71343/

Here's a couple to get you started:

PS4:

PC:

PS4:

PC:

The PS5 Exists. 

CGI-Quality said:
ZyroXZ2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

From the direct native screenshots comparisons, what it amounts to is what I said earlier.  The PC version looks better in MANY aspects, not ALL of them.  And, as I mentioned, it doesn't seem it's always slightly sharper textures.  In some cases, it's just a retexture, and in other cases, the PC has the higher resolution texture.  It's great that the PS4 is showing the ability to close the gap with an older PC port (obviously, if they added all of these features to the PC version, we'd have the PC version clearly back on top), but the graphics goggles only go so far: there are enough people saying that it's just not worth playing the definitive version if you've played the game already.  Combine that with the PC having graphics that "closely match" (happy? lol) the definitive edition, and having the game much cheaper, there's definitely no reason for a PC gamer to double dip, because they're not missing out on anything.

And you'd still be wrong, from the developer's words and my own playtime. You've not played it yet, so your opinion isn't based on anything factually measurable. In fact, name me the "many things" that the PC version has the edge on. I'll gladly tackle it.

Also, being "worth it" is moot in a technical discussion. I'm not arguing value, I'm just telling you that it is, indisputably, a step above the PC version, maxed out or otherwise.

From the sounds of it, my argument will be exactly the same.  I'm playing it at a solid 1080@60 fps maxed out right in front of me on my PC.  TressFX admittedly turns my GPU's fans to overdrive, but until you're playing it maxed out on a PC, you have to go by the comparisons shown online just the same as I do.

Being "worth it" is a major factor when we're talking about a game that was released 10 months ago.  Sure, some people didn't get to play it, but like the Wind Waker HD debate, is there enough of a "technical upgrade" to be worth it?  In a technical discussion in this case, it does belong when the the whole point of the definitive version is essentially a technical upgrade...

Either way, you and I are never going to see eye-to-eye.  You love your PS4, I get it, you see the value, I don't, let's just agree to disagree.

Lulz, "you love your PS4" - Yeah, not anywhere close to as much as I "love my PC" (then again, I imagine your argument is weakening if things are boiling down to preference). End of the day, we won't see eye-to-eye, that much is true, but I'm not using opinions to back anything up. Speaking of - I'm still awaiting the "many things" the PC version has over The Definitive Edition. Once you answer that, with facts, I'll concede. 

A lot of fighters on these forums...

I bolded the part that makes me wonder about your attempts at satire, because my talk show is about the Wii U, sooo... That one's definitely off...

The PC version has sharper textures just like the DE (Definitive Edition) has some sharper textures (we'll call that equal ground), the PC version has better draw distance (as you said), better AA (as you said), higher resolution shadows (you can see this in the animated .gif comparison on top of the radio tower), can be played in higher than 1080p resolutions on larger monitors, has a solid framerate for people with gaming rigs (and can go beyond 60 fps for even more responsive controls), has KBM controls for better/faster aiming, and has the better model of Lara (this is commonly agreed upon).  I would not trade these things for retextured ground, more foliage, and more rocks.  Subsurface scattering?  Are you REALLY going to zoom in on Lara's skin?  But sure, I'll let you have that one anyway...  The PC version also has more realistic color grading, though people mistake this for "contrast" against the PS4 version.  The shadows in the DE are TOO defined and TOO dark, and is a lack of artistic design in favor of trying to show off "more shadows".  That, however, is more of an opinion.  Some people like really dark shadows...

And the PC version, is of course, FAR cheaper, which I again emphasize matters here since the DE is focused on the technical upgrades, but doesn't seem to be $30 more worth of technical upgrades.  There, are we done here?  I don't think I'm going to respond to you if you quote it, lol

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network

PC - (Ultra Setting)

Xbox One

From Kotaku. Pretty big differences I'd say, in some of the scenes.

SubiyaCryolite said:

Fucking LOL.

hinch said:

PC

Xbox One

From Kotaku. Pretty big differences I'd say, in some of the scenes.

is ultra the same as maxed tho? serious question

This thread lol the Definitive version looks better than PC.

The question now is... will PC receive a patch to add the visual upgrade found in Definitive version?

BTW PS4 version almost don't drop from 60fps even in action scenes... Xbone just go over 30fps in non-action scenes.

ethomaz said:
This thread lol the Definitive version looks better than PC.

The question now is... will PC receive a patch to add the visual upgrade found in Definitive version?

BTW PS4 version almost don't drop from 60fps even in action scenes... Xbone just go over 30fps in non-action scenes.

Probably not. Played p.c. version, graphics above  average but not jaw dropping on max settings. Washed out colors, 2d vegetation, over tesselated, poor contrast. Wasn't perfect.