By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DKC: Tropical Freeze is Native 720p @ 60fps (Upscaled to 1080p)

Tagged games:

Was it supposed to be surprising ? There's only sooo much you can do with 8 ROPS at 550 mhz with a bandwidth of 12.8 GB/s.

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
Nintendo already confirmed some time ago that they are targeting 720p for 1st party games, so why is this news?

That doesn't imply that some of their games won't be 1080p. I would certainly expect games like Zelda U, and perhaps the next 3D Mario, to be such.

No one has really been better than Nintendo at having the prettiest games on their own systems. Companies like Retro, Rare, Factor 5 and Monolith Soft have certainly been on par. But nobody has OUT-done Nintendo on their own systems.

You can tell it's 60 fps from the gameplay videos. Game looks smooth as butter, even from off-screen YouTube footage. All the better to platform with. lol.

DevilRising said:
NightDragon83 said:
Nintendo already confirmed some time ago that they are targeting 720p for 1st party games, so why is this news?

That doesn't imply that some of their games won't be 1080p. I would certainly expect games like Zelda U, and perhaps the next 3D Mario, to be such.

No one has really been better than Nintendo at having the prettiest games on their own systems. Companies like Retro, Rare, Factor 5 and Monolith Soft have certainly been on par. But nobody has OUT-done Nintendo on their own systems.

I don't necessarily agree.  I think at their peak, mid-to-late N64 era, Rare out-classed Nintendo EAD.  Of course this really comes down to personal opinion, but I'd say Rare and Factor 5, if we're talking their best work, they at least matched EAD-level quality as far as getting the most out of the hardware. EAD can sometimes be minimalists with graphics in order to get the most of the gameplay itself instead of just providing pretty pictures.  Not saying it's a bad thing, just that it's what I've noticed.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

DevilRising said:
NightDragon83 said:

Except guys by the likes of IBM and AMD ofcourse.

Well most ps360 games wasnt even 720p

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network
Naum said:
Well most ps360 games wasnt even 720p

Barely above 8 year old tech. Let's celebrate.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

forethought14 said:
kekrot said:

That's not true. 1080p TVs can show 720p content just fine. Upscaling just means that it'll maybe look a little better and crisp on a 1080p screen.

If the 720p game doesn't upscale its content on a 1080p TV, it will run natively at 720p on the TV, therefore not use up all of the pixels (it won't just "stretch" automatically without a scaler). Video scalers are there to make non-1080p signals fill up the screen, otherwise there will be unused pixels. It doesn't just make it look better and crisp. I've ran Wii in 480p native resolution (without upscaling) on my 1080p TV, and only the 854 x 480 resolution is showing, the rest of the pixels are in black. Here's a definition:

Whoops I'm sorry, didn't think about it all that much really early this morning. What I meant to say was that there is a difference between the console doing the upscaling, like the 360 does with all games, and the TV scaling the picture.

And the thing I bolded out is what I meant, in this case it is the game that does the upscaling, NOT the TV. If the Wii U just sent a 720p signal to the TV, the TV would say it is a 720p signal and scale it accordingly (I haven't been into a TV that doesn't do that), but when the game does the upscaling, the game can also do things with that processed picture, like resampling or things like making the picture look better. I can mention the 42" Viera that I play games on, does a really, really good job at camouflaging the 480p picture from the Wii. It makes it a lot more blurry, but it looks fantastic as a result.

Let me edit my original post:

kekrot said:

That's not true. 1080p TVs can show 720p content just fine, but they will upscale it and do nothing else. Upscaling in this case, being done by the game on the console means that it'll maybe look a little better and crisp on a 1080p screen, with maybe added post-processing on the 720p pictures.

Yep.

The last Rayman games were 1080P, since when did Ubisoft become a more capable developer than NIntendo?

AnthonyW86 said:
The last Rayman games were 1080P, since when did Ubisoft become a more capable developer than NIntendo?

Read the thread. This was already answered.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

I'm not sure why this thread is continuing... Isn't it almost unanimous that Nintendo can do 720p@60 with such a level of competence as to remind people that resolution and framerate are the last thing you care about when you're having so much fun?

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/