By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DKC: Tropical Freeze is Native 720p @ 60fps (Upscaled to 1080p)

Tagged games:

Already said back in 2012 that 720p would be enough for me,
obviously 1080p would have been nicer but Nintendo didn't want a U, just WiiU.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
g911turbo said:
vivster said:
F0X said:
vivster said:
orniletter said:
vivster said:

People who believe just because SM3DW is in 1080p that the WiiU is powerful enough for more hardware hungry games like Bayonetta and X.

Donkey Kong running 720p is not really encouraging for those titles.

Super Mario 3D world is 720p too :)

and it looks fantastic !

Then I got lied to in that other thread.

And I hate this "But it looks amazing". No it does not. Amazing is pretty much the highest rating one could give but it definitely would look "amazinger" on more powerful hardware. So it just looks "ok" in comparison to what it could look like. As I said before, I cand't stand if games are held back by poor hardware. I'm used to PC level graphics which means 1080p and 60 frames. So NO, 720p does not look amazing. It looks jagged and washed out out with those fist sized pixels. Especially on a bigger screen.

You will hear people say this game looks amazing, and you will agree to disagree. Why? Because you can't argue against another person's art style preferences, even if the game is only running at 720p@60fps.

This is not about opinion. A game on a higher resolution looks better, period. A thing can't be amazing if there is a trivial way to make it even better. We are pretty much forced to this because Nintendo decided for us what looks good enough. This is a hardware limitation that could've been avoided but someone who is not the consumer decided giant pixels are good enough for us peasants. That is what angers me and even more so when someone defends it.

And before someone accuses me of just bashing Nintendo, I'm pretty pissed at Sony too for skimping out on a system that should've easily managed 1080p/60fps from the get go.

Well, your entitled to your opinion just as much as anyone else.  But it sounds to me like you want cutting edge.  The only way to get that is to buy the right PC card.  Not sure what else to tell you.

As for your comment in bold, not sure what will EVER make you happy lol.  Because things are ALWAYS improving, and you can make that statement about EVERYTHING.  Therefore, nothing in life is amazing.

That's why I said "trivial". It's not that they would have to hire a new art department or something. Just a bit more power would've been enough but as I said they decided it wouldn't be important.

I want cutting edge. I had high hopes for the new gen but I was disappointed all around. It's understandable that consoles from 7 years ago can't hold up to higher standards but the WiiU is out for a year and it can't handle the simplest tasks that are long standard in pc gaming.

No I don't consider myself part of the pc gaming master race and I know consoles are still the best offer when it comes to cost effectiveness. But I'm still thinking about what could've been and that makes me sad.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Damn, that sucks… The game is only 2.5D though? How can the Wii-U possibly have trouble running that in full HD?

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

g911turbo said:
vivster said:

The fact that it plays amazing is probably doing the weak graphics a good service because it distracts.

I'm playing on a 40" tv but i'm only sitting about 1-1.5m away from it. Any closer and I could see even the pixels of 1080p. I know my standards are much higher than the average person that is used to 720p from the last generation but it still sucks. Fun fact: I almost got eye cancer from TLOU with all the muddy textures and no AA whatsoever. I thought it would be different in the next generation but obviously it's not and yet they proud themselves calling themselves "next gen".

Sorry to hear.  Sounds like you should get a good PC rig and I don't mean that sarcastically.

Also, that sounds borderline OCD!

I own a high end gaming rig, that's why I know how good games can look, but I still prefer to play on consoles for the seamless gaming experience. It's just sad that my preferred gaming experience lacks so much :(

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Well for the Graphic Worshipers, Mario Kart 8 , Super Smash Bros U, and Bayonetta 2 are confirmed to be 1080p 60FPS.

Bayonetta has NOT been officially confirmed by platinum to be 1080p, ome random guy at siliconera said so and everyone jumped on it. Smash looks like a  Wii game with good clean textures so thats a no brainer, no DOF, No motion blur so 1080p should be a cakewalk. Kart I'll wait and see. And people who like good graphics arent worshipers, its 2014 even my phone is 720p, forgive us for expecting more from dedicated gaming hardware. Especially at the price we paid

At he end of the day, FPS is more desireable than 1080p. Nintendo isn't really experienced with HD games. 

Really? It looks amazing.

Around the Network
orniletter said:
Bayonetta 2 will be 720p @60fps too, as will Mario Kart 8.

"X" will surely be 30fps, like Zelda U .

Truth. Now all those "lazy 3rd party" and "hidden power" BS excuses can be put to rest once and for all.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Happy about 60 FPS. I'm fine with 720p, but I do think they could have managed 1080p @ 60 FPS if they had the time.

F0X said:
vivster said:
F0X said:

You will hear people say this game looks amazing, and you will agree to disagree. Why? Because you can't argue against another person's art style preferences, even if the game is only running at 720p@60fps.

This is not about opinion. A game on a higher resolution looks better, period. A thing can't be amazing if there is a trivial way to make it even better. We are pretty much forced to this because Nintendo decided for us what looks good enough. This is a hardware limitation that could've been avoided but someone who is not the consumer decided giant pixels are good enough for us peasants. That is what angers me and even more so when someone defends it.

And before someone accuses me of just bashing Nintendo, I'm pretty pissed at Sony too for skimping out on a system that should've easily managed 1080p/60fps from the get go.

You couldn't be more far off. The consumer will decide if Nintendo's output is good enough, and will use more factors than "it could've looked better on more powerful hardware" to make their decision. What you're doing is applying your standards and your definition of "amazing" to everyone, and completely ignoring that there are both objective and subjective measurements to quality, and on a person-to-person basis, subjective CAN outweigh objective.

I think most consumers have already decided based on hardware sales.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

SubiyaCryolite said:
F0X said:
vivster said:
F0X said:

You couldn't be more far off. The consumer will decide if Nintendo's output is good enough, and will use more factors than "it could've looked better on more powerful hardware" to make their decision. What you're doing is applying your standards and your definition of "amazing" to everyone, and completely ignoring that there are both objective and subjective measurements to quality, and on a person-to-person basis, subjective CAN outweigh objective.

we're one year in, last gen the wii and ps3 weren't even released yet, so how can you say this right now lol

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

SubiyaCryolite said:
F0X said:
vivster said:
F0X said:

I think so too, but I'm inclined to believe that a console's value proposition rests on more than just horsepower alone. History backs me up on this.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero