By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor:Wii U version of Watch Dogs cancelled?GameStop Italy AND USA say It was an error!

Carl2291 said:
supernihilist said:

Im pretty sure most if every game you listed made a profit or at least broke even for Ubi. AC3 didnt bomb on WiiU it has sold 220k which is ok, AC4 is on pace to outsell AC3 so imagine...Ill give you Splinter Cell and....thats it. The rest are or either really cheap to make games that is impossible to lose mponey on them, or games that surely made a profit even if small, and you are just on hyperbole mode or simply trolling..

you choose

You need to look at the differences between launch sales and lifetime sales. You need to look at the growth of the fanbases. You need to look at things in perspective, not just the lifetime numbers.

ZombiU as you can see from the link was a bomb. It didnt profit.

AC3 sold 220k at primarily bargain bin prices. It sold less than 85,000 units in its first 5 weeks on sale. It was not a success for the franchise.

ESPN I asked a question.

AC4 is a bomb on Wii U for the same reasons that AC3 is. It sold less than 70,000 units in its first 5 weeks on sale, despite the franchise developing a fanbase on the console with AC3. Ubisoft also didnt think it was worthwhile releasing the DLC on Wii U. The late port PS4 version sold more in 24 hours in America alone than the Wii U version has lifetime. Perspective

Marvel Avengers sold 70,000 units. 15,000 of them came in the opening 5 Weeks. Im not sure how anyone can call this a success.

Splinter Cell is a bomb end of.

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 sold around 40,000 units. Every other game in the franchise passed 1 Million units. Its a bomb.

Smurfs 2 as I said, bombed on everything.

Rabbids Land has sold less than 10,000 units. Its the lowest selling Rabbids title by a giant gulf. It sold so bad that VGC tracking for it isnt even Weekly. Its a bomb.

According to Yves Guillemont himself, porting games from Xbox 360/PS3 to WiiU is very cheap: 1 Million Euros or so.

That would make 50k units the break even point for WiiU ports.

Around the Network
burning_phoneix said:

According to Yves Guillemont himself, porting games from Xbox 360/PS3 to WiiU is very cheap: 1 Million Euros or so.

I googled that to make sure and youre right. Ive probably seen it before somewhere but it totally slipped my mind if so. Im quite surprised. Thanks for bringing it up!

In which case, you could probably remove the AC titles from the list.

AwakeandAlive said:
Conegamer said:
So pretty much what everyone said. Just an error.

lol so many people said that it would be not a surprise 

I think the two can co-exist.

Honestly would it be a surprise if a multiplat game without a release date yet had its wii u port canceled? I think it would be sad, but not too shocking considering similar things have already happened a few times.

Carl2291 said:
burning_phoneix said:

I googled that to make sure and youre right. Ive probably seen it before somewhere but it totally slipped my mind if so. Im quite surprised. Thanks for bringing it up!

In which case, you could probably remove the AC titles from the list.

I wouldn't say they did amazing or anything but still worth the money porting. And the system only has about 5 million install base so it can only get better.

mutantsushi said:
ZyroXZ2 said:
Suke said:
Great, if true, I will have to buy a PS4 to play it now :/

So, you'll buy a PS4 just for a 3rd party game?  That's new, most people who wait to buy systems wait for 1st party games they know they can't get anywhere else...

Uh, assuming somebody is interested in playing Watch Dogs, why would buying a PS4 to play it be strange?

It's basically guaranteed to have the best version of any console. 

Not necessarily. It will look the nicest, but the Wii U version has the potential to be the definitive version if the gamepad is used correctly. This game lends itself so well to the gamepad, it seems like the perfect controller for it.

Around the Network
burning_phoneix said:

But there is still the opportunity cost of devoting developer time to a project which is less profitable than what they otherwise could do.

Not every game will be a blockbuster, some will lose anyways, but if you can identify an entire platform which underperforms, best to act on that clear info.

Perhaps out-souced porting studious aren't exactly the same limited resource, but that definitely goes for x-platforms in initial development.

And even porting studios require management overhead, and of course are competing for programmers vs. other studios, pushing up wage costs at the least.

AwakeandAlive said:
Conegamer said:

just because people said they wouldnt be surprised doesnt mean they thought it would happen. hell i still wouldnt be surprised, but i dont think it would happen either.

JoeTheBro said:
AwakeandAlive said:
Conegamer said:

I think the two can co-exist.

Honestly would it be a surprise if a multiplat game without a release date yet had its wii u port canceled? I think it would be sad, but not too shocking considering similar things have already happened a few times.

not to mention we've seen no footage of the game on Wii U at all. and the preorders are nothing to write home about.