By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider On PS4: "Same Game, Frame-rate Stutters, Lara Still Plastic Looking" Says Early Buyer

CGI-Quality said:
Trunkin said:
Nsanity said:
-pics

Wow. The PC version still looks much nicer. I'm assuming those are max settings, but is there any info on what kind of system its running on and the framerate?

Considering that his pics are disingenious (one is sub 1080p vid caps vs lossless HD screenshots), I'll give you what they look like based on my PC/PS4 combo game time:

PC

PS4

PC

PS4

PC

PS4

PC

PS4

Not that I want to get into the petty debates here any longer, but I even used Facebook's crappy uploader for 100% parity. The PS4 version does look better! I can max /run the original at 120fps+ on PC, but that version is missing some of the finer details of the PS4's Definitive Edition. This is on top of the fact that the Definitive Edition has improved physics, particle effects, water physics/behaviour, Lara's added SubSurface Scattering, improved lighting, and slightly better textures in many areas (that tree not necessarily being one of them, but looking at the same pic, you can see the foliage depth is improved over the PC version).

The PC does still win in regards to draw distance, framerate (as mentioned - if you can go higher than 60fps), and some AA, but everything else is better in The Definitive Edition (yes, including Lara's Hair - for those not on an AMD card). The "stuttering" is also overblown, given the game stutters on the PC too, no matter how powerful your rig is. 

So yes, carry on now.

Gorgeous pics man, missed you on here...

But I found in this pics the PC version better looking, but I'll buy it cheaper for PS4 when I get mine middle year.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

This rehash is the same game? Wow didn't see that one coming. Pretty sure this game is intended for those that missed out on the game entirely. You have to be nuts to want to buy this if you already own it elsewhere.

CGI-Quality said:
Trunkin said:
Nsanity said:
-pics

Wow. The PC version still looks much nicer. I'm assuming those are max settings, but is there any info on what kind of system its running on and the framerate?

Considering that his pics are disingenious (one is sub 1080p vid caps vs lossless HD screenshots), I'll give you what they look like based on my PC/PS4 combo game time:

PC

PS4

PC

PS4

PC

PS4

PC

PS4

Not that I want to get into the petty debates here any longer, but I even used Facebook's crappy uploader for 100% parity. The PS4 version does look better! I can max /run the original at 120fps+ on PC, but that version is missing some of the finer details of the PS4's Definitive Edition. This is on top of the fact that the Definitive Edition has improved physics, particle effects, water physics/behaviour, Lara's added SubSurface Scattering, improved lighting, and slightly better textures in many areas (that tree not necessarily being one of them, but looking at the same pic, you can see the foliage depth is improved over the PC version).

The PC does still win in regards to draw distance, framerate (as mentioned - if you can go higher than 60fps), and some AA, but everything else is better in The Definitive Edition (yes, including Lara's Hair - for those not on an AMD card). The "stuttering" is also overblown, given the game stutters on the PC too, no matter how powerful your rig is. 

So yes, carry on now.

[Edited the pictures out to lessen the quote tree]

Holy hell that's a pretty significant difference in my opinion. Not "I'm gonna pay $60 for a port" significant, but significant nonetheless. I already have the PS3 version ($29.99 on PSN last Spring), but I'm definitely gonna get the PS4 version when the price drops.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

dsp333 said:
The fact that this somehow constitutes a news story leads me to believe this is Microsoft FUD.

This game has been the most damaging to the Xbox brand since CoD at 720p broke out, I can't imagine you'd ever see a story on this otherwise.

I wonder if people will lose their shit over watch dogs

globalisateur said:

PS4 version is by default locked at 60fps! And it apparently sustains 60fps quite well with occassionnal dips on some demanding scenes (by the real previews, not vgchartz guesses).

You have no idea what "locked" means, vis-a-vis frame rate. Locked means just that--LOCKED, never wavers, never budges, from the target frame rate. That means no dips, no hiccups, no stuttering, the same frame rate from the moment the game starts to the moment it ends. 

Take most SEGA arcade games on Model 2 and 3, e.g. Virtua Fighter 2 or Daytona USA. Those games are *locked* to 60FPS and *never* waver from that standard. If the game dips *at all* the frame rate is not "locked", it is, instead, *variable*, which is precisly the case here.

(Oh, and yeah: I don't own an X1, do own a PS4, but don't care about these idiotic fanboy wars--nor do I care about this game--but you are misrepresenting what locked, in regards to frame rate, has always meant in order to win a message board battle.)

Around the Network

Fm the Pics CGI posted its a mixed bag some look better on PC some on PS4, but im pretty excited this game was on my backlog so i might a well pick it up for ps4

Is there any actual new SP content? Otherwise meh, looks like the "definitive" console version is just what PC people played months ago

gooch_destroyer said:
dsp333 said:
The fact that this somehow constitutes a news story leads me to believe this is Microsoft FUD.

This game has been the most damaging to the Xbox brand since CoD at 720p broke out, I can't imagine you'd ever see a story on this otherwise.

Why, what's going on with Watchdogs?

dsp333 said:
gooch_destroyer said:
dsp333 said:

Why, what's going on with Watchdogs?

Something like the Tomb Raider thing.

There's so much misinformation being spread about this game. The PS4 version look better than the current PC version.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/01/24/tomb-raider-face-off-pc-vs-ps4/71343/

The PS5 Exists.