By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DKC: Tropical Freeze is Native 720p @ 60fps (Upscaled to 1080p)

Tagged games:

Nintendo doesn't care for your resolution gate

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
g911turbo said:
orniletter said:
Acevil said:
orniletter said:
Good enough for me.

Better than 1080p @ 30fps

I agree with you, but it seems these days the resolution seems more important than the fps. Given it would be nice if it was 1080p @ 60 fps.

Only if you are comparing XBone and PS4 titles

to be honest: Mario 3D World is only 720p with a tiny bit AA and it looked almost as good as the native 1080p Wind Waker HD

This.  Once I realized that Mario was "only" 720P, I realized that the Wii U would be fine.  

We'd all love to have 4K resolution for all our games, but at the end of the day the devs need to focus on overall performance of the game and not one particular metric.

I mean, yes XBone vs PS4 is obviously a bigger deal when you are comparing what is literally the same game at different resolutions with different price tags attached to the consoles.

....but Mario and Donkey Kong aren´t multiplat....and they look fine for me *shrugs*

vivster said:
orniletter said:
vivster said:

People who believe just because SM3DW is in 1080p that the WiiU is powerful enough for more hardware hungry games like Bayonetta and X.

Donkey Kong running 720p is not really encouraging for those titles.

Super Mario 3D world is 720p too :)

and it looks fantastic !

Then I got lied to in that other thread.

And I hate this "But it looks amazing". No it does not. Amazing is pretty much the highest rating one could give but it definitely would look "amazinger" on more powerful hardware. So it just looks "ok" in comparison to what it could look like. As I said before, I cand't stand if games are held back by poor hardware. I'm used to PC level graphics which means 1080p and 60 frames. So NO, 720p does not look amazing. It looks jagged and washed out out with those fist sized pixels. Especially on a bigger screen.

You will hear people say this game looks amazing, and you will agree to disagree. Why? Because you can't argue against another person's art style preferences, even if the game is only running at 720p@60fps.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
It's not a huge deal, yet part of me feels it's still unacceptable. The graphics do not look that demanding to where they could not have upped the resolution. Rayman Legends managed it, DK should be able to as well.

Legends uses 2D sprites and limited 3D models for the dragons/bosses. It was 1080p 60fps on the PS3 and XBox 360 as well. You know, 8 year old graphics hardware. What does that say about... nevermind

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

1) it doesn't really matter
2) this is retro's first HD game and first with wii u hardware

This is their test title. This is what they used to experiment with Wii U to see what it can and cannot do. Make mistakes and learn now with a relatively minor title.

Their 2nd title will push the boundaries and pull in what they learned from this one.

There is a reason all of Nintendo's first titles have been 720p and I'd bet it has more to do with HD experience than it does the hardware. There is a significant learning curve and now that they almost all have one title under their belt, their next titles will progress a lot.

However, as I pointed out with #1... who cares. 720p and 1080p are not that much different to most people. But the solid FPS would be more noticeable and I'm glad Nintendo is proving to be very consistent with 60fps.

Around the Network

In this thread, I learned that Super Mario 3D World is 720p. I would never have noticed otherwise so I guess it'll be the same with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Signature goes here!

SubiyaCryolite said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Well for the Graphic Worshipers, Mario Kart 8 , Super Smash Bros U, and Bayonetta 2 are confirmed to be 1080p 60FPS.

Bayonetta has NOT been officially confirmed by platinum to be 1080p, ome random guy at siliconera said so and everyone jumped on it. Smash looks like a  Wii game with good clean textures so thats a no brainer, no DOF, No motion blur so 1080p should be a cakewalk. Kart I'll wait and see. And people who like good graphics arent worshipers, its 2014 even my phone is 720p, forgive us for expecting more from dedicated gaming hardware. Especially at the price we paid

At he end of the day, FPS is more desireable than 1080p. Nintendo isn't really experienced with HD games. 

vivster said:
orniletter said:
vivster said:
orniletter said:
vivster said:

But but but the WiiU is so powerful that it can run everything at 1080p!!!

I guess they must've crank-ed up (pun intended) the graphics considerably with crazy lighting effects and 8xAA.

Who said that ?

The WiiU was built with 720p in mind and the grand majority off all firstparty titles are/will be 720p60fps.

People who believe just because SM3DW is in 1080p that the WiiU is powerful enough for more hardware hungry games like Bayonetta and X.

and it looks fantastic !

And I hate this "But it looks amazing". No it does not. Amazing is pretty much the highest rating one could give but it definitely would look "amazinger" on more powerful hardware. So it just looks "ok" in comparison to what it could look like. As I said before, I can't stand if games are held back by poor hardware. I'm used to PC level graphics which means 1080p and 60 frames. So NO, 720p does not look amazing. It looks jagged and washed out with those fist sized pixels. Especially on a bigger screen.

Come on now, there is always "more and better XXX" , calling Mario 3D world "ok"-looking because the developers would have been able to add more polygons to Mario´s ass crack on a monster PC is doing it a disservice.

Is The Hobbit a "better" looking film than gone with the wind because the former contains more information (48 vs 24 fps) than the latter ?

There is more to the visuals than singling out one facet.

SubiyaCryolite said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Well for the Graphic Worshipers, Mario Kart 8 , Super Smash Bros U, and Bayonetta 2 are confirmed to be 1080p 60FPS.

Bayonetta has NOT been officially confirmed by platinum to be 1080p, ome random guy at siliconera said so and everyone jumped on it. Smash looks like a  Wii game with good clean textures so thats a no brainer, no DOF, No motion blur so 1080p should be a cakewalk. Kart I'll wait and see. And people who like good graphics arent worshipers, its 2014 even my phone is 720p, forgive us for expecting more from dedicated gaming hardware. Especially at the price we paid

My phone is 480p and it was kinda expensive.

vivster said:
orniletter said:
vivster said:
orniletter said:
vivster said:

But but but the WiiU is so powerful that it can run everything at 1080p!!!

I guess they must've crank-ed up (pun intended) the graphics considerably with crazy lighting effects and 8xAA.

Who said that ?

The WiiU was built with 720p in mind and the grand majority off all firstparty titles are/will be 720p60fps.

and it looks fantastic !

And I hate this "But it looks amazing". No it does not. Amazing is pretty much the highest rating one could give but it definitely would look "amazinger" on more powerful hardware. So it just looks "ok" in comparison to what it could look like. As I said before, I can't stand if games are held back by poor hardware. I'm used to PC level graphics which means 1080p and 60 frames. So NO, 720p does not look amazing. It looks jagged and washed out with those fist sized pixels. Especially on a bigger screen.

SM3DW does look amazing, and quite frankly I don't think any content in the game would have been different with more powerful hardware.   Plus, you thought it WAS 1080p about 5 mintues ago.  For a colorful, cartoonish game like Mario, resolution definitely matters less.  And how big is your TV?  Mine is 65", and I've been unable to put SM3DW down for the last week.  Looks great, plays better.

The Wii U hardware is the Wii U hardware - are you really not sure what to expect anymore???  DK isn't even a multiplat for Christ sake!  So not sure what people are complaining about.