By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DKC: Tropical Freeze is Native 720p @ 60fps (Upscaled to 1080p)

Tagged games:

F0X said:
vivster said:
orniletter said:
vivster said:

People who believe just because SM3DW is in 1080p that the WiiU is powerful enough for more hardware hungry games like Bayonetta and X.

Donkey Kong running 720p is not really encouraging for those titles.

Super Mario 3D world is 720p too :)

and it looks fantastic !

Then I got lied to in that other thread.

And I hate this "But it looks amazing". No it does not. Amazing is pretty much the highest rating one could give but it definitely would look "amazinger" on more powerful hardware. So it just looks "ok" in comparison to what it could look like. As I said before, I cand't stand if games are held back by poor hardware. I'm used to PC level graphics which means 1080p and 60 frames. So NO, 720p does not look amazing. It looks jagged and washed out out with those fist sized pixels. Especially on a bigger screen.

You will hear people say this game looks amazing, and you will agree to disagree. Why? Because you can't argue against another person's art style preferences, even if the game is only running at 720p@60fps.

This is not about opinion. A game on a higher resolution looks better, period. A thing can't be amazing if there is a trivial way to make it even better. We are pretty much forced to this because Nintendo decided for us what looks good enough. This is a hardware limitation that could've been avoided but someone who is not the consumer decided giant pixels are good enough for us peasants. That is what angers me and even more so when someone defends it.

And before someone accuses me of just bashing Nintendo, I'm pretty pissed at Sony too for skimping out on a system that should've easily managed 1080p/60fps from the get go.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
F0X said:
Xbox resolution confirmed.

Lol. But its better. Because its 60fps compared to some xbox games.

A lot of people kept saying it was 1080p even though all signs pointed to 720p, so I'm glad to see this confirmed.

Really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things though.

daredevil.shark said:
F0X said:

It is better because the lack of the magical sharper filter .

Bayonetta 2 will be 720p @60fps too, as will Mario Kart 8.

"X" will surely be 30fps, like Zelda U .

Around the Network
vivster said:
F0X said:

You will hear people say this game looks amazing, and you will agree to disagree. Why? Because you can't argue against another person's art style preferences, even if the game is only running at 720p@60fps.

This is not about opinion. A game on a higher resolution looks better, period. A thing can't be amazing if there is a trivial way to make it even better. We are pretty much forced to this because Nintendo decided for us what looks good enough. This is a hardware limitation that could've been avoided but someone who is not the consumer decided giant pixels are good enough for us peasants. That is what angers me and even more so when someone defends it.

And before someone accuses me of just bashing Nintendo, I'm pretty pissed at Sony too for skimping out on a system that should've easily managed 1080p/60fps from the get go.

You couldn't be more far off. The consumer will decide if Nintendo's output is good enough, and will use more factors than "it could've looked better on more powerful hardware" to make their decision. What you're doing is applying your standards and your definition of "amazing" to everyone, and completely ignoring that there are both objective and subjective measurements to quality, and on a person-to-person basis, subjective CAN outweigh objective.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

vivster said:
F0X said:
vivster said:
orniletter said:
vivster said:

People who believe just because SM3DW is in 1080p that the WiiU is powerful enough for more hardware hungry games like Bayonetta and X.

and it looks fantastic !

And I hate this "But it looks amazing". No it does not. Amazing is pretty much the highest rating one could give but it definitely would look "amazinger" on more powerful hardware. So it just looks "ok" in comparison to what it could look like. As I said before, I cand't stand if games are held back by poor hardware. I'm used to PC level graphics which means 1080p and 60 frames. So NO, 720p does not look amazing. It looks jagged and washed out out with those fist sized pixels. Especially on a bigger screen.

Well, your entitled to your opinion just as much as anyone else.  But it sounds to me like you want cutting edge.  The only way to get that is to buy the right PC card.  Not sure what else to tell you.

As for your comment in bold, not sure what will EVER make you happy lol.  Because things are ALWAYS improving, and you can make that statement about EVERYTHING.  Therefore, nothing in life is amazing.

g911turbo said:
vivster said:
orniletter said:
vivster said:
orniletter said:
vivster said:

But but but the WiiU is so powerful that it can run everything at 1080p!!!

I guess they must've crank-ed up (pun intended) the graphics considerably with crazy lighting effects and 8xAA.

Who said that ?

The WiiU was built with 720p in mind and the grand majority off all firstparty titles are/will be 720p60fps.

and it looks fantastic !

And I hate this "But it looks amazing". No it does not. Amazing is pretty much the highest rating one could give but it definitely would look "amazinger" on more powerful hardware. So it just looks "ok" in comparison to what it could look like. As I said before, I can't stand if games are held back by poor hardware. I'm used to PC level graphics which means 1080p and 60 frames. So NO, 720p does not look amazing. It looks jagged and washed out with those fist sized pixels. Especially on a bigger screen.

SM3DW does look amazing, and quite frankly I don't think any content in the game would have been different with more powerful hardware.   Plus, you thought it WAS 1080p about 5 mintues ago.  For a colorful, cartoonish game like Mario, resolution definitely matters less.  And how big is your TV?  Mine is 65", and I've been unable to put SM3DW down for the last week.  Looks great, plays better.

The Wii U hardware is the Wii U hardware - are you really not sure what to expect anymore???  DK isn't even a multiplat for Christ sake!  So not sure what people are complaining about.

The fact that it plays amazing is probably doing the weak graphics a good service because it distracts.

I'm playing on a 40" tv but i'm only sitting about 1-1.5m away from it. Any closer and I could see even the pixels of 1080p. I know my standards are much higher than the average person that is used to 720p from the last generation but it still sucks. Fun fact: I almost got eye cancer from TLOU with all the muddy textures and no AA whatsoever. I thought it would be different in the next generation but obviously it's not and yet they proud themselves calling themselves "next gen".

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

ethomaz said:
daredevil.shark said:
F0X said:

It is better because the lack of the magical sharper filter .

Ha ha ha.

vivster said:

The fact that it plays amazing is probably doing the weak graphics a good service because it distracts.

I'm playing on a 40" tv but i'm only sitting about 1-1.5m away from it. Any closer and I could see even the pixels of 1080p. I know my standards are much higher than the average person that is used to 720p from the last generation but it still sucks. Fun fact: I almost got eye cancer from TLOU with all the muddy textures and no AA whatsoever. I thought it would be different in the next generation but obviously it's not and yet they proud themselves calling themselves "next gen".

Sorry to hear.  Sounds like you should get a good PC rig and I don't mean that sarcastically.  

Also, that sounds borderline OCD!