By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MICROSOFT: Q2Results - 3.9m ONE and 3.5m 360's. Qtr Rev up 14% !! to $24bn. Qtr profits up to $6.56bn. HUGE!

TheSource said:

What are we all thinking for lifetime X360 figures? For calendar 2013 (Jan-Dec), Microsoft shipped 7m systems, and the holiday quarter (with Xbox 1 competing against it) pushed X360 down 40%. I think best case sceanrio for 2014 is ~4m X360s, and then another ~2m in 2015, ~0.5m in 2016. That would put X360 right around 90m lifetime, in 11 years on the market. Probably would have done ~70m without Kinect.

Sounds about right. That is quite the step up from the previous generation :)

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Ashadian said:
kowenicki said:

I expect a big drop in 360. Obviously around 3m shipped ONE's and some decent news on Mobile and Surface.  Record revenue and proift for the quarter is likely.

UPDATE:

Revenue of $24bn and profits of $6.56bn.  Incredible numbers.

BBC:

Microsoft reports better-than-expected earnings

Microsoft's shares rose on the back of better-than-expected quarterly profits

The firm reported a net income of $6.56bn (£3.94bn) for the quarter, up from $6.38bn a year earlier.

Its earnings were boosted by strong sales of its new Xbox game console and its Surface tablets during the holiday season.

The company also saw strong demand from businesses for its cloud services.

Overall, the firm's revenue rose 14% during the quarter to $24.5bn. Its shares rose close to 4% on the news in after-hours trading.

Microsoft's chief executive, Steve Ballmer, called it a great quarter and said that investments the firm was making in devices and services was driving the strong results.

The quarterly results showed a 13% increase in consumer sales. This was boosted by 7.4 million unit sales of Xbox consoles, up from 5.9 million a year earlier.

The new Xbox One, which was launched in November, contributed more than half of overall Xbox sales numbers in the quarter.

Sales of the firm's cloud programs, such as Office 365 and Azure, more than doubled in the December quarter from a year earlier, while sales of its Surface tablets doubled from the previous quarter.

You would think the way you post these articles that you own MS or have significant investment in it. I don't understand why your so chuffed at their financial results???

Also why don't you compare the financial results of Apple,Samsung and Google to MS who are their real competition? 

er..

I do.... as I do in Apple.  lol.

I dont understand why you are so upset about it?  Anyone would think you massively prefered a competitior or something.

Im not comparing MS results with anyone... Im reporting their awesome results.  And for your information MS doesnt compete with Samsung in any way really, there is no similarity whatsoever.  Apple and Google are also very different businesses to Microsoft.

I'm not upset about it at all! Sony's finances don't make any difference to me. You sound exactly like the guy on a mobile phones forum always bigging up Samsung and their financial state as though you were CEO's or significant shareholders. MS have always been richer than Sony. Nothing new here. How do you thing Bill Gates is so rich??? I've seen some sad things but i find it absolutely hilarious and downright crazy when people use finacial results to big up a company they are fanboys of. Talk games and consoles!

Yes your right  Apple,Google and Samsung aren't MS main competitors. It must Sony and Nintendo and good old Sega!

I think you'll find Apple and Google are MS main competition. Especially as both have OS's. Samsung is a another big threat especially in the devices section. 

kowenicki said:
Zekkyou said:
Ashadian said:

You would think the way you post these articles that you own MS or have significant investment in it. I don't understand why your so chuffed at their financial results???

Also why don't you compare the financial results of Apple,Samsung and Google to MS who are their real competition? 

I've always just gotten the impression he just has an overly invested obsession with them (i can't think of any other reason a full grown man would show such excitement over such things).

OT: Anyway, a really amazing quarter. Any guesses for how long the growth will be sustainable?

You know nothing about me.... I have large investments in MS, as I do in Apple and many others.

I am also interested in the business side of things, and work in the investment world.  Any questions?

Best you keep you veiled insults to youself thanks.

As for you OT... for a very long time.  MS has always known how to run a vusiness.  The last 10 years of growth over growth and increased revenue and profits shows no signs of stopping. 

Yes of course you do! Your Carl Icahn or Daniel Loebe

Ashadian said:
kowenicki said:
Zekkyou said:
Ashadian said:

I've always just gotten the impression he just has an overly invested obsession with them (i can't think of any other reason a full grown man would show such excitement over such things).

OT: Anyway, a really amazing quarter. Any guesses for how long the growth will be sustainable?

You know nothing about me.... I have large investments in MS, as I do in Apple and many others.

I am also interested in the business side of things, and work in the investment world.  Any questions?

Best you keep you veiled insults to youself thanks.

As for you OT... for a very long time.  MS has always known how to run a vusiness.  The last 10 years of growth over growth and increased revenue and profits shows no signs of stopping. 

Yes of course you do! Your Carl Icahn or Daniel Loebe

Sort it out mate, this is a sales site and financials are significant news.

Samsung announced a fall in profits this year. The made $7.7 bn, compared to $9.40 bn in the previous quarter, and $8.18bn in the same quarter a year earlier. The shares have also been falling after analysts were less optimistic about the future. In fact, the total value of Samsung's shares is $190 bn. Sony's is worth a tenth of that! Quite emberassing since both Sony and Samsung are so similar. 

Apple will also announce results in a few days and I expect their profits to be down as well.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
Darth Tigris said:

Sony did do that.  And it was a bad business move.  They were insistent on including Blu Ray with the PS3, insistent on the Cell, insistent on a difficult-to-get-at-first architecture and the result was an overly expensive system that wasn't selling enough that didn't have a library of games to justify the price.  The entire profits of the previous two generations were lost and the once profitable Playstation Division went from being the crown jewel of the company to yet another division that was causing losses.

There are stockholders that have been saying that MS needs to sell of the Xbox business for years, all because it's not as profitable as the evergreen ones of the company.  What do you think they would say if it was even less profitable because of what you are proposing?

Listen, if the Xbox One and PS4 were $99 at launch, I'd still be looking for 10% off coupon.  We always want to pay less if possible.  But these company's are trying to make money too.  That ultimately IS the point of a business.

The diff with that scenario is Sony provided the IMO "superior" product to justify that cost at least hardware related. in this case MS has the IMO"inferior" product but are trying to price it at a premium which is kinda arrogant. Anyway i dont wanna get in to the this vs that. I feel in MS current situartion they could afford to take a loss per sale, gain marketshare in the process and gain the 20% loss back in gold subscriptions and software. Or lose the Kinect and stop trying to force that on the consumer sell at a more competitive price point. Im sure with a decent game library (which looks encuroging at the moment) a Kinectless version would sell for  ~425 maybe even ~450 if they bundle Gold

In an effort to not change the goalpost, we're talking about making financially sound business decisions here.  What Sony did with the PS3 was the equivalent of sticking a fork permanently into the loss leader strategy.  MS adopted it too with the 360 initially but they both left last gen looking at Nintendo and saying "there has to be a better way".  This gen both of them came in to make money at jump and they are (well, should be; have to wait on Sony's financials to be sure).  It's a better strategy long term, especially for stockholders who are watching things closer this gen.  For MS to go back to a loss leader strategy in order to gain marketshare that will likely come in time anyway would be regressive.  Manufacturing cost will go down and the consumer price of the XBO will too.   No reason to panic about anything this early, especially with the kind of numbers that they've sold at already in limited countries.  

If anything they will continue to lose marketshare at this price the bleeding will not stop untill they lower there price. The only country that is really showing interest in the system is the US they cannot survive this gen on that alone

MoHasanie said:

Samsung announced a fall in profits this year. The made $7.7 bn, compared to $9.40 bn in the previous quarter, and $8.18bn in the same quarter a year earlier. The shares have also been falling after analysts were less optimistic about the future. In fact, the total value of Samsung's shares is $190 bn. Sony's is worth a tenth of that! Quite emberassing since both Sony and Samsung are so similar. 

Apple will also announce results in a few days and I expect their profits to be down as well.

Apple will have a Record quarter for the Christmas period! Also with expansion into China with the largest network in the world and with the Ipad mini Retina freely available i expect Apple to have another great quarter too.

Ashadian said:
MoHasanie said:

Apple will have a Record quarter for the Christmas period! Also with expansion into China with the largest network in the world and with the Ipad mini Retina freely available i expect Apple to have another great quarter too.

Agreed, it was and iPad christmas. Just look at the jump of the actual models (iPad Air, iPad mini Retina + the entry level iPad mini) on christmas eve and christmas:

https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/ipad_models/from_date:-42,to_date:-21

kowenicki said:
TheSource said:

What are we all thinking for lifetime X360 figures? For calendar 2013 (Jan-Dec), Microsoft shipped 7m systems, and the holiday quarter (with Xbox 1 competing against it) pushed X360 down 40%. I think best case sceanrio for 2014 is ~4m X360s, and then another ~2m in 2015, ~0.5m in 2016. That would put X360 right around 90m lifetime, in 11 years on the market. Probably would have done ~70m without Kinect.

I predicted here

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=150782

You need to adjust tho, you have end of 2014 at 83m but it's already at that :P

kowenicki said:
Seece said:
kowenicki said:
TheSource said:

I predicted here

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=150782

You need to adjust tho, you have end of 2014 at 83m but it's already at that :P

This is true... but I aint jumping then gun for fear of being ripped to shreads by the mob.

another 30% drop YOY puts it at 88m shipped, far higher than your lifetime total. I agree 360 is dropping hard but it did only drop 30% this year afterall.