By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MICROSOFT: Q2Results - 3.9m ONE and 3.5m 360's. Qtr Rev up 14% !! to $24bn. Qtr profits up to $6.56bn. HUGE!

kowenicki said:

I expect a big drop in 360. Obviously around 3m shipped ONE's and some decent news on Mobile and Surface.  Record revenue and proift for the quarter is likely.

UPDATE:

Revenue of $24bn and profits of $6.56bn.  Incredible numbers.

BBC:

Microsoft reports better-than-expected earnings

Microsoft's shares rose on the back of better-than-expected quarterly profits

The firm reported a net income of $6.56bn (£3.94bn) for the quarter, up from $6.38bn a year earlier.

Its earnings were boosted by strong sales of its new Xbox game console and its Surface tablets during the holiday season.

The company also saw strong demand from businesses for its cloud services.

Overall, the firm's revenue rose 14% during the quarter to $24.5bn. Its shares rose close to 4% on the news in after-hours trading.

Microsoft's chief executive, Steve Ballmer, called it a great quarter and said that investments the firm was making in devices and services was driving the strong results.

The quarterly results showed a 13% increase in consumer sales. This was boosted by 7.4 million unit sales of Xbox consoles, up from 5.9 million a year earlier.

The new Xbox One, which was launched in November, contributed more than half of overall Xbox sales numbers in the quarter.

Sales of the firm's cloud programs, such as Office 365 and Azure, more than doubled in the December quarter from a year earlier, while sales of its Surface tablets doubled from the previous quarter.

You would think the way you post these articles that you own MS or have significant investment in it. I don't understand why your so chuffed at their financial results???

Also why don't you compare the financial results of Apple,Samsung and Google to MS who are their real competition? 

Around the Network
Ashadian said:

You would think the way you post these articles that you own MS or have significant investment in it. I don't understand why your so chuffed at their financial results???

Also why don't you compare the financial results of Apple,Samsung and Google to MS who are their real competition? 

I've always just gotten the impression he just has an overly invested obsession with them (i can't think of any other reason a full grown man would show such excitement over such things).

OT: Anyway, a really amazing quarter. Any guesses for how long the growth will be sustainable?

Zekkyou said:
Ashadian said:

I've always just gotten the impression he just has an overly invested obsession with them (i can't think of any other reason a full grown man would show such excitement over such things).

OT: Anyway, a really amazing quarter. Any guesses for how long the growth will be sustainable?

These comments are just unnecesary...i mean i rarely agree with Kowen but he hasnt done anything in this thread to deserve these comments directed at him.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

kowenicki said:

MS can reduce price and I agree they will. 

They can afford it EASILY.

They have cash cow xbox sideline in LIVE that dwarfes anything anyone else has.

Totally. Could afford to go under PS4 price without breaking a sweat.

Carl2291 said:
kowenicki said:

MS can reduce price and I agree they will. 

They can afford it EASILY.

They have cash cow xbox sideline in LIVE that dwarfes anything anyone else has.

Totally. Could afford to go under PS4 price without breaking a sweat.

So you agree with me yet tell ppl to ignore my post due to bait? Wow

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

You know nothing about me.... I have large investments in MS, as I do in Apple and many others.

I am also interested in the business side of things, and work in the investment world.  Any questions?

Best you keep you veiled insults to youself thanks.

As for you OT... for a very long time.  MS has always known how to run a vusiness.  The last 10 years of growth over growth and increased revenue and profits shows no signs of stopping. 

It wasn't an insult, it was an observation :P I have Aspergers so I've spent most my life with one obsession or another, so it tends to be very easy for me to notice when others do. In your case you spend several hours a day defender the actions of a company on a video game forum. Both from a business and a moral standpoint.

It doesn't matter if you have several billion invested in them, those kind of actions are the most common signs of someone being overly invested/obsessed in something (attempts to justify said obsession being the second, possibly third depending on the persons age. Seeing as your above thirty, acting condescending towards others opinions of your "obsession" would probably be second). Again, not intended as an insult, you'd get a similar defensive reaction from me if you were to argue with me about various topics related to space (particularly gravity, my primary "overly invested obsession" of the last 6/7 years).

2008ProchargedGT said:

So you agree with me yet tell ppl to ignore my post due to bait? Wow

Your post was bait because you tried luring him into an argument about how he cares oh so much about MS, while adding in your un-needed and silly little jab at the Xbox One with the "inferior console" bollocks.

Dont try bait him into a petty off topic argument.

DirtyP2002 said:
Seece said:

So those magical Android profits, where are they now? Because they're certainly not in HARDWARE. Oh but wait, the Hardware division profited. I thought it lost $2b annually thanks to Xbox?

Shows how dumb those people were touting that, and here is your proof.

LoL I forgot about this one.

N1!

Not really. It seems Microsoft is using the Android royalties, that are near 2 billion dollar per year, to cover up the losses the Xbox devision is making.

See here;

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-is-making-2bn-a-year-on-android-licensing-five-times-more-than-windows-phone-7000022936/

Well then.... Things got really messy here.

OT: I'm not at all surprised at Microsoft's profits for this quarter. After all, their Business and Servers Divisions are really strong. For all the flak Microsoft received for its comedy of errors on the XBone, at least the good parts of the company are doing deservingly well.

DirtyP2002 said:

@ bolded:

No.

Xbox Revenue increased 1.2 billion USD YOY.
cost of goods sold increaesd 1.6 billion USD YOY.

This does not mean that the difference between revenue and cost of goods is minus 400 million.

Xbox One launch mode means: We are profitable with the Xbox One,

Auf Deutsch: Einnahmen durch Verkauf von Ware X : 1.2mia. Kosten durch Produktion von Ware X: 1.6mia => Differenz: -400mio. Ist das jetzt klar, dass 400mio WENIGER reinkamen als durch Produktionskosten ausgegeben wurden?