By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DKC: Tropical Freeze is Native 720p @ 60fps (Upscaled to 1080p)

Tagged games:

forethought14 said:
SvennoJ said:

No, actually it will look a little bit more blurry on a 1080p screen then on a 720p screen. Upscaling from 720p to 1080p every pixel needs to cover 1.5 pixels on the target display. You can either do it by resampling, which will soften the image, or by duplicating every other pixel, which will highlight aliasing and give an uneven picture.
It would be nice if there actually was an option to play with black borders, native 720p on a 1080p screen.

Some TVs have a "full pixel" option which will run anything in its native resolution (well my TV does). While it's nice to see everything look nice and sharp, it's kinda strange with so much empty space on the TV screens. It's hard to play Wii games in native 480p without upscaling. 

I would love to see that in action, sounds interesting.  does it center the image?

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
Naum said:
Well most ps360 games wasnt even 720p

Barely above 8 year old tech. Let's celebrate.

I'm confused.  Don't you already own a Wii U?

Why is 720p 60FPS so bad? It's in the start of it's life and people already expect 1080p 60FPS to be the bare minimum, when no 8th gen console has produced that well yet.

Very happy with 60FPS. If I had to choose between 60FPS and 1080p I'd take 60FPS without a doubt. However in this case I really don't think the compromise was necessary, this game doesn't seem so overly demanding that 1080p @ 60FPS would be so out of reach. I'll be having a ton of fun playing the game either way though, so I'm satisfied.

DevilRising said:
NightDragon83 said:
Nintendo already confirmed some time ago that they are targeting 720p for 1st party games, so why is this news?

That doesn't imply that some of their games won't be 1080p. I would certainly expect games like Zelda U, and perhaps the next 3D Mario, to be such.

No one has really been better than Nintendo at having the prettiest games on their own systems. Companies like Retro, Rare, Factor 5 and Monolith Soft have certainly been on par. But nobody has OUT-done Nintendo on their own systems.

I'd rather have them focus on making the best games possible at 720P.  That includes MK, Zelda, X, Mario 3D, etc.  I am happy with 720P.

The only time I wish I had 1080P was COD Ghosts (looking at you Xbox One), because you're looking "down field" so much at smaller objects / enemies.

Around the Network
g911turbo said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Naum said:
Well most ps360 games wasnt even 720p

Barely above 8 year old tech. Let's celebrate.

I'm confused.  Don't you already own a Wii U?

I do own a WiiU. Almost 6 months now, and with 11 games. I dont hate my Wii U, but I definately expected more. Im buying this game regardless, this and many others.

Its a mild annoyance even though Im very vocal about it here, particularly with people who act like 3rd party games being on par with 7th gen is some kind of "laziness" when its in fact the hardware itself. Confirmed over and over and over again but they keep insisting "laziness", as someone who likes 3rd party games and being a programer myself  I find such statements to be beyond infuriating and pathetically ignorant.

Also, I feel Nintendo fans should demand a bit more from Nintendo in the graphics department. Most are quick to come to its defense. None say, well guys its 2013 you could have done much much better.

I mean the tegra K1, a mobile chipset is ALREADY more powerful than the U (runs Trine 2 PC maxed out at 60fps where as the WiiU does 30fps).

"Graphics dont matter", it does when tablets and cellphones will be more powerful than a CONSOLE within a year. Add that with Nintendos failed attempts to recapture the casual audience and you have a serious problem on your hands. It does when the U is selling so poorly and has ZERO 3rd party support confirmed for 2015 and beyond cause its hardware CANT handle modern multiplatform releases.

Sony and MS fans have no problem criticising their parent company and demanding changes.  But Camp N almost worships Nintendo. As primarily a PC gamer I find this very confusing. Dont you want the best value for money? Dont you want more for less? Would more RAM really hurt you? Why are most of you all saying 720p is "fine". I know the tablet is expensive but look at what Sony crammed into the PS4 for what a $100 more. How can you be "fine" with that?

It's one of the reasons so many here and in general are waiting for/demand price cuts. Its why Amazon, Argos and several retailers sliced the price to 180 pounds  today. Because the base hardware is just NOT worth the amount of money Nintendo is asking for. Try and spin it anyway you want but thats the cold hard truth. The games are fine, great even, but the hardware is, for all intents and purposes, crap.

The funny part is despite all that the U will probably be my only 8th gen console. My PC which already beats the PS4 (and was GREAT value for money) will get everything else. Hopefully that puts my reactions into perspective.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Mario 3D World ran at 720p/60fps and looked absolutely beautiful, so I have no problem with this.

I fear people are doing another SM3DW graphics impression, where people see trailers and videos and think they know everything about the game. Though this image clearly lacks lighting/shadows, it also has shaders on the LEAVES and the fur looks quite nice:

Edit:  Guess I can't post the full size image here, oh well... lol

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
KylieDog said:
DevilRising said:
NightDragon83 said:
Nintendo already confirmed some time ago that they are targeting 720p for 1st party games, so why is this news?

That doesn't imply that some of their games won't be 1080p. I would certainly expect games like Zelda U, and perhaps the next 3D Mario, to be such.

No one has really been better than Nintendo at having the prettiest games on their own systems. Companies like Retro, Rare, Factor 5 and Monolith Soft have certainly been on par. But nobody has OUT-done Nintendo on their own systems.

Factor 5 did.  Capcom too.

And, at least in technical terms, Shin'en and High Voltage on the Wii.

KylieDog said:
curl-6 said:

High Voltage

On what game?  Not Conduit, it did some things well like gun effects, enemies etc but at a high price for others, some environments were cringe worthy.

It did more high-end effects at once than Nintendo's games though. (Like normal mapping, something Nintendo never used) And Conduit 2 pushed even further.