By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider On PS4: "Same Game, Frame-rate Stutters, Lara Still Plastic Looking" Says Early Buyer

CGI-Quality said:
Trunkin said:
Nsanity said:
-pics

Wow. The PC version still looks much nicer. I'm assuming those are max settings, but is there any info on what kind of system its running on and the framerate?

Considering that his pics are disingenious (one is sub 1080p vid caps vs lossless HD screenshots), I'll give you what they look like based on my PC/PS4 combo game time:

PC

PS4

PC

PS4

PC

PS4

PC

PS4

Not that I want to get into the petty debates here any longer, but I even used Facebook's crappy uploader for 100% parity. The PS4 version does looks better! I can max it/run it at 120fps+ on PC, and that version is missing some of the finer details of the PS4's Definitive Edition. This is on top of the fact that the Definitive Edition has improved physics, particle effects, water physics and behaviour, Lara's added SubSurface Scattering, improved lighting, and slightly better textures in many areas (that tree not necessarily being one of them, but looking at the same pic, you can see the foliage depth is improved over the PC version).

The PC does still win in regards to draw distance, framerate (as mentioned - if you can go higher than 60fps), and some AA, but everything else is better in The Definitive Edition (yes, including Lara's Hair - for those not on an AMD card). The "stuttering" is also overblown, given the game stutters on the PC too, no matter how powerful your rig is. 

So yes, carry on now.

Well our eyes must be calibrated differently. To me in every one of those comparison pics PC looks qualitatively better. But really the main consideration is 7th gen console vs. 8th gen console and whether:

1. it's worth getting (paying anything at all let alone the full price) for people who already own it?

2. it's worth getting on PS4/Xb one rather than PS360 for people who don't own it / have never played it, and whether it's worth paying the extra?

I do want to play this game, but I don't have PS4 yet. So is it worth waiting?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Trunkin said:
Nsanity said:
-pics

Wow. The PC version still looks much nicer. I'm assuming those are max settings, but is there any info on what kind of system its running on and the framerate?

Considering that his pics are disingenious (one is sub 1080p vid caps vs lossless HD screenshots), I'll give you what they look like based on my PC/PS4 combo game time:

Not that I want to get into the petty debates here any longer, but I even used Facebook's crappy uploader for 100% parity. The PS4 version does looks better! I can max it/run it at 120fps+ on PC, and that version is missing some of the finer details of the PS4's Definitive Edition. This is on top of the fact that the Definitive Edition has improved physics, particle effects, water physics and behaviour, Lara's added SubSurface Scattering, improved lighting, and slightly better textures in many areas (that tree not necessarily being one of them, but looking at the same pic, you can see the foliage depth is improved over the PC version).

The PC does still win in regards to draw distance, framerate (as mentioned - if you can go higher than 60fps), and some AA, but everything else is better in The Definitive Edition (yes, including Lara's Hair - for those not on an AMD card). The "stuttering" is also overblown, given the game stutters on the PC too, no matter how powerful your rig is

So yes, carry on now.

At last a serious and fair comparison. Thank you!

And the game looks even (very slightly) sharper on PS4 with more contrasted assets. Exactly what some previewers already told us, that the game was crisp.

Great!! It means they didn't use (at least not too much) the horrible muddying FXAA. That's the best news of today! Better than the 60FPS stuff for me at least.

$60! What a ripoff. Its so cheap now on the 360/ PS3.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

should have an upgrade version like CoD and BF has with PS3 toPS4 for 9.99. Not $60... Square Enix greedy.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Figgycal said:
FlamingWeazel said:
selnor1983 said:

I wish some users would understand that when someone says 60fps is the aim, and its not locked that it will often drop to below 50. This is why he notices stutter. So like I originally said. I fully expect the average of PS4 frame on DF to be 45 - 50 and Xbox One 35-40.

Both not locked, but both confirmed above 30 all the time and below 60 all the time.

GT6 sufferes stutter, and averages 45-50 on DF.

I would actually of preferred they lock the games at 30 fps. Hopefully the One version you dont notice the stutter as much because it never hits 60.

LMAo only you would try to spin this to downplay the gap. The ps4 is at 60 FPS 95% of the time, this from the game rpoducer himself, no way is it an 45 average then it would not be 60 would it. You can expect waht you want, it won;t be reality.  The one will be close to 30, ps4 60, thats just fact, both will fluctuate a bit then go back to norms.

Link please?

Because if the framerate does actually go below 50 often - I'd rather have it locked at 30.

That's some BS right there. KZ:SF proves that if a game isn't locked at 60fps, it doesn't need to be locked at 30fps.

Around the Network

Is Xbone version suffering the same? Is this news even true??? Will read the rest of the thread now (still 1st page).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CGI-Quality said:
Trunkin said:
Nsanity said:
-pics

[INSERT HIGH QUALITY PICS HERE]

Not that I want to get into the petty debates here any longer, but I even used Facebook's crappy uploader for 100% parity. The PS4 version does look better! I can max /run the original at 120fps+ on PC, but that version is missing some of the finer details of the PS4's Definitive Edition. This is on top of the fact that the Definitive Edition has improved physics, particle effects, water physics/behaviour, Lara's added SubSurface Scattering, improved lighting, and slightly better textures in many areas (that tree not necessarily being one of them, but looking at the same pic, you can see the foliage depth is improved over the PC version).

The PC does still win in regards to draw distance, framerate (as mentioned - if you can go higher than 60fps), and some AA, but everything else is better in The Definitive Edition (yes, including Lara's Hair - for those not on an AMD card). The "stuttering" is also overblown, given the game stutters on the PC too, no matter how powerful your rig is. 

So yes, carry on now.

Hmm, I still kind prefer the overall look of the PC version; in some screens, the contrast between environmental objects appears to be less glaring, and Lara looks like she fits into the game world a bit better - I dunno if that's due to higher AA or what. From your screens, the differences are mostly negligible to my eyes, though. I am noticing a bit more detail in the environment on the PS4 version, maybe.

Screens aren't exactly the best way to compare games anyway, come to think of it...

Concerning framerate, if your system can run the game at 120fps, shouldn't you be able to play without stutter of any kind if you cap it at 60fps?

It would be interesting to see someone (Which could be me) using sweetfx HDR, and other effects, to tweak the lighting, and see how close they can get the comparison.

I think the PS4version will look better. Because of the things that were added like CGI-quality said.

CGI-Quality said:

Stutter happens anytime the game dips in the duoble digits (which happens in most games, believe it or not, even if it is few and far between). The higher the framerate, the less stuttering, yes, but it's not 100% erradicated because of such. 

I've had very little stutter in either my PC version or The Definitive (so far), however. The game is well optimized.

That's a little disapponting to hear, but I guess it doesn't matter too much as long as it's only a rare occurrance. When I'm really into a game, the ocassional frame drop goes unnoticed anyway.

CGI-Quality said:

Not that I want to get into the petty debates here any longer, but I even used Facebook's crappy uploader for 100% parity. The PS4 version does look better! I can max /run the original at 120fps+ on PC, but that version is missing some of the finer details of the PS4's Definitive Edition. This is on top of the fact that the Definitive Edition has improved physics, particle effects, water physics/behaviour, Lara's added SubSurface Scattering, improved lighting, and slightly better textures in many areas (that tree not necessarily being one of them, but looking at the same pic, you can see the foliage depth is improved over the PC version).

So yes, carry on now.

Nice like always CGI... missed you here.

Can we guess PC will receive a big update after some months?

BTW for me that didn't played on PS360... the PS4 version is worth 60 dollars.