By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DKC: Tropical Freeze is Native 720p @ 60fps (Upscaled to 1080p)

Tagged games:

vivster said:

I don't even know how you could interpret what I just said in that way.

I'm just saying that consoles should at least try to match the power of a pc more closely and that people should be more objective when it comes to simple stuff like pixel count. They shouldn't pretend that games are "amazing enough" if they clearly haven't reached their full potential and don't need more power or even that there wouldn't be a difference.

It takes time for games to look their best on any console, including PS4 and XB1. PC's have no definate limits besides graphic cards and processing speed, which can be customized by the consumer's personal taste and desire.

Around the Network

aw man now I need to cancel my order since it will run with less pixels on screen!

we all know 1080p makes games better I mean other consoles have proven it already

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

vivster said:

I'm just saying that consoles should at least try to match the power of a pc more closely and that people should be more objective when it comes to simple stuff like pixel count. They shouldn't pretend that games are "amazing enough" if they clearly haven't reached their full potential and don't need more power or even that there wouldn't be a difference.

I sense a tiny bit of double standard here, my friend.

Sorry my fellow Vita owners.

Answer me this Vivstar: Were you able to enjoy Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, and Uncharted: GA visuals on the Vita ?

They all run at sub native resolution ( 720x408, ~ 56% of the native resolution)

TheLegendaryWolf said:
vivster said:

It takes time for games to look their best on any console, including PS4 and XB1. PC's have no definate limits besides graphic cards and processing speed, which can be customized by the consumer's personal taste and desire.

That's absolutely correct. The deal here is that 1080p/60 fps is kind of a fixed barrier for gaming and it was now for several years and probably already at the conception of the new consoles. When the old consoles came out barely anyone had an HDTV and it was ok that the consoles wouldn't run higher than what was available at that time. But this is the new gen. Full HD is standard in a lot of homes already, blu-ray movies are in 1080p. But yet the consoles can't even match the pixels most people have on their screens and with 4K on the horizon it will only get worse from here. A console should at least be up to date in the year it releases, they are not. That's the sad part.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

What is the general vibe of this thread? Outrage or meh?

Because I for one think that Nintendo fans don't exactly give the same amount of shits as a X1/PS4 fan would when it comes to resolution lol

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
F0X said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
It's not a huge deal, yet part of me feels it's still unacceptable. The graphics do not look that demanding to where they could not have upped the resolution. Rayman Legends managed it, DK should be able to as well.

A false comparison. Rayman Legends is not as demanding because much of the game is, in fact, 2D spritework, while Tropical Freeze is fully rendered in 3D.

My apologies then, I stand corrected!

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

orniletter said:
vivster said:

I sense a tiny bit of double standard here, my friend.

Sorry my fellow Vita owners.

Answer me this Vivstar: Were you able to enjoy Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, and Uncharted: GA visuals on the Vita ?

They all run at sub native resolution ( 720x408, ~ 56% of the native resolution)

In fact I was not. And I would easily shell out another 300€ for an updated Vita without jaggies.

I was also shocked when I looked at the resolution of the 3DS. I still feel bad for Link who as to endure this kind of treatment.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Hmmm, this is interesting... I haven't ready all 8 pages of posts, but Nintendo's YouTube channel generally posts games' trailers in their native resolutions. In the case of DKC:TF, you can select 1080p, while with Mario Kart 8, you can only select up to 720p...

DKC:TF - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9oJ_b4zB4Q
Mario Kart 8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU7tXqYplA8

If the OP source is true, then my bet is that DKC:TF was downscaled recently leading up to its release, as they may have decided to add certain effects, level elements, or other factors that resulted in them feeling a drop in resolution would maintain a solid 60 fps like SM3DW achieved.

P.S. I've noticed SM3DW is an exception to the rule, having it's E3 trailer start out at 720p, but later posting videos in 1080p without an increase of the game's native resolution to 1080p.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/

The videos always looked like 720p and the screenshots were in 720p. Not very surprising...

btw: the source are the ones who claimed that it's 1080p a few weeks back... They corrected their mistake.

And yes, it's surprising that Nintendo posted their video in 1080p, they usually post them in their native resolutions.

Edit: Ah, they also did it with 3D World.

The Wii game looked good, so I don't feel the need for 1080p. 60fps is a lot more important in platformers.